Gun racks for cab tractors?

Maddog66

5 year old buck +
I have a JD4066R that is pretty tight in the cab but I’d really like to be able to carry a short barrel rifle in it while I’m out on the property. Possibly a pistol too, but a rifle for sure. Likely an AR platform (.22 or .223) or some sort of brush gun / guide gun….with a shotgun tube and a rifle tube.

Anyway, the mounting spot I feel like might work for me is behind the operators seat mounted horizontally ….probably from the roof somehow? One complicating factor is the tip-out rear window that I rarely use, but would hate to compromise with mounting to the glass. I think it’s wide enough back there but I might bump my head on it.

The other possible spot would be on the RHS in front of the controls / stick. In that case it would have to be vertical and might take away from foot space (size 14) and my ability to bail out the right side door in a pinch.

Do any of you have ideas or pics of what you’ve done or seen?

**bad pic for the discussion but gives an idea of the cab size.

Attachments

• IMG_4224.jpeg
    IMG_4224.jpeg
    511.8 KB · Views: 10
Check out Kolpin overhead gun holders. That's what I have seen guys put in their UTVs. They seem rock solid when installed correctly. Never heard of any of them actually needing to pull a gun out of the rack quickly, but my understanding is they hold the rifle/shotgun/etc. very securely while transporting. There are mounts that use heavy rubber bands, which is what I would guess you would use, as well as ratcheting clamps for more bumpy travel. I don't have any personally, but that's where I would start if I was looking for a gun rack for a UTV or tractor. For an ATV we generally use a plastic case/scabbard that mounts on the side, but the same overhead gun racks can be mounted on the front or back rack of an ATV for carrying tools and guns.

maybe one of the uprights like in UTV where barrel points up

I've got a Kubota L3560 with a cab. The best mount I found was in using the lower 1/2 of a Kolpin gunboot......and cutting some of the boot away so the gun was easier to grab. I attached it with a bungee cord to a bar that runs across my cab....and the boot tip (muzzle) stands on the floor. I keep a SS Rossi Lever action gun in 357 Magnum in this plastic "scabbard". It really protects the gun well....yet is quickly accessible. I also have a 357 SS revolver holstered and hanging on that same crossbar. Same ammo. Seldom have a need for use.....but they ride along for free. Both guns are relatively low cost but work well.

Last edited:
Mounting a gun seems easy compared to mount a carry box for chainsaw etc.Trying to figure how to do it on back of ROP

I have a Kolpin overhead rack in a Ranger. I'm not a fan. It's clumsy to mount, and the guns don't fit amazing. It hangs down 6"-8" and my head was bumping it frequently. I tried to sell it for a while, but didn't get any hits. I moved it to the second row the Ranger just because I didn't want it laying around.

I found one online marketed at cab tractor owners called the Gun Grabber.

It works via suction cups on a window to stabilize the barrel vertically, and a butt pad holder you screw to the floor.

I’ve never had great luck using suction cups on glass….like GPS’s on car windows…..they ALWAYS lose suction and fall off. When that happens I have a 6# gun crashing into a window or falling across my knees and feet.

Should have bought a 6R I guess 😂😂

I have a "skyjacker" overhead gun mount in our Honda Pioneer. It securely holds a Ruger bolt action 223 rifle and scope. The gun gets a little dusty at times....but I wipe it down a few times each summer and it stays in place and has not been dinged hanging there. The mount is very sound design. I think this would fit most tractors too.....but you do have to drill holes through your roof. That was no big deal in my Pioneer.