SC Kansas

I'm now probably 80% shed and way more things to do than I have time for.I added 80 acres that butted to 2 sides of my place today so that is another project.I need to get holes drilled for 30 fruit trees I have coming and get fruit trees pruned but first I need to shed hunt.

I'm now probably 80% shed and way more things to do than I have time for.I added 80 acres that butted to 2 sides of my place today so that is another project.I need to get holes drilled for 30 fruit trees I have coming and get fruit trees pruned but first I need to shed hunt.

I keep meaning to pull cards out of the 2 cameras I have out, but I am guessing the batteries are dead at this point anyways. Glassing from the back deck I saw a average buck last week still carrying antlers. Almost all the pen raised down the road from our house still have complete head gear, but they have life easy in the pens. Nice amount of acres to add, I have been daydreaming about what it would be like if I could eventually add another 80 - 100 acres on the west edge of our property.

It's taken alot of years but I happened to mention that I would be interested several years ago and we worked a deal.I actually had a heck of new buck show up yesterday and my 3 biggest bucks aren't shed as of last night

Still have good bucks that haven't shed.Here is a cedar patch that i threw a camera up in,kind of makes the kill every cedar argument maybe rethink.

Attachments

• cedar1.jpg
    cedar1.jpg
    547.4 KB · Views: 55
  • cedar2.jpg
    cedar2.jpg
    440.1 KB · Views: 39
  • cedars.jpg
    cedars.jpg
    563.1 KB · Views: 45
Yea I am not in the camp of kill every cedar, it will have some impact on TSI on my place in terms of cost share. I can probably break off some acreage and do complete eradication, but there are other areas where I am leaving or even planting some.

I understand completely. I kill a lot of cedar’s but I also leave groves of them alone in areas I want them. I am often times selective in killing female trees and leaving males for cover.

It's really kind of strange because they are using as much for shade as they do thermal when cold.It's been in high 40s -high 50s and you can see they are moving and bedding at all times

I am guessing this area is only 20 yards across but about 10ft elevation above surrounding area

Attachments

• cedars1.jpg
    cedars1.jpg
    473.2 KB · Views: 34
  • cedars2.jpg
    cedars2.jpg
    413.8 KB · Views: 39
Planted some fruit trees that came in this week for the new orchard.Some were from Turkey Creek and some from Blue Hill.I think these are the best bareroot fruit trees I have ever planted both companies had really good root mass.I have 28 in this new area and will set up a watering system.I am also planting vitalize seed in this area to see how it does.I did my rows 30 ft apart and trees 25 ft apart so should have lots of good spacing for several years.

What kind of watering system are you going to use?

I use 1/2 irrigation line and use the hold spike then put in the small connectors hook to a garden hose and run to a 275 gal tote with either 1 or 2 sump pumps that have garden hose connectors fill generator half full,start and leave. I used this to water 50 cedars and it worked good

I had a thread about the fire that my neighbors started and burned through some sandhill plums and killed some oaks.Some of the sandhill plums are starting to sprout from the roots

Attachments

• burned sandhills1.jpg
    burned sandhills1.jpg
    167.8 KB · Views: 20
  • burned sandhills.jpg
    burned sandhills.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 23
Good to see the plums can overcome fire. Obviously sets back the height of what you had, but at least its not a replant situation. I saw a slick little idea on the Christmas tree growers Facebook page the other day. A guy pulled his water tank behind the tractor and ran a line to the bucket of his loader. He would just line up and lower the bucket to below the tank and let gravity due the rest.

Finally got drip system set up for new orchard,I give each tree around 4 gals in a couple hours.Set up for 30 trees.I planted Vitalize seed in between middle rows and soybeans and sunflowers on outside

Attachments

• IMG_4369.jpg
    IMG_4369.jpg
    127.5 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_4370.jpg
    IMG_4370.jpg
    110 KB · Views: 25
Called in a long beard from behind that tote trailer last week of season for my daughter.He wouldn't strut far enough for a shot for awhile then finally decided to walk around it.I thought this was a good picture of a pretty velvet buck

Attachments

• vineantlers.jpg
    vineantlers.jpg
    444.5 KB · Views: 19
Wild weekend for sure in SC Kansas,early sat morning a storm blew in and anywhere from 70-90 MPH winds out of the west.Hundreds without power and huge trees blown down. Trees all over the farm are down along with at least 4 mature fruit trees and lots of walnut and cottonwood damage. I did get the ok from the wife to get a grapple.Won't really know what timber looks like until winter but alot of tops blew out.

Wild weekend for sure in SC Kansas,early sat morning a storm blew in and anywhere from 70-90 MPH winds out of the west.Hundreds without power and huge trees blown down. Trees all over the farm are down along with at least 4 mature fruit trees and lots of walnut and cottonwood damage. I did get the ok from the wife to get a grapple.Won't really know what timber looks like until winter but alot of tops blew out.
That’s unfortunate

Has anyone used one of the grapples from Titan?

I've used a Craigslist grapple. It works fine but I imagine the Titan brand is much better. It looks more heavy duty. Try to keep your loads centered. Get lop sided and you risk twisting/warping the attachment. Sorry you ended up with damage. It hit a lot of people.