Tractor Cab or No Cab

SwampCat

5 year old buck +
Do you like a cab on your tractor or not? And why? I know I am probably in the minority, but I prefer no cab. Probably biggest reason is so I can hear my equipment running behind me. My trails are pretty tight and most of my food plots have trees, and I am not real keen about beating the cab to death with all the limbs. I also like to be out in my habitat and not closed up in a cab - I see a lot more going on. A lot of my work is spring and fall so weather isnt too hot. Bush hogging can be hot and dusty, but I still wouldnt trade that for a cab. The only time I really wish for a cab is when spraying herbicide - but I do my spraying from my 28 hp tractor. If the wind is blowing it back on me - it is too windy to spray, anyway.

I have cabs and can't imagine being without. Heat and A/C. Seems like I'm always using one or the other. Working out in the swamps or in the woods the cab makes it possible to be out there. Mosquitoes and biting flies really suck here in the summer time. Minnesota winters are too much for me without a cab and some heat. I like to hear my equipment running too, so I open a window.

I don't have a cab. In the summer I like the fresh air and hearing the implements like Swampcat. But man, in the middle of February when I am running my 7' snowblower in a driving snow and it's 3 degrees F I sure wish I had a cab.

After finally getting a cab, I would never consider going back to open canopy. Still use em both but given the choice, I'll be in the cab. Next zero turn mower will most likely come with a cab. Tired of eating dust on the zero turn.

I never had a cab but after three go rounds with skin cancer two years ago I have one now. Probably to late to help.

I don't have a cab, but just a hard canopy. A cab would be nice, but also would be a pain I think as I am up and down from the tractor a lot. Also worried branches damaging the cab & windows.

I never had a cab but after three go rounds with skin cancer two years ago I have one now. Probably to late to help.
Hope you got it under control now?

Lots of people worry about their cab and glass in the woods. I do too and I’m going to shed a tear the day something bad happens.

But in my 4+ years with a cab in the woods I haven’t had any issues.

I keep my trails cleared wide and tall, and when I go off them I take it slow.

My favorite part of a HVAC cab? Watching bees, horse flies, deer flies, black flies, mosquitoes, and snowflakes bounce off the glass😂😂.

I have one of each. Like my one without a cab better. Much better visibility. But in the heat of the summer the cab is nice.

@Maddog66 dealing with that now! Dad opened the door to look at something and hit a tree. Bye bye $600!

If you are asking the question, get a cab. I do not have a cab due to the trees and brush around our place. I’d love one if it was practical, but on our farm the open station is the way to go. Let us know what you end up with!

The tree limbs and brush are almost a non event IMO. I worried about that too....but it's not a very big deal. As said...there are so many positives about a cab. Hornets, cold, hot, safety and more. No going back for me.

I know this is really an odd way to look at it - and I know it is just me - but since I am doing habitat work in the outdoors - I feel like I need to be in the outdoors and not in heat and air as if sitting in the house. I usually do a few offshore charters each year and I detest chartering a boat with a closed salon with heat and air. I want to be outside - smell the salt, hear the gulls - and the reel when it starts screaming, taste the sweat running down my face. You are missing so much on an offshore trip sitting in the heat and air waiting for someone to tell you there is a fish on. I have the same thought sitting in a cab - feeling like I am missing something not being out in the open air.

I have both

As Swampcat has stated, you don't realize how much you rely on ambient sound to operate a tractor until you go from cables to cab

Having said that, will choose the cab 90% of the time

bill

I know this is really an odd way to look at it - and I know it is just me - but since I am doing habitat work in the outdoors - I feel like I need to be in the outdoors and not in heat and air as if sitting in the house. I usually do a few offshore charters each year and I detest chartering a boat with a closed salon with heat and air. I want to be outside - smell the salt, hear the gulls - and the reel when it starts screaming, taste the sweat running down my face. You are missing so much on an offshore trip sitting in the heat and air waiting for someone to tell you there is a fish on. I have the same thought sitting in a cab - feeling like I am missing something not being out in the open air.
It doesn’t sound odd to me. I wont buy one of those cabbed side by sides for that very reason. I feel like it would make my place feel so small to get a mini truck and ride to do work around my place.

Hope you got it under control now?
Yes I do for now. Screenings are every 6 months now. But my wife just lost most of her nose to basal cell.

After having a cab tractor I would never buy a no cab, I LOVE my cab.

My wallet said I like no cab better.

Seconded.

But heck, i dont even have my ROPS up most the time because it doesn't fit under branches.