Best Midwest bedding/Cover possible?

williams111

5 year old buck +
I am debating taking out 5 acres of row crops to turn into the most preferred bedding/cover I can create to help deer survive/hide during gun seasons. I understand this question is very location specific. My original plan was blocks of switchgrass with rows of mixed conifers/shrubs in between the blocks. I can confirm areas like this are hot spots for sheds, not sure if that correlates with preferred bedding during the fall or if its just preferred late winter bedding. The priority is survival for the deer, not necessarily huntability. I have discussed this with the local DNR forester and he is on board with my plan. He even stated I could add other "fun" things in afterwards, like fruit/nuts. He is great to work with and I assume nearing retirement. With a little luck I can get this completed before he is done. I was about to move forward with the project last year. This 5 acre field hadn't been in row crops long enough to be eligible for CRP. Which is not a deal breaker, but I decided to hold off to see if the new farm bill would allow such project. This area is about half ag half timber/pasture. Below is what I am thinking. I am open to opinions and suggestions. TIA
GREEN-Rows of norway/cedar
RED-Shrub Strips
TAN-MISCANTHUS (not sure if this would be worth while until the Norway/Cedars get big enough for screening?)
PINK-Travel corridors/food plot trails

1704995212935.png

When I tried it on a few acres some years back I thought dense Norway spruce planting was the way to go. My sources back then said they were bullet proof. That turned out not being the case. Nothing beats dense timber here, but since that's not a suitable goal, I think you're headed down the right path currently. Looking forward to other responses. 5 more acres will hold a few deer, but it's not like the whole herd will pile in when the war starts.

I'm not sure where you are located, but in SE MN I think your plan would work well. I would probably plant increase the % of shrubs and conifers and decrease the % of switchgrass. I like the combo that includes rows of shrubs next to rows of conifers, but I'd also recommend leaving a few solid 1/4 acre blocks of shrubs and a few solid 1/4 acre blocks of shrubs. Sometimes they feel a little safer in wider blocks than in more well defined rows. For shrubs, I would select wild plums, hazelnut, dogwood and ninebark. White spruce has always worked well for me, so I'd go with that or norway spuce.

I like the idea of having a wall of spruce around the property line screen things off from the neighbors. To add a little late season food in this area, I'd also add a couple dozen red splendor crabapples from your local soil and water conservation department. I usually get a pack of 20 of these every spring and they typically cost around $50. They hold their fruit most of the winter and will give some bonus calories to the wildlife.

Let me know if you find any CRP programs that allow that type of tree/shrub planting. I have some acreage that I'd eventually like to put into a similar project.

My best bedding spots are where we clear cut. The areas came back with a 4 foot tall grass with all kinds of different shrubs. I think it's the mix of grass and shrubs that are the key?. The other spots are aspen and grass/ weed mix. They use the really thick aspen monoculture but don't seem to bed in it where there is not the tall grass.

When I tried it on a few acres some years back I thought dense Norway spruce planting was the way to go. My sources back then said they were bullet proof. That turned out not being the case. Nothing beats dense timber here, but since that's not a suitable goal, I think you're headed down the right path currently. Looking forward to other responses. 5 more acres will hold a few deer, but it's not like the whole herd will pile in when the war starts.
Dense timber as in clear cut regen? I understand 5 acres wont save that many. If it saves a buck occasionally I am good with that. Once this field is combined it does nothing for the wildlife currently.
I'm not sure where you are located, but in SE MN I think your plan would work well. I would probably plant increase the % of shrubs and conifers and decrease the % of switchgrass. I like the combo that includes rows of shrubs next to rows of conifers, but I'd also recommend leaving a few solid 1/4 acre blocks of shrubs and a few solid 1/4 acre blocks of shrubs. Sometimes they feel a little safer in wider blocks than in more well defined rows. For shrubs, I would select wild plums, hazelnut, dogwood and ninebark. White spruce has always worked well for me, so I'd go with that or norway spuce.

I like the idea of having a wall of spruce around the property line screen things off from the neighbors. To add a little late season food in this area, I'd also add a couple dozen red splendor crabapples from your local soil and water conservation department. I usually get a pack of 20 of these every spring and they typically cost around $50. They hold their fruit most of the winter and will give some bonus calories to the wildlife.

Let me know if you find any CRP programs that allow that type of tree/shrub planting. I have some acreage that I'd eventually like to put into a similar project.
I am in eastern Iowa. I will take those thoughts into consideration, and add those shrubs to my potential list. Something is better then nothing, right now this field is basically nothing for the wildlife.
My best bedding spots are where we clear cut. The areas came back with a 4 foot tall grass with all kinds of different shrubs. I think it's the mix of grass and shrubs that are the key?. The other spots are aspen and grass/ weed mix. They use the really thick aspen monoculture but don't seem to bed in it where there is not the tall grass.
I agree, that's why I was thinking mixing in the switch. My land doesn't grow grass in clearcuts, mostly multiflora rose and bush honeysuckle.

Last edited:
I agree about thinning out the the amount of switchgrass. I think the rows of evergreens and shrubs is a good idea, but they may not be thick enough. You would definitely be creating a lot of edge, but it would take quite a while for those types of cover to mature for deer to start bedding in those areas. If you make some of those rows slightly thicker you might solve a few different problems.

My 2 cents. Plant your micanthus row into a wider band of Switch grass( say 20'), if you are looking for screening. The rest into NWSG (Switch, Big Blue, Indian) and put some thicket clumps and a few evergreen clusters. Your plan seems like a lot of rows that wont give you added ROI.

I agree about thinning out the the amount of switchgrass. I think the rows of evergreens and shrubs is a good idea, but they may not be thick enough. You would definitely be creating a lot of edge, but it would take quite a while for those types of cover to mature for deer to start bedding in those areas. If you make some of those rows slightly thicker you might solve a few different problems.
The picture may not depict the actual width of the rows. I know with the original CRP contract we were discussing there were a certain number of trees and or shrubs per acre that would need to be planted. The forester said he didn't care if I planted them all in 2 acres or spread out over the 5. How many rows of evergreens and shrubs would you suggest per row?
My 2 cents. Plant your micanthus row into a wider band of Switch grass( say 20'), if you are looking for screening. The rest into NWSG (Switch, Big Blue, Indian) and put some thicket clumps and a few evergreen clusters. Your plan seems like a lot of rows that wont give you added ROI.

So your suggesting a wider row of switch for screening and more switch instead of trees/shrubs?

The picture may not depict the actual width of the rows. I know with the original CRP contract we were discussing there were a certain number of trees and or shrubs per acre that would need to be planted. The forester said he didn't care if I planted them all in 2 acres or spread out over the 5. How many rows of evergreens and shrubs would you suggest per row?

So your suggesting a wider row of switch for screening and more switch instead of trees/shrubs?
I think you will be happier in the long run with Switch as your screen than that much Micanthus. The cost and manpower to install the Micanthus is going to be a lot more. I just think a diversified tall grass mix over the field is easier to install, going to be useful in 2-3 seasons. Trees take much longer to grow to meet the goals you have mentioned. Pockets of trees and shrubs can be planted to provide more permanent structure. Personally I just don't see planting that many rows of trees and shrubs to be cost effective and produce results for you real soon in terms of creating deer bedding cover.

"I am debating taking out 5 acres of row crops to turn into the most preferred bedding/cover I can create to help deer survive/hide during gun seasons." -- Williams111

To be clear, you're wanting to save deers' lives during gun seasons? Main priority here? Not just "good deer bedding."

Have you considered just having your farmer plant a workhorse, really tall and tough corn hyrbrid that can stand into the winter? 356 just posted on the other thread that he regrets not hunting the corn field because when it got harvested a bunch of big bucks ran out of it. Other than that, I still think 5 acres of caged and protected spruce/pines will be your best bet. If you're ok with waiting quite a few years.

I've been considering doing this to about 3 acres on my hunting property. I was going to go the mixed tall grasses with shrub / spruce pockets route, but Mort's idea of a tough corn left standing may be a great idea. This area is already hidden from the road by a finger of woods and a drop in terrain, so I don't need screening.

How are you taking csre of the norway / cedar /brush plantings? Do you harvest any trees reguarly, like heating firewood?

IF you can leave some tops / branches around those plantings. Like do a 1/4 or 1/3 a year.

Maybe consider enclosing the area with switchgrass, millet, or somethign else tall every year until established on the inside.

maybe to the southeast, clearcut a lane going towards the road. Give the deer a more comfortable travel route back to your parcel.

IT would be nice seeing the area on a little larger scale. How deer may go from the neighborhood to this spot.

Your goal is holding deer when the pressure is on. My thoughts:

* I don't believe in having travel corridors in a place I want to hold deer when pressure is on. It just makes routes for predators (including dogs). I see three homesteads in that picture. You are likely to have dogs.

* I don't believe in food plots in those places either. Food plots have to be maintained by a human. Deer (especially mature bucks) remember where they have encountered humans and human scent in the past. It will keep them from going to those places as sanctuary when pressure hits. Some natural browse that only requires a little spring maintenance is what you need in sanctuary areas when pressure is on. They will browse there during daylight and visit your human infested food plots at night.

Good luck

I think you will be happier in the long run with Switch as your screen than that much Micanthus. The cost and manpower to install the Micanthus is going to be a lot more. I just think a diversified tall grass mix over the field is easier to install, going to be useful in 2-3 seasons. Trees take much longer to grow to meet the goals you have mentioned. Pockets of trees and shrubs can be planted to provide more permanent structure. Personally I just don't see planting that many rows of trees and shrubs to be cost effective and produce results for you real soon in terms of creating deer bedding cover.
I think you’re right about the switch, it would certainly be easier to plant. The trees/shrubs would be planted with a tree planter with some cost share dollars coming from the CRP program for establishment hopefully. I am 35 so hopefully I have plenty of years left to enjoy the trees. Below is the crp program I was originally looking at and the forester said this project would be eligible. https://www.fsa.usda.gov/Assets/USDA-FSA-Public/usdafiles/Conservation/PDF/CP33.pdf

Last edited:
5 acres . I’d plant rows of cedar, spruce, pine with a few shrub rows. Maybe a row of oaks that keep their leaves ….L shaped and then switchgrass/native grasses. One acre can be sorghum!

CRP had a program for riparian where it was trees then shrubs then NWSG,after 3 years they sent letter saying I had to burn NWSG that year.i called them to ask how to protect the shrubs and trees since by then the NWSG had spread into the shrubs and trees.After thinking about it they decided that might not be best idea.This will be your issue also.With my lighter soil I plant alot of chickisaw plums and have started planting in rows about 10 ft apart and throwing some NWSG in between rows knowing I won't burn.In your case I would just let it grow in weeds between your tree and shrub rows.

CRP had a program for riparian where it was trees then shrubs then NWSG,after 3 years they sent letter saying I had to burn NWSG that year.i called them to ask how to protect the shrubs and trees since by then the NWSG had spread into the shrubs and trees.After thinking about it they decided that might not be best idea.This will be your issue also.With my lighter soil I plant alot of chickisaw plums and have started planting in rows about 10 ft apart and throwing some NWSG in between rows knowing I won't burn.In your case I would just let it grow in weeds between your tree and shrub rows.
This is something I had asked the forester, he mentioned other ways to maintain the switch or mowing around the switch to give the trees enough of a buffer to avoid fire damage. Think that would be possible? That is something I will have to figure out prior to signing anything. Thanks!

"I am debating taking out 5 acres of row crops to turn into the most preferred bedding/cover I can create to help deer survive/hide during gun seasons." -- Williams111

To be clear, you're wanting to save deers' lives during gun seasons? Main priority here? Not just "good deer bedding."

Have you considered just having your farmer plant a workhorse, really tall and tough corn hyrbrid that can stand into the winter? 356 just posted on the other thread that he regrets not hunting the corn field because when it got harvested a bunch of big bucks ran out of it. Other than that, I still think 5 acres of caged and protected spruce/pines will be your best bet. If you're ok with waiting quite a few years.
I hadn’t really considered that, I do have 2 acres of standing corn that I leave to the east side of the timber. The main gun seasons I have issues with losing deer is the shotgun seasons. Those seasons are the first 3 weeks of December.

I have a 30 acre woodplot that really needs thinning. The problem is that none of the logging companies will bring their equipment into such a small area to cut. Given that, I am going to do some thinning myself by basil bark spraying the undesirable trees and some hinge cutting to make bedding areas and travel corridors, I have even given thought to cutting some of the trees that would make good lumber myself and taking them to a small sawmill to have sawn into lumber. Whatever a person does to increase the habitat and help the deer herd is hard work and takes time to see benefits. I just hope that I have time to reap those benefits. but It does keep an old dude busy and in shape.

I like the proposed layout but it looks like a ton of work!

I've never dealt with switch but have heard others mention that you're going to want to burn it and having that many rows of other stuff in the middle of it might make that tough.

One thing I struggle with is when screening the perimeter of something like this - how to you discourage deer from bedding in the perimeter and looking out from it such that they would bust you? I wonder if just having miscanthus and not having conifers right up against it would help in that regard?