All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Farm and Ranch life

The deer in the bottom pic weighed 270lbs when I got him mid Nov. I just got some video of the buck in post #74 tonight!!!!..pretty jazzed about that . Had mosquitos eating me up and an ant biting my arm. But was only about 45 yds away tucked into the pines so couldn't move. But I digress. His body didn't look giant to me though I believe him to be 6...bit of a guess...Plenty of bucks on the farm 250+ when they are at peak mid/late Oct. then they skinny down to around 180-200 with the rut. Wouldn't be surprised if some of the biggest scare 300lbs. Amazing what long term nutrition does.

The buck standing in post 78 is probably a 4 yr old.The 6 pt is a bull and I don't know who he is. But definitely 6+ and may be really old. The buck standing with him I believe is probably 6 and was trying to get him for a guest last yr. Perfect buck for somebody. He will be in trouble this yr if we can find him. The nontypical in post 62 is a 6 yr old. Relatively confident on him as been watching him for 3 yrs now. He gets a pass this yr and very keen to see what he might do next yr.

The 12 pt in post 61 is a 7 yr old and I tried to get him last yr. He was a bit bigger then but I only saw him once during the season driving to the barn.The 10 pt in that post is a 5 yr old and I think he is a super star that could be giant with maturity.

For chuckles here is a pic of the buck that weighed 270. Rack was only 17 1/2" wide but he scored 202 grossIMG_1068.JPG as a clean 10

Incredible! Youve created a dream land! Thanks for sharing

Bloody hot in La. to be sneaking around doing footage of velvet bucks but here's my last gasp.

I was wonder what that tall plant was. Then you said sun hemp. Never planted it so I didn’t recognize it.
Squiggly is a nice buck...

As always, I’m in awe...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last season at the ranch was one of the weakest seasons in years caused by only 3 " rain all growing season then we got 20" in Sept/Oct making the hunting extremely hard. Nonetheless here is a little video showing what it is like south of the border.

Just finished watching. Hard to imagine the quality of these bucks when it’s not a dry year!!!

We just planted the third food plot based on your mixes (2 fall, and a summer) on Thursday.... and the place just got about 3 inches of rain today. Excited to see how it turns out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Here's a video on timber management we do here on the farm to enhance habitat, upgrade the timber, and create more food for the deer. Its a key component to the overall management program.

2 years of hunting this guy. 13 hunts this year for about 30 hours all sitting against an oak tree deep in the woods with brush piled around me. 3 ticks, countless mosquitos, drenched in rain yesterday and today 82 degrees and sweat. But he walked out at 30 yards and with video running.....Video to come but I'm a bit jacked right now.

IMG_2462.JPG

Congrats!!!!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Congrats!

well done. You are without a doubt doing something right down there!!!

Sweet buck. What's he gross? Some tall tines.

Sweet buck. What's he gross? Some tall tines.
207 3/8"

Both G2's over 14", both mainbeams over 26" 40 4/8" mass. Absolute guess his age is 7 but he could be much older. Last year was first time I ever noticed him and he looked very old then.

IMG_5094.JPG