Multi-Species Cover Crop Plots In The North

That’s good question wind. @farmlegend, what rate are you broadcasting cereals? You might consider broadcasting up to 200lbs/acre for a while to smother out cool seasons and build soil. You can back that down every year. But early the more the better. Rye>wheat>oats

Kind of imprecise here, but somewhere in the neighborhood of 100-150#/acre, and I didn't cover the plot completely(didn't have enough seed and was time constrained). Next year, I'll be dumping more grains down and throughout the entirety of the plot.

I'm not so sure about that. Others on this forum have found there to be concern.

IMO, it would be best to wait minimum of two weeks. Label states one month.
That’s called anecdotal evidence. I have had zero issues so that’s a wash. Then you go to the literature which shows zero. (That I know of. Please correct me if you find something).

I don’t think it’s ever a bad idea to wait a day or two after spraying to plant. But certainly not necessary. I think spraying any chemical in the world on a seed lying on the ground could affect germination. With a drill you can spray away imo.

Take a look at large farmers who have a sprayer on back of drill.

If we were talking, a grass germination, like rye, then maybe. I think, waiting a day or two would be OK.

I do think sometimes people don’t clean out their sprayer between different herbicides. I know I don’t do a good job of that. It’s really a pretty intensive process of washing with water, then a certified cleaner, etc. If only a small amount of a broadleaf Herbicide is in there, which mini broadleaf herbicides only call for a small amount, then that could affect germination

That’s called anecdotal evidence. I have had zero issues so that’s a wash. Then you go to the literature which shows zero. (That I know of. Please correct me if you find something).

I don’t think it’s ever a bad idea to wait a day or two after spraying to plant. But certainly not necessary. I think spraying any chemical in the world on a seed lying on the ground could affect germination. With a drill you can spray away imo.

Take a look at large farmers who have a sprayer on back of drill.
In the link provided in the post you quoted there is several different sources of literature, it does not show zero.

In the link provided in the post you quoted there is several different sources of literature, it does not show zero.
Read Farmer, Dan’s comment in that same link. Labels have to have the most conservative approach. That is so they don’t get sued. It is not because the data shows that Clethodim affects brassicas

Herbicides, light glyphosate, Clethodim have to contact soil in order to be made inert so I can see how seed laying on the ground that is coated in a herbicide can cause issues. That said, if you soak the seed in water, it will affect germination. If broadcasting, I would probably spray first and let it dry before broadcasting.

Again, farmers would spray it right on top. they use it to clear grass out of brassica plots. For a food platter, to travel up an extra day to plant for clethkdim makes no sense to me. But that is just me.

ChatGPT response. I only use this, because it does congregate pretty much anything ever published on the Internet on the subject.

Clethodim is a selective post-emergence herbicide that is used to control annual and perennial grasses. It is not typically used as a pre-emergence herbicide that would affect the germination of seeds. However, as a post-emergence herbicide, it could potentially harm seedlings if they are exposed to it.

In terms of Brassica species specifically, Clethodim is typically safe to use around these plants as it is designed to target grasses and not broadleaf plants like Brassicas. However, the specific response can vary between different plant species and conditions, so it's always a good idea to check the label and use any herbicide according to the manufacturer's guidelines.

Remember that while Clethodim may not typically harm Brassica germination or growth, excessive or improper use of any herbicide can potentially cause harm to plants or the environment.

We aren't talking about brassicas.
This thread where you replied "zero" was in response to a question about oats.
The thread I linked was in clethodim's relation to rye.
There is literature and anecdotal evidence from forum members to suggest the OP can/should be concerned about clethodim in his application.

We aren't talking about brassicas.
This thread where you replied "zero" was in response to a question about oats.
The thread I linked was in clethodim's relation to rye.
There is literature and anecdotal evidence from forum members to suggest the OP can/should be concerned about clethodim in his application.
I disagree. But that’s just me. Beauty of this place.

Is this the same thread where he was talking about using clethodum as a burn down chemical?

I disagree. But that’s just me. Beauty of this place.

Is this the same thread where he was talking about using clethodum as a burn down chemical?
I only replied to this specific post and the contents within to warn the OP before he could be potentially disappointed with advice given.
Screenshot_20231130_164650_Chrome.jpg

Buckwheat at 100 pounds per acre fanatic. Is that broadcasted or drilled. I wondered if 50 pounds per acres broadcasted was enough. Wanted to share my new clover spreader which works awesome and uses dewault batteries

Attachments

• 20230817_192432.jpg
    20230817_192432.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 20
Buckwheat at 100 pounds per acre fanatic. Is that broadcasted or drilled. I wondered if 50 pounds per acres broadcasted was enough. Wanted to share my new clover spreader which works awesome and uses dewault batteries
Just tried to find that Rozlchar seeder via a google. Nadda. That could be a good seeder for some guys.....you got a link??

Buckwheat at 100# / acre seems a bit high. I have broadcast 50 lbs / acre and had a great stand. Buckwheat has gotten pretty expensive in the past few years.

Foggy. I had to look high and low to find that seeder. I will look again for you. How much is 50 pounds of buckwhat.

Foggy i ran a search under dewault seeder and it popped up. I tried to copy the Amazon link but I can't attach it sorry. It is $60 and that does not include the dewault battery. It's a premo seeder. We used it for clover this fall at 1 setting it spread so good. It held 5 pounds of clover

$42 per 50# bag at Welters. They call for 100# per acre in a stand alone planting which is more than I would have guessed too.

Liked your comment not the price Westwind loll

Hey Westwind can you upload that rozlchair seeder link I spoke about. I'm not sure how to do it

$42 per 50# bag at Welters. They call for 100# per acre in a stand alone planting which is more than I would have guessed too.
Takes every bit of that. Think whatever you would use for rye

Power Spreader for Dewalt 18V & 20V Battery, Seed Spreader for Year-Round, Covers Up to 5,000 sq. ft.(Tool Only, No Battery) https://a.co/d/jbcinFm

Omi do you believe 50 pounds broadcasted is not enough for buckwheat. I put 200 pounds of rye in this fall kinda wish I put in more