Build a doe factory to create a buck factory

BenAllgood

5 year old buck +
Below is a link to Interesting new research by Dr. Johnson at UGA that shows evidence that creating a doe factory IS what you want to do in order to have more bucks. The study took place from September through December on 3 different properties. In September, the does and bucks used different parts of the property for the most part. Then, in October through December, they were in the same places. The does didn't really move. The bucks moved to the doe areas.

I'm 100% on board with that. On my place, Food = Does = Bucks.

It also keeps the bucks away most of the year so they don't have the homefield advantage. I prefer that, because I do a lot of work on my place up to Labor Day.

I agree with this also.
It just makes sense. When you're hungry, you go the fridge.
When you want.....ah...let's say a date...you find a lady.

Jeff Sturgis argues that you dont want a doe factory, because it will drive the bucks away at all times of the year other than the rut. However, then you hear that the majority of bucks highly shift their homerange once they enter Fall. Which I tend to believe more so than too many does and fawns drive the bucks away. I would rather have a good supply of does all year than hoping that does show up come Fall so that the bucks then show up.

I think he is right when he says that bucks prefer more open/mature woods in the summer because of the velvet antlers. (Makes sense to me anyway)

However, If your woods is overly open/mature I don't think you are going to get much for daylight activity with bucks outside of the rut no matter how many does you have.

Let's see ... having does on your property will attract bucks 😲

I disagree with the "doe factory" term as it is just marketing hype. Each property will be cable of comfortably hold a number of does based on food, water, cover & bedding. Does do tend to accept higher density and family groups but carrying capacity will vary. Does this time are often carrying for fawns so if they feel safe with good cover & food, no reason to move around. In late spring and summer, bucks tend to form bachelor groups and keep to themselves. I have seen small bucks with does in this time period but the mature bucks are off in their own group.

Let's see ... having does on your property will attract bucks 😲

I disagree with the "doe factory" term as it is just marketing hype. Each property will be cable of comfortably hold a number of does based on food, water, cover & bedding. Does do tend to accept higher density and family groups but carrying capacity will vary. Does this time are often carrying for fawns so if they feel safe with good cover & food, no reason to move around. In late spring and summer, bucks tend to form bachelor groups and keep to themselves. I have seen small bucks with does in this time period but the mature bucks are off in their own group.
This was briefly mentioned in the introduction of the linked paper, but I wonder if you broke it down by age class if there would still be an equal mixture of bucks and does. Said another way, are mature bucks more likely to avoid these areas with higher doe numbers except during the breeding season? I think I remember ol Jeffery making that claim. I haven't been around big enough properties to have a strong opinion one way or another. We have had some mature bucks not care at all about other deer and then others that are true lone wolfs for most of the year. The success of @Native Hunter is at least one example of this working out for him.

This is an awesome paper. Thanks for linking to it @BenAllgood. It seems like GPS collars and camera studies have really expanded our understanding of deer behavior in just the last 5-10 years.

I have mature bucks and does feeding everyday - all summer through winter - at the same feed location. Some at the same time - this time of year - usually in separate groups. I will commonly see 1 or 2 yr old bucks feeding and running with does. I have been with very few does on my property. As I built the doe herd back, buck numbers followed suit - but not at the same numbers.

I do think there is possibly that isolated piece of land may not benefit from a doe factory - but all the properties I am familiar with are better of with numbers of does.

When I was determined to increase our doe numbers - and deer in general - I read the “doe factory” information from Sturgis. I did the exact opposite of what he recommended - and never looked back. My deer density - both bucks and does - is higher than it has ever been.

This was briefly mentioned in the introduction of the linked paper, but I wonder if you broke it down by age class if there would still be an equal mixture of bucks and does. Said another way, are mature bucks more likely to avoid these areas with higher doe numbers except during the breeding season? I think I remember ol Jeffery making that claim. I haven't been around big enough properties to have a strong opinion one way or another. We have had some mature bucks not care at all about other deer and then others that are true lone wolfs for most of the year. The success of @Native Hunter is at least one example of this working out for him.

This is an awesome paper. Thanks for linking to it @BenAllgood. It seems like GPS collars and camera studies have really expanded our understanding of deer behavior in just the last 5-10 years.

I see segregation between does and bucks through the spring and summer. The does bed in the areas where I do the most habitat work and tolerate my frequent presence. But, during that time, the mature bucks use the other side where I'm seldom at. Also, the doe side is closest to civilization. On a still afternoon you might hear kids playing loudly in the distance. Does tolerate that too.

However, as the breeding season approaches, the doe side also becomes the buck side. By that time, I'm not doing habitat work anymore, and a few distant screams don't outweigh the urge for breeding. Also, the cover is thick on the whole place, so bucks feel safe moving around about anywhere.

The main food plots in the center of the property are used by both does and bucks throughout the year.

I will end by saying I love my doe factory. It's the perfect draw for bucks during the hunting season.

My properties are in farm country(Minnesota) and the bucks and does seem to have no choice but to hang around and co-mingle to some extent on the same property. Due to the overall lack of habitat.

I just work and make it the best property in the area & let the deer get comfortable there. With a sanctuary area, food. etc…

that’s all I’ve had all summer so I should be in for an epic season!

My only concern with stacking does during the summer is getting fall food established with too many mouths to feed.

Last year on my WI property (first year on property) I learned there was a large population of does/fawns and they kept my summer beans from getting too high. Fortunately the beans kept the deer off the brassicas long enough to get them established.
This year the deer browsed the hell out of my corn plot and kept it from maturing, I hope my perennial clover can be a draw enough to get the brassicas going, it certainly wasn't good enough for the corn.
Time will tell. The doe harvest will be significant again this late season.

In Iowa about every other picture is a buck. So doe/fawn, then a buck. So I definitely do not have an exclusive doe factory?

I’m sure they bed in different areas, but feed in the same crop fields and food plots.

It’s the same most of the year. I guess I’d say this topic is overrated a bit, and it depends a lot of location.

I picked up on that, too, and already had a response in my head before I got to ur post. Yours is better than mine was going to be.
I don't mind harvesting does at all, but, in my current area, I want to keep all the does for sure. Kinda like the bars: when the time is right, males are not hanging around the sausage fest, they go where the snatch is at. More snatch=more buck activity. Don't need a fancy report to figure this one out.

I picked up on that, too, and already had a response in my head before I got to ur post. Yours is better than mine was going to be.
I don't mind harvesting does at all, but, in my current area, I want to keep all the does for sure. Kinda like the bars: when the time is right, males are not hanging around the sausage fest, they go where the snatch is at. More snatch=more buck activity. Don't need a fancy report to figure this one out.
Been a long time since I've heard/read the word "snatch". 😄

Jeff Sturgis argues that you dont want a doe factory, because it will drive the bucks away at all times of the year other than the rut. However, then you hear that the majority of bucks highly shift their homerange once they enter Fall. Which I tend to believe more so than too many does and fawns drive the bucks away. I would rather have a good supply of does all year than hoping that does show up come Fall so that the bucks then show up.
Jeff sturgis dabbles in the arts of pseudo science.

To the tune of Jailhouse Rock:
The buck threw a party at the factory of does
But the bullets went a flying and away he goes,
The orange army was jumpin' and the joint began to swing
You should've heard the popping when the bullets began to ping!

Let's rock
Everybody, let's rock
Everybody near the big salt block
Was shootin to the doe factory Rock

The semi auto were a spitting like a tenor saxophone
The lever actions were a workin like a slide trombone
The big bore bolts were a going crash, boom, bang
The whole rhythm section was a orange army gang

Let's rock
Everybody, let's rock
Everybody near the big salt block
Was dancin' to the doe factory Rock

The interesting thing about Sturgis is that he is talking about small properties almost exclusively. It is also a way to make sure the goal posts are always moving because it is not like it is easy to say whether one does or does not have a doe factory, especially because it is unrealistic to really be able to manage a deer herd on a small property. So he always looks smart, because everyone wants more mature bucks to stay on their farm. I think wildlife writers have pressure to come up with new material and sometimes an observation becomes gospel under the guise of "I've been doing this for 30 years". Don Higgins kind of does the same thing, albeit to a lesser extent.