Two wheel drive tractors

treeguy

Yearling... With promise
Hello, I've been creeping for a while, but this is my first time making a post. I bought 33 acres last year and am looking to get a tractor this year. I've never had a tractor before, so I was wondering if getting a 2 wheel drive tractor would be a mistake? I am trying to get a tractor around 40 hp. I would use it a good bit for the property, but I think it will get a good bit of use around my house.

I am planning about 3 acres of food plots. I would like to get a tiller for a few projects but would most likely try to go no till. I will only be looking at tractors with loaders. I would also like to get a brushhog. I think the concern would be getting stuck. Our property is pretty dry, it does have a creek running through it, but there is s stone road going over it. There is also a big hill, but the stone road also goes up it. Our yard at our house is definitely wetter in the winter/spring than the property.

Thanks for your help.

Also, different question, but I have a 6 x 14" dump trailer. I'll have to measure the deck height, but would that be too tall to haul a tractor around? Most equipment trailers seem to be much lower.

I think you are asking about used tractors rather than new. Have you got some ideas what you want to spend?

40 HP is enough for a 6 foot tiller. If you want a loader then make sure you get power steering for sure. Four wheel drive or "assist" is really helpful with a loader, especially with light weight tractors......but lots of people have gotten along fine with 2WD. Just dont expect to work in muddy or high traction situations. You likely need Ag tires on a 2WD tractor too....and could go with industrial tires on a 4WD or perhaps turf tires........so you can work on your homes lawn and not make tracks, etc.

If you can afford it, I'd say buy 4WD. But money talks on tractors.......and it doesn't take long to spend 20K+ on a 40 HP tractor with a loader and 4WD.

Not sure if you could fit a 40 HP tractor and a loader into that 6x14' trailer? Maybe...but it's going to depend on which tractor you buy. I have hauled mine and an implement on a 16' car trailer and the implements hang over the back. I avoid hauling my tractor these days as much as possible. Maybe borrow or rent the "right" trailer.

I've seen alot of tractors in dump trailers. 2wd works ok. What do you have to do to get the 3 acres ready for food plots? Stumps, ruts, drainage? If getting a rototiller for the tractor, check to see what rotation it is. Forwards would be ok, reverse you could be fighting your wheels.

IF the deal seems good, 2wd can be ok. Had a little L175 18hp for years. Never got stuck, or stuck bad from what I recall.

There are times folks with 2wd would be weary of doing certain things. If time windows are small, you could get into a problem there.

What kind of soil do you have? Old timer would use their buckets to push yourself out of getting stuck.

I'd say if the tractor is 4 or 5 grand in 2wd give it a try.

Yes, I am looking at used. I was hoping to spend $10 -15k I could go up to 20k though. I'm ok with it being older. I was thinking about going cheaper to really see what my needs are and then upgrade down the road if need be.

The areas I have for plots are good to go, I could get by with no till on it. It was used as a pasture up until last year. We have a big garden at home though, that's why I was thinking of getting a tiller.

The only reason I asked about 2wd was I opened fb marketplace and saw a ford 335 in my town. That's 1975-78 43 hp, 2wd, with a loader. It was $5,500 and looked to be in really good shape for the age. It was cheaper than what I was expecting I would need to pay. I don't think I'm educated enough to buy yet though.

Your on a good path looking at that Ford with a loader. Lots of farmers used tractors like that for loader work over the years. Not sure if the tires are a big factor for your yard? For a garden situation you could keep your cost down and go with a 5 foot tiller too. Make sure that which ever tractor you get has power steering tho. Ford put Select o Speed in many of those 3000 models.....and myself I would steer clear of it. The gear tractors have better longevity.

Also, the 3000 came in gas or diesel. Old carbs and ignition systems do require some maintenance at times.....but I suppose a diesel requires some occasional work too. I like the torque of a diesel over a gas engine.

The website Tractorbynet.com has a section with owner reviews on various tractor models. Good resource. Also can check prices on Tractor House.com And google the model followed by "tractor data" to get specs on these tractors.

I started out with a JD tractor which had 30 HP and a gear shift tranny. Went to a Hydrostatic 35 HP tractor later.....as I was better able to position my stump grinder with the Hydro. Both had loaders. I later decided life is short....buy a cab......and now enjoy a cabbed tractor with HVAC. Your situation may change over the years as well. Re-selling a tractor is not very difficult if you buy the right models.

Also, a tractor without implements doesn't do anything. so search out the implements you want now.

Last edited:
I ran 100 acres with an international 560 2wd and a loader. I wasn’t winning any races plowing, but it did the job.

Depending on if you get snow or not, I would recommend getting chains if you get a 2WD. I have a John Deere 2WD 2640 with a loader. Works great. It's about 55-60 hp.

My dad cuts hay, feeds cows, and does general farm work on our little place. I do anything food plot or habitat related. We do it all with a JD 3010 and 3020. The 3010 has a loader. Workhorses. We don’t tend to push the limits and we have never been stuck. I am sure 4WD is amazing to have! But that budget can get you in a great used machine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I ran a 2WD Allis 160 for several years for plots. That old iron is heavy and aids in traction. I would make sure you fill your tires with beet juice or fluid for added weight / traction. A loader takes a lot of weight off the rear wheels when you pick up a load, which hurts a 2wd some. I think you'd be fine in that size, especially with filled tires.

I've had times where if I did not have 4WD, I could not get traction to do what I was trying t do. Sometimes this was snow covered ground or even muddy ground. Once the rear tires accumulated mud they would spin.

If you are only going with 40 hp, the 4WD will help with anything you pull.

I don't think you will ever regret getting the 4WD. You won't use all the time, but the times you need it you will be really glad you have it. Buy once, cry once!

One thing to keep in mind is that, while 4wd costs more up front, they hold their value better too. I almost feel like you get all of your money back on that option if you ever sell.

I never seem to "lose" money on my tractor and implement stuff. I do lose some on the "opportunity cost" of owning these things over other better "investments" but also gain the work performed by this equipment and a certain pride of ownership.

I like machinery and tools.....and it's a hobby-like passion working on my land in the summers. So there is that. So far, I feel the gains on my property are worth the investment in these things. Still......today I have a far bigger investment that I had originally planned in my tractor and machinery and related gear. I think we all get "sucked in" a bit over time.

I have a 1958 Ford 841 2wd tractor with a loader and I've owned it for about a decade. I believe that is around 50 hp, but I'm not 100% sure. I think it was about $3500 when I bought it, and I probably put in another $12k+ over the first couple years I owned it. Old tractors have old parts that tend to break and that gets expensive quickly.

I plant about 5 acres of plots with my tractor every year and it works great. The loader is very handy, but I leave a heavy disk or digger on the 3 point hitch to act as counterweight if I'm using the loader. You don't get much traction with a 2wd tractor if you have a heavy load in the loader.

'Thanks for all of your replies. It sounds like this machine could get me by. I haven't been super motivated to make any moves on the tractor, but if its still around this weekend I might go check it out. I'm normally pretty cheap when buying things and then end up wasting a bunch of my time either fixing or taking longer to complete the job because I don't have the right tool. I'm trying to be better. Getting a cheaper tractor could be a good learning experience though.

MY stepson bought a beat B3030 for way too much. IT works and hasn'y had a major issue, but for $14,000 he could of got alot more 2wd tractor and about any implement you want for less than what he got.

Food plot work takes little equipment. Getting a place ready for a food plot is the work. Stumps, leveling, rock removal.

Going gung ho for a weekend or two a year with a rented tractor isn't a bad idea either.

I used to own a L3200 with filled AG tires and 4wd, rarely turned on 4wd. Only issue was those late winter / early spring thin layer of mud ontop of frozen ground. NO real incidents, so scary slides.

Only reason I got a 4wd tractor was I was livign on the north face of a mountain with a 1/4 mile driweay. I had to go uphill to get to the road. Thats where the 4wd was necesary. Tractor was brand new, but felt low on HP at times because of the steep hillsides. Would of been better with 50hp. $$$$$.

Alot of guys on here making hunting properties great with just ATVs and sweat. Any tractor is a huge step in the right direction. I miss my old little L175 2wd Kubota. Co do anything, just had to do it narrow enough for the little 18hp motor. Single bottom plow. 6 tine spring tooth cultivator, 5ft flail mower in slow gear...... Beat the shovel and weedwacker anyday........ Dragged a deer or two in the snow back to the garage with it too.

Whatever you buy, make sure it has a roll bar or get one soon. Know 2 people who got bit by that. Dont wanna know a 3rd one. One died, one messed up real good.

I'm a bit over-kill on my tractor now that my land is logged and my stump work and food plots are in good shape for the years to come. Biggest jobs for me are picking up some downed trees, running a flail mower and lifting and pulling my drill. I only put about 60 hours on the clock each year now....very reduced from the past. Still.....I love being able to do my projects in any weather and with relative safety etc. Not sure if it's a great investment.....but I like owning nice things and I enjoy operating decent equipment.

Feel fortunate to have these tools and it's a joy to me to do these tasks.....which would become a PITA with extensive tillage and an open station tractor as I have done in the past. Allows me to split my time between habitat work, family time at the lake and my golf game.

The difference between 2wd and 4wd is tremendous if I got a great deal on an older 2wd I would consider it if it was in the 80-100hp range they are big enough to do a lot of work because of their weight a smaller 40-50hp tractor has so little weight that the 4wd makes a huge difference particularly if the machine has a loader.

The difference between 2wd and 4wd is tremendous if I got a great deal on an older 2wd I would consider it if it was in the 80-100hp range they are big enough to do a lot of work because of their weight a smaller 40-50hp tractor has so little weight that the 4wd makes a huge difference particularly if the machine has a loader.
80 to 100 HP to operate 3 acres of food plots is just a little overboard.....don't you think? And use in the garden or your yard is out of the question. 30 t0 50 HP is plenty for your needs and you can get along fine with smaller implements (less $$) and far less expense and operator know-how on the smaller tractors. Advice on an internet site is worth what you pay for it. Grin.

I think if you are just straight row planting and tilling on good ground, 2 WD is fine. But with habit work and all the things we want to do with a tractor, 4WD is such an advantage you will never regret it.

Buy once cry once 😉

I didn’t say a 80-100hp was good for his application but that a tractor of that size is usually fine without 2wd on the smaller tractors 4wd is defiantly a huge advantage. Although in some areas those larger farm tractors can be had very reasonably priced because the smaller compact tractors hold their price better being more desirable for small acreage.