Another Neighbor Thread

I have a small farm operation so here is my take.

1. On the line where he is CLEARLY overplanting onto your land I would go out there tomorrow and pound a post every 50-100 feet. You can slip either a rain gutter downspout over it or take some 3-4" white PVC pipe and and make some 3-4 foot chunks and then put a cap on them and slip them over the pipe so they are visible from 1/2 mile away. Not one damn reason for him to be on your side of the line there if its really that bad. I wouldn't give 2 shits if he had standing corn or beans there either. I would kill everything on my side of the line if I didn't want it there. That shit would not fly with me.

2. On the line where your trees are hanging into his field I can definitely see why he wants them knocked back. I think he is well within his right to remove limbs from your trees hanging into his field. You should have let him pile the crap on his side and burn it. Instead he might have thought he was doing what you wanted. Woods that encroach onto field just keep being more and more of a problem. The trees choke out a few rows of production, but more importantly they have a chance to do real damage to the equipment. He should have the right to farm right up to the property line. It is frustrating in the farming world to deal with other people's trees. I bet if you would keep the edge maintained he would have no problem staying on his side. As the tree limbs from your side grow out they can push the tractors, combines and planters 10-15 feet away from the boundary to safely farm their own ground.

I'd be talking to them sooner than later that's for damn sure.

That sounds like you're a pretty rational person, as are my neighbor farmers.

I wanted to do some edge feathering on my west line that's his crop rented property. I told him I just want access, when convenient, to drop some of my trees that way and drag them back. EEzy peezy, no problem, no pissing match.

Got a similar on the east side this year. That neighbor is going to tile his field and wanted to know how to the fence would be fine. I said right to the line, baby, as I want a lot of that water gone also. Although it will be tilled into the creek that dumps into and crosses my property. My feeling is it comes onto my property anyway andit goes into the creek anyway.

I love getting along with neighbors.

I don’t think you will convince him to like wildlife, just like he won’t convince you to like his corn. He shouldn’t have done anything on your side of the fence though, but the damage was minimal.

Steel posts are relatively cheap and will prevent any future confusion about the lines without getting him all pissed off and potentially preventing you from tracking deer on his land in the future.

I’ve had neighbor relations go totally south once, and it isn’t good.

Mow his crops…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have a small farm operation so here is my take.

1. On the line where he is CLEARLY overplanting onto your land I would go out there tomorrow and pound a post every 50-100 feet. You can slip either a rain gutter downspout over it or take some 3-4" white PVC pipe and and make some 3-4 foot chunks and then put a cap on them and slip them over the pipe so they are visible from 1/2 mile away. Not one damn reason for him to be on your side of the line there if its really that bad. I wouldn't give 2 shits if he had standing corn or beans there either. I would kill everything on my side of the line if I didn't want it there. That shit would not fly with me.

2. On the line where your trees are hanging into his field I can definitely see why he wants them knocked back. I think he is well within his right to remove limbs from your trees hanging into his field. You should have let him pile the crap on his side and burn it. Instead he might have thought he was doing what you wanted. Woods that encroach onto field just keep being more and more of a problem. The trees choke out a few rows of production, but more importantly they have a chance to do real damage to the equipment. He should have the right to farm right up to the property line. It is frustrating in the farming world to deal with other people's trees. I bet if you would keep the edge maintained he would have no problem staying on his side. As the tree limbs from your side grow out they can push the tractors, combines and planters 10-15 feet away from the boundary to safely farm their own ground.

I'd be talking to them sooner than later that's for damn sure.
Good stuff here!

I like the guy OK, I just want to be left alone. I’m sure we will have a couple more discussions before it sinks into that clean farmer brain of his.

Put the fence stakes in and run a wire if you want to keep him from driving onto to your property. No more worries.

I'm with the "mark the property line very well" crowd. Also keep visiting with him to keep it civil.

It's ingrained in a lot of farmers to plant every inch. I've known guys to bulldoze tree rows clean at the cost of more than $20k. That new ground will NEVER pay itself off. They can't stand not to do it though.

The neighbor to the east is out of TX. His crop dusters sprayed a bunch of our trees. When I called to ask some specifics about who he hired and what was sprayed his replay was "The trees? What the fu#@ do you care about trees?".

Lots of people see things differently. A nice and defined property line sure helps different views come eye to eye.

How accurate do you think the County GIS or the ONX lines are?

I’d put up t-post every 25 yards or so on the border you share with him. If you’ve recently had it surveyed it shouldn’t be too hard to identify the actual line but if you’re unsure I’d pay a survey to flag it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is how my neighbors and I roll.

He's tiling his field and wants to know what works for me in a few areas.

For some what works for him, I get some bulldozer work and some tree take down.

The excavated ditch is my neighbors, this is really going help to dry me out.

Cooperation is awesome.

Attachments

• 20240506_132327.jpg
    20240506_132327.jpg
    722.8 KB · Views: 22
  • 20240506_132205.jpg
    20240506_132205.jpg
    653.8 KB · Views: 22
Every year I pick a section or an area of my fence lines and I clean them up with the goal of making it better for the farmer renting from me.

I take out dead trees, remove invasives, and limb up any branches (15’ high) encroaching on the crop field.

This year I’m having a logger take out a bunch of big basswoods and maples that currently shade the hell out of 1/4 mile of edge rows.

Since I started doing this project my farmer has been able to plant 3 more rows around the entire perimeter of my biggest field!!

Whenever I want to work on a “shared” fence line, I pick up my neighbor in the UTV and take him out there to show him what I’m doing.

100% of the times I’ve done this, my neighbors give permission to clean up both sides and end up thanking me.

Be overprotective of your neighbors land and demonstrate it to him….thats how to get him to protect yours.

Last edited:
Just me as I get a little older, Id rather be an azzhole than a doormat.....and what is allowed becomes a precedent. You tried.
I am just the opposite, sorta! As I get older I find myself becoming more humble, more tolerant and, hopefully, more filled with Grace. It's just me offering the thought that we need to exhibit more humility and less confrontation. Now, as I do my best (which is likely not very good) to practice what I preach I would expect the same in return. If I am able to turn the other cheek and get hit again - lookout!

The awesome list?

How accurate do you think the County GIS or the ONX lines are?
The county GIS has one side of my property clearly wrong. It's odd shaped and I think whoever drew the line didn't want to deal with it. It's also way off in the one corner where 3 properties come together. I've looked at over and over and I can't figure it out. There are multiple stakes. Not sure if some are wrong or what's going on.