What do you want to see?

Steve Bartylla

5 year old buck +
I was at the D&DH offices yesterday to help lay out D&DH TV for this fall. The top boss pulled me aside and asked me if I'd be willing to host a pure habitat and deer management show on one of the networks. IF I agree to do this and IF they follow through and do it (lots of things are "talked" about that never happen), what would you like to see? After all, you'd be the target audience.

They also have me doing a web only show for them. The first ep is up
http://www.deeranddeerhunting.com/articles/tv-shows/growem-big

It will be an every other week, year round show. Short, 3-5 min eps that, after the 1st 3, will be dedicated to very specific topics. I've got the first half a year already shot, but wouldn't mind ideas on that one, either.

What I've done so far, in no particular oder after the 1st 3:
Intro to what the show will be/who its for
The importance of setting goals and having them dictate your plan
The importance of a plan
Hinge cut doe bedding
Overwinter nutrition
Aging deer
Importance of clover
Mock scrapes for inventorying deer and positioning them for a shot
The power of a dozer
Top seeding cereal rye and oats into grains
Creating a hit list
How to safely put up stands

As I said, I'm primarily interested in if you would be interested in the network show and, assuming you would, what you'd all want to see in that (format and content). However, if you have topic ideas for the web show, I wouldn't mind those, either.

Thanks a ton in advance!

How you read a topo map and identify potential stand locations from simply studying the map.

I'm glad to see a web show because that is what I like, plus I don't get the outdoor stations anymore. When you look at the other online shows (Growing deer, Midwest Whitetail, Wired to Hunt, ext) they all have good hunting segments but only Dr. Woods covers actual habitat management. I want to see more about how to layout a property, and then how to build actual bedding areas and utilize the layout. Very detailed explanations of how it works in high pressure areas, NOT IOWA! Also, no one covers fruit trees or conifer plantings. Dr. Woods uses fire a lot but at this point I wont be doing so, let's see some other options.

How do you formulate a plan? How do you track success over time? How do you manage your food plots for the best rut hunting? Anything and everything that can be done with just a chain saw and a 4 wheeler. Don't gear it toward Ag areas where everyone owns a tracker and a big piece of land.

One more thing. Go to a variety of properties that are owned by 'normal' guys and show what they did.

I was at the D&DH offices yesterday to help lay out D&DH TV for this fall. The top boss pulled me aside and asked me if I'd be willing to host a pure habitat and deer management show on one of the networks. IF I agree to do this and IF they follow through and do it (lots of things are "talked" about that never happen), what would you like to see? After all, you'd be the target audience.

They also have me doing a web only show for them. The first ep is up
http://www.deeranddeerhunting.com/articles/tv-shows/growem-big

It will be an every other week, year round show. Short, 3-5 min eps that, after the 1st 3, will be dedicated to very specific topics. I've got the first half a year already shot, but wouldn't mind ideas on that one, either.

What I've done so far, in no particular oder after the 1st 3:
Intro to what the show will be/who its for
The importance of setting goals and having them dictate your plan
The importance of a plan
Hinge cut doe bedding
Overwinter nutrition
Aging deer
Importance of clover
Mock scrapes for inventorying deer and positioning them for a shot
The power of a dozer
Top seeding cereal rye and oats into grains
Creating a hit list
How to safely put up stands

As I said, I'm primarily interested in if you would be interested in the network show and, assuming you would, what you'd all want to see in that (format and content). However, if you have topic ideas for the web show, I wouldn't mind those, either.

Thanks a ton in advance!

Property and Stand access - NOT an after thought
Value of a chainsaw - different uses and why (hinging and timber Harvests)
Importance of cover and the various types (NWSG, Conifers, hardwood regen, ect)
What winter scouting can tell you for next year - scrapes, rubs, beds and tracks in the snow
Controlled burns
Summer nutrition - plots & native food sources
Soft mast - native or orchards
Hard mast
Shrubs
Screening - why & how
Water holes

Just some ideas

How you read a topo map and identify potential stand locations from simply studying the map.
Or even satalite maps for fingers and points or inside and outside corners and how to look at how deer use the area and not just your property and working that into your plan.

Sorry Packer - I just thought it was a nice piggy-back topic.

Proper instances and uses of popular "food plotting" herbicides.
How to use neighboring pressure, be it public or private, to your advantage in holding and hunting deer.

When producing and releasing the episodes, I feel it would be highly beneficial to have them in some semblance of chronological order as much as possible. As in, overall and seasonal planning episodes up front, then throughout the year, things to do in Jan or mid winter, early spring habitat improvements, late spring and summer plantings and improvements, summer maintenance of clover and other such items, fall plots, etc. You get the idea. You could put in segments on controlled burns, tree stand maintenance, proper times to enter sanctuaries for improvements, and items like that, during the time of year that it is most beneficial and least disruptive to the deer.

Something to keep in mind as well is that things are going to be vastly different for Northern vs Southern property managers. So things like pine plantation management and dealing with hogs or other things that tend to be sort of "out of sight = out of mind". Something else to the potential list would be predators. What about something regarding - habitat condition monitoring and how to relate that to deer population levels and harvest goals?

We are going to have about 3 seasons worth of shows!

A "mythbuster" type segment on such things as "cull bucks" and "magic beans"(of all types, not just plot seeds) and the fact that it is hard work to do this type of thing and it can't be bought in a box(don't pi$$ off your sponsors of course). Maybe even a show where you take a few "questions from the viewers" and address them in a general context. I think one of the greatest things you might be able to accomplish with this is to get more "Fudd's" to be more like "us" when it comes to doing some basic property improvements.

Great start Steve, looks like you've started dispelling some of those "myths" already! lol Impatiently awaiting the next installment! Now I have to bookmark the D&DH website.

All ready made it a favorite - can't wait for more!

steve B favorite.jpg

I would love to see a property showcase over several episodes where the show will pull many topics covered into a property or two that has had no enhancements yet so we can all follow along the progress. Almost like a long-term flipping show. Maybe focus on small and medium in size or habitat type like farmland and big woods???

As far as topics, I think neighbor relations and will 2nd the motion for stand access would be good ones to include. Also maybe address a game plan for habitat changes if you have neighbors that now hunt your fence line.

Kudos's to staff at D&D and yourself for making this show a real possibiliity

An episode with Art, Stu and Mo

Ratings should be high for that one!:D

Excellent!!!!! I really hope the brass pulls the trigger on this!

Echoing some of what others have already said....i think a chronological progression from the drawing board stages through the execution phases along with some of the actual hunts that take place utilizing the executed plan. Taking a property from zero or little improvement all the way through hunting the property with the improvements in place/process....then continually revisiting the property to continue the improvements. I also would like to see some small acreage type properties....i truly believe there is a pile of guys out there with small properties and I mean small...40 acres and less...that think that they cant do anything to improve their property because its too small. This also leads into expectations and managing goals. habitat can be modified to improve hunting....independent of "growing, holding, and harvesting giant deer" If they realize that they cant take a small piece of land and stockpile giants, but that they can improve the habitat and thereby improve their hunting in general...and maybe even harvest a great buck in the process.

Waterhole magic

One of the most intriguing things to me is why water holes truly are magic in WI, MN, MI, but virtually worthless by comparison in MO, IL & IA. I know I'm odd, but trying to nail down the reason/s behind that fascinates me.

Thanks, guys (as well as those yet to comment)...I knew I could count on you. Great stuff!

The "grats" on the network show is appreciated, but very premature. I've been offered somewhere close to 20 true hosting gigs. About half never came to fruition and the other half I ultimately turned down (doing more than regular appearances is a ton of work and they typically want you for next to nothing). I'd give this a 40% shot of happening, at best.

The web show is definitively a go for the next year. Once paying sponsors are landed, there is no backing out.

One of the most intriguing things to me is why water holes truly are magic in WI, MN, MI, but virtually worthless by comparison in MO, IL & IA. I know I'm odd, but trying to nail down the reason/s behind that fascinates me.
Possibly the moisture content in the food, both native browse and Ag.