The Land of Milk and Honey

T-Max

5 year old buck +
Well, after watching many of your threads, I think it may be time to start my own. I always feared I would start one of these and it would get boring because I always forget to take pictures of what I do. We'll see what happens. :)

I live on 5 acres in North Central Kansas (Zone 5a). Out my back gate my family has about 220 acres of ground where I do most of my hunting. The challenge I have is about 180 acres of that is native grass pasture which is devoid of any trees and brush. At this point, I am powerless to do anything about that. The balance of the property consists of three bottom fields, two of which are in brome, the third is fallow and where my father winters our cattle. There is a spring-fed creek which is our southern border and runs year round. There is a 5 or so acre block of timber in our bottom as well. I have been girdling unwanted species and trying to release desired trees. Our timber is predominately bur oak with a mix of walnut, hackberry and elm making up most of the rest. It is heavily canopied and makes for a ton of visibility through the understory. Where I could I created a tornado effect to try and reduce visibility, create browse, and just generally set back succession. The neighbors to the South are great stewards. They own around 400 acres and solely promote wildlife there. It is the hub of our deer activity. The neighbors to the East lease their ground to an outfitter who has absolutely no standards at all. (That really sucks.) The neighbor to the West owns around 600 acres. He is a "decent" neighbor. He and 2 of his kids hunt that property. They have shot plenty of mature deer through the years, so they generally hold out for something that is grown. They practice some hunting techniques that I am not thrilled about, (radios, driving deer with 4 wheelers, etc...) but they will not hunt at night or out of season. Their pressure moves deer to the Southern neighbor where they are safe. Our property is almost exclusively a travel corridor from one neighbor's to the next. But I am working with what I have.

Besides the TSI, my main project has been a food plot. I have one acre of flat ground to work with. I am allowed to use it because it is very poor... I planted 25 persimmons there in the spring of 2014. Only 7 remain, but they look pretty good. That fall I tried throw-n-mow on about half an acre. The results were okay, but not great. I tried to expand it to the full acre last fall and was overrun with grass and weeds. That brings us to my current status...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We’ll see how this resolution looks. Our property is in red. My house is the blue box. Dad lives in the green area. The road headed South from his house (our West line) is a dead end road. It gets very little traffic as it only provides access to our place and our Western neighbor. My efforts are focused on the Southern third of our property.
16ab6bd7ac626f40bf075f08b9278c60.jpg

Zooming in. The blue line is the pasture fence. Dad is nice and keeps the cattle North of the fence until after my rut hunting vacation. :)

The fields as described previously and the red is my food plot. Not ideal, but I am playing the cards I was dealt. This year I was given permission to convert our East little bottom field from brome to food. I chose soybeans.
8784acb349d97676895285459c93013c.jpg

Here is an area of South facing hillside I am clearing. It was dominated by a canopy of Kentucky coffee tree. The red area is my old food plot. The area in green was hinge cut about 3 years ago. The area in yellow is where I am clearing most of the trees. The areas I have cleared so far are filling in nicely with native grasses and are starting to be utilized as bedding. It is time to start thinning cedars on this hillside already. I started this about 6 years ago.
6d27b18a308659e00f4438faf2f2cf94.jpg

Here is a look from West to East down my project.
74c00501d010fca7d6b09469147e1893.jpg

This spring I started the transition of one of our bottom fields from brome to something more useful. It’s a little hard to tell, but I mowed the outline of the future plot.
d66be909e75dc137a86d48faa71ed85e.jpg

This allowed for several things. First it allowed dad and I to see the plan before committing to anything permanent. We both liked it. As outlined, the red line is the mowed path. The two yellow dots are high spots with slopes I stayed away from since I will have to rely on conventional methods for a while. The blue line is a saddle between the high spots where the land slopes away from both ways with the lower left eventually exiting the field to the upper left. The creek flows from lower left to upper left and then to the upper right. You can see our new blind on the far edge of the field.
ada10428415869a735730b6c91aadbb7.jpg

We planted the field to beans and they grew quite well.
362c43bf906f391bc601b00d2dfaccb7.jpg

The drought is hitting them hard right now but they are holding on. Not sure how much more they can take though.

Last edited:
Today I mowed the remaining brome around the perimeter of the field. My hope is that if it ever rains again the brome will green up. Then after a frost or two I will hit with gly and drill NWSG in it next spring. This is the widest spot, most of the field has a 10-15 yard buffer strip. 2 to 2-1/2 acres total.
adc245b6679b5a8f6a9a8897fcf40b1a.jpg

^. Looks like your on it to me. Nice piece of land. Beautiful countryside.

Sounds like you're doing all you can. Where you have the high spots in yellow and blue of post #7 would be a good spot for apples. Turkey Creek probably has some good ones for your area.

that buffer is going to be nice!

Some day when the wind is t blowing I will take the drone up and try to get a nice aerial.

Plant some Crabapples and Pears

Nice!!!

Nice property! Love seeing these threads. So, my in-laws live east of Newton KS. We drive through the flint hills to get there. Are you close to the flint hills? Some rugged country there.

Just off I-70 right on the edge of the Flint Hills.

I dug up a bur oak seedling from my step-grandfather’s property about 5 years ago. It was 12-18” tall little whip at the time. Planted it in my yard and kept it watered for the first year only. It has been a great growing tree!
f291d00019a9833b093c89647179f12a.jpg

Went out today and noticed it had 2 acorns! I was not expecting that. Especially in such a dry year…
935d2d91b2d4a82ac833814625ef4050.jpg

Kind of nice having some KS guys on the site. I'm about 1.5hrs south of Newton. Smack dab in the southern tip of the Flint Hills.