Multi-Species Cover Crop Plots In The North

Hey Westwind can you upload that rozlchair seeder link I spoke about. I'm not sure how to do it
Power Spreader for Dewalt 18V & 20V Battery, Seed Spreader for Year-Round, Covers Up to 5,000 sq. ft.(Tool Only, No Battery) https://a.co/d/93zGVWd

I think that worked?

50 lbs of buckwheat/acre is the rate I've seen and used in Se MN

Omi do you believe 50 pounds broadcasted is not enough for buckwheat. I put 200 pounds of rye in this fall kinda wish I put in more
In my opinion if broadcasting only with no other manipulation you have to lay it on super thick. If disc and rolling or drilling you can use a good bit less

50 lbs of buckwheat/acre is the rate I've seen and used in Se MN
I tilled my plots for the first time this past fall because of weed issues. (and drought) I didn't want to do it but if I didn't my plot wouldn't have turned out nearly as good. I wouldn't be planting that high of a rate If i was using tillage again but I want to make sure I stay on top of the weeds. I did a TNM rate of 50# a couple of years ago and with TNM it wasn't a high enough rate.

Just tried to find that Rozlchar seeder via a google. Nadda. That could be a good seeder for some guys.....you got a link??

Buckwheat at 100# / acre seems a bit high. I have broadcast 50 lbs / acre and had a great stand. Buckwheat has gotten pretty expensive in the past few years.
Hey fog. I bought the hooyman this year and it’s really good. I had worn my bag earthway out.

I will say it has worked perfectly so far. I do use the DeWalt system and wish it worked with all those batteries. That said the battery it comes with lasts pretty much all day if spreading. Also looks like some sales for it now.

Hey fog. I bought the hooyman this year and it’s really good. I had worn my bag earthway out.

I will say it has worked perfectly so far. I do use the DeWalt system and wish it worked with all those batteries. That said the battery it comes with lasts pretty much all day if spreading. Also looks like some sales for it now.

I don't really have a need for a spreader like this.....but I think lot's of others may want one. You should do a product review on it.

For larger broadcast jobs.....I use a Herd GT77 on the front of my UTV. Sometimes I turn a crank on a cheap whirlybird spreader in a tight corner or to fill-in a skipped area. I've got a like-new Solo hanging un-used on the wall for a few years now. If someone want's it for $50 shoot me a PM.

BTW......I bought a cheap ($35) tire inflator that uses cordless drill batteries. I use it in OZ to inflate bike tires, golf cart tires, and car tires. It is the best bang for the buck purchase I have made I a long time. Set the desired pressure.....clip on the tire valve and let it work. Stops when done....perfect PSI. Easy enough for anyone. Tires are always an issue in OZ with the changing temps......this is the real deal.

Last edited:
I don't really have a need for a spreader like this.....but I think lot's of others may want one. You should do a product review on it.

For larger broadcast jobs.....I use a Herd GT77 on the front of my UTV. Sometimes I turn a crank on a cheap whirlybird spreader in a tight corner or to fill-in a skipped area. I've got a like-new Solo hanging un-used on the wall for a few years now. If someone want's it for $50 shoot me a PM.

BTW......I bought a cheap ($35) tire inflator that uses cordless drill batteries. I use it in OZ to inflate bike tires, golf cart tires, and car tires. It is the best bang for the buck purchase I have made I a long time. Set the desired pressure.....clip on the tire valve and let it work. Stops when done....perfect PSI. Easy enough for anyone. Tires are always an issue in OZ with the changing temps......this is the real deal.
I’m with you during the heart of planting season I have a really nice one on my atv and use. But I put that’s stuff up (top of barn) most of the year so if I need a quick planting job I use the hooyman.

Also sometimes I like the exercise!