Flew a thermal drone at my place today.

I agree Dawg. You’ve gotten pretty harsh on you’re assessments on this.
To each their own. I think flying advanced heat detecting technology to survey my entrance and exit is not in the spirit of fair chase. Additionally it is absolutely impossible to only survey your route once you are airborne. You will know everything within hundreds of yards. I PERSONALLY feel these things have no business being in the air during hunting season.

I don't think that word means what you think it means. It's not a question of ethics, as that would suggest there is something morally wrong about checking, by any means, my access point. There isn't. It might not be your way of doing things, but checking access routes as well a receiving help from other people and technology is common and a natural part of hunting since humans first started hunting.

It's not a good idea to assume the way you do things is the one correct way and that you are the sole moral authority on hunting or anything else.
You said yourself it's a slippery slope. Quite the heel turn.

On a totally tangent note I’m terrified of what drones can potentially do. I wonder what their legality will be for the private individuals in upcoming years. All one has to do is google suicide drones or grenade dropping drones and watch what is happening on the battlefield in Ukraine. A hundred dollar drone and a little engineering can turn it into a killing machine. They can accurately drop a round from hundreds of feet or fly a one way drone into an open window of a house and blow it up. This strategy is starting to make its way to other battlefields in Syria and Africa. It’s a matter of time before someone uses it to kill here and Pandora’s box will be wide open.

On a totally tangent note I’m terrified of what drones can potentially do. I wonder what their legality will be for the private individuals in upcoming years. All one has to do is google suicide drones or grenade dropping drones and watch what is happening on the battlefield in Ukraine. A hundred dollar drone and a little engineering can turn it into a killing machine. They can accurately drop a round from hundreds of feet or fly a one way drone into an open window of a house and blow it up. This strategy is starting to make its way to other battlefields in Syria and Africa. It’s a matter of time before someone uses it to kill here and Pandora’s box will be wide open.
I agree with you. The potential for Illegal/nefarious uses of drones is wide open.

You said yourself it's a slippery slope. Quite the heel turn.

Proper reading comprehension requires that you understand what I said in the original context, which is this:

... it might be a slippery slope. It could be quite tempting to just go ahead and snoop around a bit more to see where the deer are or are not before going out for a hunt. I don't really like the implications of that. It would probably end up having too much impact on my expectations for the hunt and really taking the fun out of it.

I made no comment there on the ethics of using drones when hunting. I said using the drone for more than checking my access would probably take the fun out of hunting for me.

A so-called "heel turn" would require some sort of reversal on stance or opinion regarding using drones for hunting, which I haven't done here. I've said it's perfectly ethical, but overuse would take the fun out of it for me. There is no contradiction there.

To be honest - as far as deer hunting goes - I dont see much difference in the ethics - compared to texting camera use. I could kill deer in front of a texting camera - but I dont. I could find a deer on a drone and go hunt it - but I wouldnt. I think we have plenty of ways already to employee that are either illegal of unethical. Most of my texting cameras are set up over a feeding location or food plot - which would be fairly easy to approach. A lot of deer found using a drone would probably be unapproachable.

I dont like the idea of my neighbor using a drone and scouting my property or harassing the deer.

I'm betting it will be a mess. It's one of the reasons I have very little to do with drones.

I suspect it's only a matter of time before there is a high profile assassination or attempted assassination, and we get a knee jerk reaction and a sudden blanket ban on private drone ownership.

I know a few guys who make money with drones, and I know a couple guys who write computer programs, and the potential applications of drones is limitless. You can program a fleet of drones to do a wave attack with a small explosive and a rudimentary trigger, and it's very difficult to defend against. A single nutjob with an internet connection could figure out how to fly an FPV drone with a simple trigger into a high profile person. The Ukrainians seem to be fond of a stiff wire through a loop of wire that closes an electrical circuit when it runs into something at speed.

Apparently the coding required to launch a wave attack is quite simple and straightforward, while the programming needed to use drones defensively is much more difficult and can require some form of AI.

I should add: I've read about drone jammers recently, but I don't know anything about how they work.

Last edited:
I'm betting it will be a mess. It's one of the reasons I have very little to do with drones.

I suspect it's only a matter of time before there is a high profile assassination or attempted assassination, and we get a knee jerk reaction and a sudden blanket ban on private drone ownership.

I know a few guys who make money with drones, and I know a couple guys who write computer programs, and the potential applications of drones is limitless. You can program a fleet of drones to do a wave attack with a small explosive and a rudimentary trigger, and it's very difficult to defend against. A single nutjob with an internet connection could figure out how to fly an FPV drone with a simple trigger into a high profile person. The Ukrainians seem to be fond of a stiff wire through a loop of wire that closes an electrical circuit when it runs into something at speed.

Apparently the coding required to launch a wave attack is quite simple and straightforward, while the programming needed to use drones defensively is much more difficult and can require some form of AI.

I should add: I've read about drone jammers recently, but I don't know anything about how they work.
Our government uses drone jamming extensively around high value people and installations.

Ukraine has flown drones extensively into Russia to try and take out targets. They have all been taken down before reaching target, my guess is combo of jamming and guns/missle defense.

They have been very successful of using drones to take out ships. My guess it’s hard for one location to have jamming capabilities. In cities and such can have a grid of jamming.

Our government uses drone jamming extensively around high value people and installations.

Ukraine has flown drones extensively into Russia to try and take out targets. They have all been taken down before reaching target, my guess is combo of jamming and guns/missle defense.

They have been very successful of using drones to take out ships. My guess it’s hard for one location to have jamming capabilities. In cities and such can have a grid of jamming.
Ukraine has actually successfully hit several targets inside of Russia with drones. As far as Moscow

Ukraine has actually successfully hit several targets inside of Russia with drones. As far as Moscow
Yeah. But not in heart of Moscow. My guess, only a guess, is they have some pretty heavy jamming and defenses around kremlin

In Alaska you can’t fly and hunt the same day. I think drones should be viewed the same way and not be allowed to be used in any way before you hunt on the same day.

We have enough advantages over deer, so there has to be a line drawn.

In Alaska you can’t fly and hunt the same day. I think drones should be viewed the same way and not be allowed to be used in any way before you hunt on the same day.

We have enough advantages over deer, so there has to be a line drawn.
I thought about that too - but I think they have flight records for probably most of the alaska airplane flights. I think no hunting and flying the same day would be unenforceable.

I thought about that too - but I think they have flight records for probably most of the alaska airplane flights. I think no hunting and flying the same day would be unenforceable.
What game laws are being rigorously enforced? The whole thing is basically an honor system on private land especially in the SE. I’d support it!

Real interesting thread and with all technology there are great things and bad that arises.
On a side note we just had 13 people arrested who have been making drug drops at night into a state corrections facility. Amazon has nothing on these guys

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I didn't watch much of this but thought some of you guys might like to see it.
<iframe width="853" height="480" src="
" title="Drone Flies Deer To Butcher" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I didn't watch much of this but thought some of you guys might like to see it.
<iframe width="853" height="480" src="
" title="Drone Flies Deer To Butcher" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I find those individuals to be rather obnoxious. I take no issue their use of technology, but their personalities and demeanor are somewhat immature and inappropriate. I don't mind a bit of celebration over a successful hunt, but I prefer to hunt with people who are a bit more reserved and respectful.

Hooting and giggling over a deer dangling from a rope is not my cup of tea. It's a shame they presented it this way. I think it actually could be a valuable service, especially for people who hunt alone in rugged terrain and are injured or otherwise physically limited. Maybe they feel they have to present it this way in order to get views on social media, but I find it to be in poor taste.

I find those individuals to be rather obnoxious. I take no issue their use of technology, but their personalities and demeanor are somewhat immature and inappropriate. I don't mind a bit of celebration over a successful hunt, but I prefer to hunt with people who are a bit more reserved and respectful.

Hooting and giggling over a deer dangling from a rope is not my cup of tea. It's a shame they presented it this way. I think it actually could be a valuable service, especially for people who hunt alone in rugged terrain and are injured or otherwise physically limited. Maybe they feel they have to present it this way in order to get views on social media, but I find it to be in poor taste.
Yes, I don't like people like that either. I thought the whole thing was kind of stupid.

I joined the ranks last weekend. Had a friend from DDR fly my Ohio place. had the first deer pegged 20seconds after flight. Every one of the 7 deer on my 75 inside of 6 min was identified and had a few hundred ac of hill country surveyed in no time....i was bored with it all in 20 min and I am a deer dork and all consumed. These things scare me and in the wrong hands are so incorrect.

What did I learn? A couple of bedding areas which I sort of already knew.

Whats interesting is the day before I had multiple bucks on cam we did not see anywhere nearby that day. I also had more deer on cam that day than we found bedded on the property and do not have a reason as to why this would be the case. If i didn't have the cams this drone survey would've painted a different picture.

I joined the ranks last weekend. Had a friend from DDR fly my Ohio place. had the first deer pegged 20seconds after flight. Every one of the 7 deer on my 75 inside of 6 min was identified and had a few hundred ac of hill country surveyed in no time....i was bored with it all in 20 min and I am a deer dork and all consumed. These things scare me and in the wrong hands are so incorrect.

What did I learn? A couple of bedding areas which I sort of already knew.

Whats interesting is the day before I had multiple bucks on cam we did not see anywhere nearby that day. I also had more deer on cam that day than we found bedded on the property and do not have a reason as to why this would be the case. If i didn't have the cams this drone survey would've painted a different picture.
Kinda leaves an unsatisfying feeling huh. I’m one and done. Takes out any mystery and wonder. I think the more these get flown, the more we see how few good deer are on most landscapes. Maybe that will help but I have my doubts.