Farm and Ranch life

IMG_0068.jpegIMG_0012.jpegIMG_0068.jpegBeen trying for a while now to get video footage of some of the bigger velvet bucks on the farm...unsuccessfully.I've been out most afternoons in the heat, bugs and mosquitos to no avail. IMG_0012.jpeg Heck it's been hard to get trail cam pics of some of them. So until I can get some video thought I wold post a few pics for now .

Have sat in the heat and mosquitos trying to get video of this fella. Finally got about 15 secs then he smelled me ending that quickly. I'll keep trying

IMG_0173.JPG

We have received over 10" of rain...THIS MORNING! So being housebound and bored I edited the summer video I have so far. Hoped to have more and better but the deer have different ideas and with the heat, mosquitos, bugs and sweat this is what I have.

Unfortunately this buck is not on the video just posted. Have sat for him several times but he is completely nocturnal now. I'll keep trying.

IMG_0018.jpeg

conditions must have been right this year for Vetch. The road ditches around my area are full of it. I hadn't noticed it in the past.

conditions must have been right this year for Vetch. The road ditches around my area are full of it. I hadn't noticed it in the past.
Joint vetch---aeschynomene---grows in the road ditches in Mn.? Thats incredible. The seed is very expensive and I have to plant and maintain it for a stand to survive here. I've never seen it growing in the wild anywhere. I've probably sounded like a Baptist preacher but vetch is a top tier deer food!

Joint vetch---aeschynomene---grows in the road ditches in Mn.? Thats incredible. The seed is very expensive and I have to plant and maintain it for a stand to survive here. I've never seen it growing in the wild anywhere. I've probably sounded like a Baptist preacher but vetch is a top tier deer food!

the stuff growing here in the ditches is common vetch. white, pink, and purple flower almost clover like

That is absolutely astounding!!! Those bucks are gorgeous.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

are They all from the same farm? I think you have two farms??

My neighbor is burning through like 300 lbs a week of purina antler advantage. Maybe we’ll have some like those in a few years ;). I’m not feeding it to them, but I sure as heck ain’t going to discourage him from doing it.

Same farm. I have lived on this 1300+ acre farm for a bit over 40 years. Goal has been to keep the deer herd on 100% peak nutrition 365 days year and that has been going on for decades now. Also have a ranch in Mexico near the Rio Grande River. Whole different world down there!

Went thru 5 tons of protein in June. 4 1/2 tons in July. That on top of about 130 acres of plots

Went thru 5 tons of protein in June. 4 1/2 tons in July.

I don’t think i can convince my neighbor to put out that much :)
I thought you had a second place further south.

Roller crimped about 5 acres of an 11 acre dove filed hopefully to get doves started. Will crimp the rest of the field a week or two before season. Tons of see

Attachments

• IMG_5011.JPG
    IMG_5011.JPG
    153.1 KB · Views: 12
I know I have posted a pic of this buck before But I FINALLY got a daytime pic of him and I think he's pretty cool. Super mass. Have yet to see him with my eyes though I look practically every day. Have sat numerous times trying unsuccessfully to get video.IMG_0003.JPG

How old do you think the bucks grouped up with him are? I'm fascinated with nutrition, epigenetics, age structure, and genetic potential. Is this buck a genetic anomaly that outclasses his peers, or is he a product of age (compared to the one's he's with)?

Oh, and congrats on a daylight sighting!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Gorgeous as always!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think I may have asked this before, but is he relation to your monster 200+ clean 10? I feel like I remember sweeping beams like those. Sorry if I've been repeating myself!

I think I may have asked this before, but is he relation to your monster 200+ clean 10? I feel like I remember sweeping beams like those. Sorry if I've been repeating myself!
You have a great memory. It is fascinating how certain genetic traits seem to show up in certain areas. I have no idea where the genetic trait came from..momma, daddy, great grandparents??? Who knows.We see the same thing at the ranch where the scale is much larger but certain traits seem to carry on thru the years. We call the big one squiggly cause of the way his main beam does. Here is a pic with squiggly, and squiggly Jr. both in same frame with the same unique main beam trait. For comparison, there is a photo from years back of the 10pt you mention.

IMG_0182.JPGIMG_0962.JPG

Baker, do your bucks ever get so big that their antlers get in the way of eating? :)

He is a beautiful animal.
I’m curious in the age also and the weight of the deer. Are they really that much smaller weight wise down south?

Sure don’t look it in the pics.