G&H Farms

IMG_9032.jpeg

This is food plotting in the south where plants grow almost year round. In Apr of this year, I was turkey hunting in what was a wheat/rye food plot - right here. Six inch tall bright green vegetation. Now weeds hood high on a 65 hp tractor. Couldnt get a tractor down here this year until two weeks ago.

Last edited:
IMG_9026.png

Looks to be a good native pecan year

An out of control fire will definitely increase the pucker factor! The only reason I ask is because we do it here for two reasons. One, we begin sectioned burns about 2 months prior to the dove opener and two, so the millet seeds do not germinate.

However, I totally understand not burning in the kind of weather we have been having.

An out of control fire will definitely increase the pucker factor! The only reason I ask is because we do it here for two reasons. One, we begin sectioned burns about 2 months prior to the dove opener and two, so the millet seeds do not germinate.

However, I totally understand not burning in the kind of weather we have been having.
That is always a worry - get a heavy rain and you go from heavy seed on the ground to a green field in four days.

View attachment 55867

My trails take a lot of effort - probably 6 miles at least. Limb trimming, bush hogging, clearing dead branches, and repairing ruts - takes a lot of man power - and a good reason not to have a cab tractor.
Now is the time to cleanup those bottomlands

About the only redeeming factor of the 100degree+weather/drought

bill

View attachment 55921

This is food plotting in the south where plants grow almost year round. In Apr of this year, I was turkey hunting in what was a wheat/rye food plot - right here. Six inch tall bright green vegetation. Now weeds hood high on a 65 hp tractor. Couldnt get a tractor down here this year until two weeks ago.
That looks like sumpweed( what I call it, anyway)
I have tons of that and smartweed and giant ragweed in my creek bottoms

bill

That looks like sumpweed( what I call it, anyway)
I have tons of that and smartweed and giant ragweed in my creek bottoms

bill
Name of it is marsh elder. It is good for nothing that I know of. Deer wont touch it, no showy flower for pollinators - hogs will bed in it. Worthless as far as I know. -

The obvious challenge is to find a plant beneficial to wildlife that would do well in conditions where marsh elder, smart weed, etc thrive

I haven't found any yet

bill

Been doing a good bit of bush hogging lately - can finally get in the bottoms. Was at it for 7 hours today - a cool start but a hot finish

the big fields are easy, but monotonous.

Sky Plant Ecoregion Cloud Natural environment

the little fields often have a surprise or two - a log that washed in, a hole that washed out - or some unwanted help

Ecoregion Snake Reptile Scaled reptile Terrestrial animal

the woods plots are grown up more - I guess since they have a little shade, they dont dry up as quick and put on a lot more growth. This plot was six inch tall wheat in April. Now it is 8 ft tall in some places - giant ragweed. Supposed to be a good deer food - not on my place

Plant Green Leaf Automotive tire Motor vehicle

was going to check out a duck hole, but the vegetation was thick and head high - and I wasnt the only one there - one set of tracks going in. Gator’s track about 4” longer than my hand. Decided to wait for another day

Bedrock Grass Finger Road surface People in nature

IMG_9071.jpeg

This is exactly what you are talking about. Millet seed sprouted from one rain in six weeks. Had to spray again today.

img_9085-jpeg.404058

img_9088-jpeg.404060

img_9090-jpeg.404061

ran 15 lbs (3 gallon) muscadines through the juicer steamer and ended up with 5 1/2 quarts juice. Going to end up being some jelly and some drinking grape juice. Still got quite a few more to pick - but it is taking awhile - half are still green.

Can you harvest gators down there like deer, or are they protected? Up in my area, over 10,000 deer licenses are sold. That same area maybe gets 200 bear tags per year. I would imagine our deer to bear ratio is about 3 to 1. In the two weeks I've run cams, I've got more bears than deer.

Can you harvest gators down there like deer, or are they protected? Up in my area, over 10,000 deer licenses are sold. That same area maybe gets 200 bear tags per year. I would imagine our deer to bear ratio is about 3 to 1. In the two weeks I've run cams, I've got more bears than deer.
Public areas have very limited draw. Right next to me is a 29,000 acre lake, sloughs, swamps, and creeks. Not uncommon to be fishing at night in a 20 acre slough and see a dozen gators. Over that whole 29,000 acres, there is a drawing for three permits. Next to impossible to draw.

Then, there is a private land gator permit. In my four or five county area, there is a harvest quota of 71 private land gators for those five counties combined. Buy a $5 permit and you can hunt gators - two weekends in Sept - on private land. When the 71 gator harvest quota is met, the hunting is stopped. First night, you better be all in. The last couple years, the private land quota has been hit the third night.

I really like the private land quota - but it has its pluses and minuses. The public land drawings often have successful applicants from across the state. I have never been successful drawing a permit on the public lake that is 3/4 mile down the road from my house. The private land over the counter permit at least allows locals to hunt their own land or Other private land in the area with permission. It can be a short hunt, but better than no hunt.

The private land quota gator hunt, like our state’s private land quota bear hunt - gives many more folks an opportunity - and especially those who might have those animals actually living on their property. But, it is problematic in that you go all in, and the quota is hit three days in and season is over. Our bear hunters, in particular, may prebait for 30 days before season, and then quota may be hit in three days after season is open and all that hard work may be for naught.

The gator hunt doesnt have the prehunt effort like bear baiting - but, you have to decide that first night what you want. We have a minimum size on gators of four ft. If you pass a seven footer the first night, looking for a big one, quota may be gone in a day or two. I have access to a 15 acre lake that has at least two gators in it - a 6/7 ft and a 10 plus. I would like the big one, but would settle for the smaller one. Since it is very difficult to gator hunt by yourself, I will have a partner and the safest avenue is to kill the first one available and if that happens, move on to the next.

Been doing a good bit of bush hogging lately - can finally get in the bottoms. Was at it for 7 hours today - a cool start but a hot finish

the big fields are easy, but monotonous.

Sky Plant Ecoregion Cloud Natural environment

the little fields often have a surprise or two - a log that washed in, a hole that washed out - or some unwanted help

Ecoregion Snake Reptile Scaled reptile Terrestrial animal

the woods plots are grown up more - I guess since they have a little shade, they dont dry up as quick and put on a lot more growth. This plot was six inch tall wheat in April. Now it is 8 ft tall in some places - giant ragweed. Supposed to be a good deer food - not on my place

Plant Green Leaf Automotive tire Motor vehicle

was going to check out a duck hole, but the vegetation was thick and head high - and I wasnt the only one there - one set of tracks going in. Gator’s track about 4” longer than my hand. Decided to wait for another day

Bedrock Grass Finger Road surface People in nature

A good reminder for every time i'm feelin a little jealous of warmer climates abilities to grow more things and how fast some of it grows.. I think I like our trade offs.

IMG_9216.jpeg

IMG_9214.jpeg

Another view of the results of not burning a millet field. Has resprouted for the second time. I am going to let it go this time. It may head out before first frost. We used to have winter doves that would cover up a late crop. They dont come here anymore. But song birds of all types make use of the abundant seed source

I never realized there were gators in AR.

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

I never realized there were gators in AR.

Here is a monster. Turned out the slough I was going to hunt had submergent vegetation so thick the trolling motor wouldnt run. Had to pole the boat which made a lot of noise. Big gator was having none of it. Saw him once and he went down never to be seen again. There were at least seven or eight in that eight acre hole of water. Most about this size. We turned it into a frog night and this little gator got too close. Threw him back to grow some more or become food for the big one.

IMG_9245.png

IMG_1068.jpeg

Had biscuits, gravy, and fried froglegs this morning for breakfast.

IMG_9242.jpeg

Just curious, but do you have any idea how far North they are in Arkansas?