G&H Farms

IMG_8820.jpeg

Hard shell possum (AKA armadillo) in the live trap this eve

If you would have shot him before he went in trap you wouldn't get your trap bloody

IMG_8880.jpeg

This 30” copperhead bit my Mt Cur on the tongue last night. My dog is ten years old and spends a lot of time outside in the yard - and never been bit. In 20 years of owning my place, this is only the fourth copperhead I have seen here. Have found a dozen of so rattlesnakes in the yard and dozens of cottonmouths - and fortunately - his first snake bite is a copperhead. His tongue swelled up so much he couldnt close his mouth and started have breathing difficulty and had to carry him to vet last night at midnight. A couple of steroid shots reduced the swelling and had him breathing better in 30 min

T_00007.jpeg

IMG_8887.jpeg
The little ones starting to show up. Fawn recruitment is pretty low here - typically less than .5 fawns per doe.

The piglet:sow ratio is much higher - maybe three pigs to one sow. They are born in a higher ratio - but after three months, a lot of piglets are gone. I think the cats and coyotes work on them pretty hard

IMG_8904.jpegIMG_8918.jpegIMG_8907.jpeg

IMG_8906.jpeg

I typically dont like to mow my clover, because the weeds tend to shade the clover, prolonging its life in our typically hot, dry, summers. this year the carolina horsenettle tried to takeover this plot so I decided to mow before the horsenettle put on fruit.

Deer were right back in the plot the next morning. A rare daytime hog was in that plot an hour after I finished. Hogs on my place dont root in the plots very often - unless there is a native pecan - and then they will turn the ground over under that tree looking for nuts.

IMG_8909.jpeg
IMG_8910.jpeg
Muscadines are starting to get ripe - a month earlier than normal. An unusually large crop this year.

Top pic from right, a small bronze Carlos, a purple Cowart - about the size of native muscadines, and a large bronze Fry - almost ripe. The small Carlos will ripen to the same color as the Fry. Pretty much ever critter on the place eats muscadines.

IMG_8989.jpeg

IMG_8990.jpeg
One of my duck holes - thick with smartweed. Spraying gly and spreading golden millet at same time. I usually go two ways over the smartweed to get a good kill because it is so thick and lays down when I run over it. If you can time it right with still some mud - usually get a decent stand. If it does come up ok, then the army worms will find it in september and have to spray for them.

I know ducks eat smartweed - but in my area, it is thick. They will generally not land in it when it is so thick they cant see water. They like it when water is over the top of the smartweed - but I cant put that much water on it.

IMG_8969.jpeg

Me and the one of our five grand daughters - we call her the Wildcat - did a little varmit reduction trapping before she had to start school. She loves some trapping

What's the dove situation looking like?

What's the dove situation looking like?
I would say we have somewhere around 75 on the fields at one time around 5 in the evening. Not great - but I have seen worse

It is with full regret that this is the first time I've noticed your thread. Very cool. Great looking property...as I expected. I'll be paying more attention now.

I love the picture with your granddaughter. One of our granddaughters (age 6) is here this weekend and we are planning to set some traps and target practice for deer season. Great memories and a wonderful place you have.

I love the picture with your granddaughter. One of our granddaughters (age 6) is here this weekend and we are planning to set some traps and target practice for deer season. Great memories and a wonderful place you have.
IMG_3078.jpeg
Four of my five grandkids. Had one addition since this pic. All girls - enough for a basketball team. The two oldest each have a nice deer on the wall and several like this one under their belt.

IMG_9020.jpeg

Bush hogged my browntop millet yesterday eve. Few doves around. I have seen more and I have seen less

IMG_9021.jpeg

Bush hogged millet left abundance of seed - not that it matters here - but plenty to eat if they decide to stay.

My sprayed smartweed and planted golden millet looks like a bust in two areas - dried right back up after rain. When it is 105, probably should expect that. The third area, right in front of the blind - looks decent. It was wetter.

IMG_9024.jpeg

IMG_9022.jpeg

My trails take a lot of effort - probably 6 miles at least. Limb trimming, bush hogging, clearing dead branches, and repairing ruts - takes a lot of man power - and a good reason not to have a cab tractor.

Are you going to burn the millet?
No. i burned a millet field about six or eight years ago and after burning seventy acres of pasture, it stopped at a two lane blacktop right across the road from my neighbor’s house. I used to burn as part of my job, attended a lot of controlled burning classes - that one scared me. One hundred degree temps forecast for next couple of weeks and one rain in the last month - no, I am not going to burn.

It wouldnt make any difference. In my state, we are legally allowed to top sow wheat on a disked field beginning Aug 15. I have seen many times when a 1000 lbs of wheat on a bare field would not attract a single dove. Farmers here aerial seed wheat.

I have come to the conclusion, here - in non row crop country, you have to attract your doves all summer long - burning or bush hogging a field two weeks before season will not necessarily attract huntable dove numbers. I do the same thing every year - some years eight people kill a limit in thirty minutes, some years we dont see a dove. I have no understanding of why doves are - or are not here - from year to year.