Standing beans

Bonez

Buck Fawn
This is my first post as I’m new here. I’m purchasing a chunk of property that has a green to grain food plot. 1 acre green into 3 acres beans. The beans were left standing and are still standing to this day. I am closing on the property in a month and am looking for advice. I don’t have big farm equipment to combine/harvest the beans. What can I do with these beans? I have access to a quad and UTV with a disc. What options do I have for removing the standing beans? Or do I leave them standing and just broadcast some cereal grains into the 3 acres? I appreciate everyone’s input!

What do you want to end up with in the fall?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well I’ve got a 1acre clover plot going to the beans. So really I’m open to anything

If there are beans still on them mow them and then spray with the UTV. You'll get beans again. Then broadcast cereal rye into the beans when they start to yellow in the early fall and you'll have green for the winter with some luck and early green in the spring.

Basically the beans are dead you don't have to do anything to them. You can spring plant anything into them. Its the weeds that will be coming up that are hard part.

My worry would be, if standing beans have pods this late in the year - are there no deer here

I have no worry about deer not being there. The density in the area and on the property is well in doubt. Just looking for ideas of what/how to do with this field. I may want beans again but I may also want some cereal grains. Not too sure since I have a green-grain plot.

Advertise on Facebook if someone will come combine them for a few hundred bucks, they of course keep the soybeans.

I have no worry about deer not being there. The density in the area and on the property is well in doubt. Just looking for ideas of what/how to do with this field. I may want beans again but I may also want some cereal grains. Not too sure since I have a green-grain plot.
You really need to know what you want for hunting season and how you're going to get there from here, and transition from that into the next crop the following year. If you've got standing beans left over from last year, I'd stay in that lane and keep going with beans. Anything less, and you risk whatever you have not being a draw come hunting time.

I might wait for warm soil season, spray it all off, and then broadcast in a blend of:

60% beans
30% wgf sorghum
10% sunflowers
As many pumpkin or squash seeds as you can bear planting by hand.

Then hit it with your disk to about an inch deep and then pack it. Then blow a half pound/ac rate of forage collards on there. That should give you a top shelf draw come hunting season.

If you've got a long enough season, I'd broadcast rye in once the leaves start dropping in the fall. Then you can let the rye go well into the spring/early summer and use that to cover your seed instead of tillage next year. The timing on all that depends on how long your growing season is. In the far north, it's too short to pull all that off.

Last edited:
So are there pods on the beans still? If so, then you don’t have enough deer.

If not (my guess) just plant whatever you want into them and do nothing to them. Or mow them after planting. Or whatever you want

You really need to know what you want for hunting season and how you're going to get there from here, and transition from that into the next crop the following year. If you've got standing beans left over from last year, I'd stay in that lane and keep going with beans. Anything less, and you risk whatever you have not being a draw come hunting time.

I might wait for warm soil season, spray it all off, and then broadcast in a blend of:

60% beans
30% wgf sorghum
10% sunflowers
As many pumpkin or squash seeds as you can bear planting by hand.

Then hit it with your disk to about an inch deep and then pack it. Then blow a half pound/ac rate of forage collards on there. That should give you a top shelf draw come hunting season.

If you've got a long enough season, I'd broadcast rye in once the leaves start dropping in the fall. Then you can let the rye go well into the spring/early summer and use that to cover your seed instead of tillage next year. The timing on all that depends on how long your growing season is. In the far north, it's too short to pull all that off.
This

I would without a doubt go with beans again. Overseed with berseem clover and cereal ry when the leaves start to turn yellow.

The following spring I’d spray wait 2-3 weeks, broadcast corn, broadcast some urea, and disc in.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I appreciate the info from everyone!