G&H Farms

Nice one,did they throw it back

IMG_8697.jpeg

Garden starting to produce. Okra just started, green beans next - put up over five gallons of them, and just started picking purple hull peas this eve

IMG_8701.jpeg
Picked about 3/4 bushel

IMG_8704.jpeg

But got interrupted by a texting cam. Committed a cardinal sin and didnt check the magazine. Only three rounds. Killed two and missed one. Might have got another one or two with full mag

IMG_8705.jpeg
Took about 15 min to shell 3/4 bushel

Up until now I have somehow missed this thread. Really enjoyed catching up!

That's a sharp looking rifle!

That's a sharp looking rifle!
It is a remington R-15 in .450 bushmaster. Had it for nearly 20 years. Tried quite a few different calibers for night time hog hunting and the .450 does the best for me. It is a thumper - but hogs can still run off taking several rounds. The .223, 6.5, .300 Blackout class calibers - after the first standing shot - usually leave you wondering if you hit anything. You can shoot a hog pretty good with a 6.5 grendel and not know you hit it. A lot of folks will say - what difference does it make as long as you hit it. I want to know I hit it so I can go on to the next one and not keep shooting at one I have already hit. The .308 is a dang good round, but an AR 10 class rifle is usually pretty dang heavy. I look a lot through my thermal while I am walking up on the hogs. I turn my red light off 100 yards away and shoulder my rifle and look through the thermal to see where I am walking. I like to get fifty yards or closer. The closer you are when you start shooting, the better the chance for multiple kills. Usually pretty easy to get up 50 yards away. I have my hog feeders set up in open areas with cleared lanes where I am in cover until I get fifty yards away. I usually have two lanes of approach, depending on wind. I shoot off a single leg trigger stick - easy to drop when the hogs get running and you need to go to offhand shooting. The only downside the the .450 I have seen is a maximum of seven round mag and the .450 is not a coyote gun - if you choose to hunt yotes. 100 yards and in is what I prefer. I have shot so many hogs for so long, they are almost totally nocturnal on my place. It has been several years since I saw hogs out feeding in daylight.

^Thanks for sharing your land events here. Nice to know how others manage habitats. Interesting stuff. Much different from my area.

Your place is unbelievable. Its 400 ac that could be sequestered from the rest of the world. Love love love it. Well done!

IMG_8772.png

We seem to have a bumper crop of painted buntings this year. They are very territorial during nesting season. If you are interested in things of nature, the Ibird Pro app can be a lot of fun. These painted buntings will almost fly into the cab of my polaris ranger when I play the alarm call. They will fuzz up like a turkey gobbler

IMG_1869.jpeg

A good companion app to Ibird pro is Merlin - from cornell university - that will identify the songs of birds it “hears”

IMG_8778.jpeg

This is why plastic barrels dont make the best feeders. Squirrels chew through them and you have to make repairs

IMG_8780.jpeg
You can see my hog shooting lane back through the woods - connects to sxs trail.

We remodeled this old house into our hunting camp about ten years ago. It is on the other side of the property from my house. It had a bee hive in this same place when we started remodel. Carpenter wouldnt work until I got rid of them. I have bee hives and intended to save them. Tearing out a bee hive on second floor was bad enough. Getting stung forty times was final straw. I hit them with every wasp spray I had. Bees moved in again six months later and have been going strong ever since

IMG_8781.jpeg

View off back deck of camp - looking out over river bottoms. About half my land down there in those bottoms where nature rules. Hard work can be wiped out at anytime from flooding down there

IMG_8782.jpeg

IMG_8809.jpeg

Muscadines doing as well as can be. But, coons could strip them tonight. This is a cowart - about the size and color of native muscadine - purple - but much more prolific, thinner skin and sweeter

IMG_8806.jpeg

This is a Fry - bronze scuppernong. Larger in size than the cowart. Not as prolific. Sweeter and thinner skin than native muscadine

IMG_8808.jpeg

This is a smaller green muscadine - about the size of a marble. Thin skinned and sweet. My favorite. Very prolific - almost bunch grape like. Unfortunately, this was a replacement plant for one that died - and I dont know the name

IMG_8797.jpeg

I am not the only one checking on the muscadines