SC Kansas

Ended up getting a grapple from a local farmer that sells implements on the side.Very heavy duty.I have some of the roads open now that connect fields and timber.I basiclly hingecut 120 acres of timber in 15 minutes.There are cotton woods 36 inches across,some broke off and some uprooted.Blew tops out of walnuts and twisted hack berries.Losing the fruit trees was the worst.But some really good looking bucks this year and lots of food.

Ended up getting a grapple from a local farmer that sells implements on the side.Very heavy duty.I have some of the roads open now that connect fields and timber.I basiclly hingecut 120 acres of timber in 15 minutes.There are cotton woods 36 inches across,some broke off and some uprooted.Blew tops out of walnuts and twisted hack berries.Losing the fruit trees was the worst.But some really good looking bucks this year and lots of food.
I'm surprised our hurricane from a couple years ago didn't get them. If the hinging has been done for you, that not all bad. Now you can go in and clean up what you want.

It was a bad storm. I've seen a ton of damage in local towns from it. Trees that you'd never think could break did. Glad you're getting her cleaned up!

I am going to try and get some new pictures on.I got another connecting 80 this last fall that is all cover so I am looking at clearing 1 plot and leaving most of rest for bedding.I am thinking about burning half of it to see how it responds but would only do if I had a night with 100% chance of rain as I don't want all the tops and logs to burn, mostly sticker vines and leaf litter.The bucks are about 50% shed and I have picked up a couple in fields but not the pair I really want to find.Getting ready to take soil samples from all my plots and get them lined out and start moving stands.

It was good to see you the other night! I didn't know you picked up another chunk. Is it bordering some you already have? Did you hunt your marsh any this winter? We had a lot of ducks but I never made time to get out.

You sure have a nice place. Lotta work went into all that. So are the bucks in post #9 (2nd pic), #97, and your trail cam contest entry the same buck 3 different years?

No the last 2 are same the first was a big 9pt found dead last year.I hit that big NT 2inch low in late Nov.He shed middle of Dec and last pic I could tell was him was late Jan and he was looking healthy.I am waiting to look for his sheds as I'm only about 50% shed.I have found 3 just changing cards but haven't looked.Jason, yes I got the 80 straight west.All timber and grass.The swamp went dry so no ducks.I had it cleaned out some and drilled a well so I can pump some water in it.Sure doesn't look the same.

This what I was talking about with my NWSG falling

Attachments

• bigblue.jpg
    bigblue.jpg
    109.8 KB · Views: 33
Anyone know of a company that still sells the all metal ladder stands?

Anyone know of a company that still sells the all metal ladder stands?
I might not be reading your question right, but I always get mine through Menards. You might still find one or two on clearance yet in your local store.

I will check to see what they have.Every other ladder stand I see has canvas seats

I will check to see what they have.Every other ladder stand I see has canvas seats
Lol, I've got several with the canvas seats. I sit on the foot platform after they rot off. Tried replacing them with wood once but squirrels ate them. Need to just spend a day welding expanded metal to them and be done with it. You might check for the double stands on sale. I've never seen one of those with a canvas seat.

Started cutting the ends of some huge cottonwood trees that fell off me and went into my neighbors field.In the background you can see the root ball that is around 12 ft tall

Attachments

• fallentree.jpg
    fallentree.jpg
    158.4 KB · Views: 14
Started cutting the ends of some huge cottonwood trees that fell off me and went into my neighbors field.In the background you can see the root ball that is around 12 ft tall

I have started trapping gophers in the orchard,These black box traps work great.I think this was number 26, not all on my ground as I trap some for other people.If anyone has them and wants some tips let me know.These are the ones that make the mounds.I'm also up to 14 sheds just not any of the ones I hoped to find

Attachments

• gopher1.jpg
    gopher1.jpg
    96 KB · Views: 14
I have started trapping gophers in the orchard,These black box traps work great.I think this was number 26, not all on my ground as I trap some for other people.If anyone has them and wants some tips let me know.These are the ones that make the mounds.I'm also up to 14 sheds just not any of the ones I hoped to find
Is that a pocket gopher?

Yes and my property has alot of lighter soil so they really tear things up,I have been trapping for a cemetery that is in this sandy area

Yes and my property has alot of lighter soil so they really tear things up,I have been trapping for a cemetery that is in this sandy area
I'd be interested in hearing more about your methods. Looks like you have a trap screwed to a 2x8 or something?

Nope,you find the mounds and then I use a probe rod to find the tunnel. Then I dig up where I have tunnel going both ways,usually between 2 mounds.I use these black box traps facing one each way.Then I put the board over the hole and seal edges with dirt.If they smell you or see light they will fill that complete hole up and just clean it out and set again.They say they travel their tunnels every 24 hours so if I have several set I will check twice a day on weekends as the cemetery I usually trap is across road from my farm.I just wear leather gloves when setting.I have caught 1 or 2 in other traps but the victor black box is best