SC Kansas

buckdeer1

5 year old buck +
I have a tour over on Deer forum but thought I would move some over here. I started buying this land 25 years ago with the timber that was no good anyway at least according to the farmer.It was 65 acres.Since I have added around 230 adjoining acres since then. Around 103 acres is farmed for ag, along around 50 acres of NWSG and the rest being timber and shrub plots. We have planted around 5000 trees and shrubs.big field.jpgapple4.jpg

I have some trees that need to get bigger cages soon in the orchard,along with my wildflower planting,I got the seeds from American Meadow and they seem to have done good

Attachments

• swamp orchard.jpg
    swamp orchard.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 52
  • wildflowers.jpg
    wildflowers.jpg
    122.8 KB · Views: 52
nice buck!

I think the cages are working....

Looks great!
Love the plum patches, we got a lot of our original wildflower seed from American Meadow too.

Great looking plum patch, do you find you get a lot of wildlife use associated with them?

Every animal and most birds feed on the sandhill plums. They are also the easiest shrub to grow and spread well on their own.Heres a winter pic,these are over 6ft tall

Attachments

• chickisaw plums.jpg
    chickisaw plums.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 54
Both nice bucks!

Sandplums are ripe and the birds and other animals haven't eaten them yet.They are mighty fine tasting.And the 9pt is still growing

Attachments

• sandplums.jpg
    sandplums.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 64
  • big9-10.jpg
    big9-10.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 61
This pic shows left side are of johnson grass I sprayed with plateau after I burned to right,next to ranger see JG that growed normal choking out native grasses.I have finally got most of it sprayed now.It will kill it even now but is easier about a week after burning in spring

Attachments

• johnson grass.jpg
    johnson grass.jpg
    136.1 KB · Views: 44
15 years ago this was a blow sand ag field that the farmer wanted to quit messing with so I broadcast NWSG by hand in 40 MPH winds and it worked.I had taken the drill back to NRCS a couple weeks before deciding to do this. I then planted a few cedars and some oak seedlings. There are also shrub plots with sand hill plum,fragrant sumac, choke cherry.One picture is from the east and the other from the west.There are all types of wildlife that stay in this area of the farm but I would really prefer bucks not bed there but most of the time they let me drive right by the area.

Attachments

• IMG_2349.jpg
    IMG_2349.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_2350.jpg
    IMG_2350.jpg
    104.8 KB · Views: 48
Damn army worms,I sprayed sunday after finding a couple.It really helped.Heres a pic of very little worm damage but the deer have been eating and then a pic of bad worm damage where I missed.We have been having to spray double crop beans but not the full season.

Attachments

• army worm.jpg
    army worm.jpg
    86.9 KB · Views: 35
  • army worm damage.jpg
    army worm damage.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 33
Some sprayed beans,and one of my Real World enlist bean plots

Attachments

• soybeans.jpg
    soybeans.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 26
  • north bean field.jpg
    north bean field.jpg
    117 KB · Views: 25
Great looking bean plots, apple trees as well!

The kids picked about 20lbs of sandplums last weekend. Going to be some jelly made! Everything looks great over there!

They should have came over and picked some to sell,I had tons this year.I also have never seen this many fawns ever.We picked 3 more buckets of apples and asian pears tonight

We had tons this year too. Only stopped because we had enough. Never considered them sellable but I just went to marketplace and sure enough there is a market for them.