What do you want to see?

How about a short segment about identifying beneficial natural food sources. Maybe pick out one beneficial and show how ti identify it and use it to your advantage.

If you do a segment on hinge cutting, maybe dedicate a few minutes to identifying the tree's in the area. Newbies hinging any tree without being able to identify them, May be a recipe for disaster. Also, explaining the risk involved in cutting bigger trees is a must IMO.

One of the most intriguing things to me is why water holes truly are magic in WI, MN, MI, but virtually worthless by comparison in MO, IL & IA. I know I'm odd, but trying to nail down the reason/s behind that fascinates me.

Are they used less year round or more so in the fall because maybe the dew points are just right then in those states that the deer pick up additional moisture.

An episode with Art, Stu and Mo

Ratings should be high for that one!:D
Larry, Moe, and Curly Joe!

I'm a midget next to those guys. But they ain't near as good looken as me!

Steve- somewhere in the beginning, you need to start with the lowest hole in the bucket and how to determine what it is.

Somewhere way down the line, I would like to see a comparison of things that work in low pressure areas and things that work in high pressure areas where the whole herd is nocturnal. This might be too involved for your program or average listener. I do see ideas and have tried them that just do not work with nocturnal deer herds.

What would I like to see? Reality in deer hunting shows ;) That concept won't sell bupkus to the advertisers, but it would likely be the only "deer hunting show" I'd watch. I'd watch a show on how to turn a borderline property in a borderline area into an almost good property to hunt. I have zero interest in how to turn a poorly managed property in a deer/buck rich area into deer hunting nirvana...because anybody with half a clue, access to the internet, and an ounce of ambition could do the same thing.
Well stated..x2

The one thing I enjoy the most is the making of the plan and explaining why you are doing things the way you did. Basically what makes that spot you are changing the right spot to improve. I.e. Show a plan , show where (satellite image and boots on the ground) and why you need bedding in an area or screening. Then go into the how to, benefits, etc.

There are alot of those that blame their neighbors for poor hunting (making too much noise, property line hunting, ATVs, shooting anything brown, etc). How about how to use those hunters tendencies to actually helping your hunting. Also lots of interest in watering holes-the different approaches one can take would be educational.

This show isn't going to fly. I'd say the majority of hunters don't own their own property, so habitat stuff is impossible. Public land, multiple land owners, leased or they have permission, that's the people watching hunting shows. The next majority who own land, but possibly hunt, own the land for far more than deer hunting. It really is insanity to pay $6000/acre and thousands in property taxes to make sure no one can go in it, and have it exclusively for deer.
As it's been stated the guys who have the drive to do this stuff are doing it already. They have their fill on sites like this. You could try to compete with the growing deer tv Internet segments, but deer and deer hunting doesn't have the class to control non stop marketing garbage. Sorry, the mag is basically published in my hometown, and I still feel it's junk.
My advice to Steve is go it alone like growing deer tv is, but you are getting late to that game. You better really have some appeal to pull it off, and $. There is $ to be made though, good luck.
I have to ruin every wet dream, I apologize :(

Thanks for posting this Steve, can't wait to see more.

What no barracuda.
Good idea. Dipper said we need someone with appeal. The three of us in swim suits won't work.

I don't want to turn this into a discussion of D and DH, but it is still one of my favorite magazines. Ozoga puts together some good information. I also like about half of the other articles. Shead is good.

I think Dipper touched on a topic that is often over looked.

Property considerations - beyond just deer habitat. That can include habitat for other species, it can include how to deal with other forms of recreation on the property or even the financial aspects such as property taxes, government programs, managing for timber and other financial aspects and how it all impacts the overall management, goals and practices of the property.

I know my property is a perfect example - I would LOVE to manage it strictly for hunting purposes - but it just isn't financially possible. The value/income from tillable acres simply can not be ignored in my financial situation. I would love to plant 100 acres of tillable to trees and shrubs and weeds to additional cover - BUT - that would require from walking away from thousands of dollars a year. Does it have an impact - you bet your butt it does.

I think dipper may have touched on another good subject that I had thought of, but didn't really think it applied to Steve's new "shows" until I thought about what he said. If the "public" guys are going to be a good number of your viewers, then surely do a few shows geared towards those viewers. Guys have already mentioned aerials and topo maps and how to interpret them for hunting purposes, a huge deal when hunting public ground. I look at them constantly, I don't think a week goes by that I don't have some map of a public property open on my computer. We have mentioned interpreting and using the pressure of other hunters to our advantage, which applies even more so on public lands. As far as habitat improvements and habitat in general, show how to identify key areas of habitat, such as food sources, on public ground and which things to commonly avoid. Have a segment on finding the proper resources to get involved with the DNR's and other organizations such as NWTF and Whitetails Unlimited to get some improvements going on public grounds. I'm sure Steve has contacts in many areas that he could share with public land guys. Let the public land hunters know that good hunting can be had if they put the time and some effort into helping themselves get the hunting they desire. Many, many guys don't think it can be done and that there is absolutely nothing they can do to help. I know Steve does his fair share of public ground hunting himself and has harvested some nice bucks off those parcels, he MUST show the ways of the force to the young padawans! He!!, I have went so far as to ask him when he is going to publish that book, I would buy Steve Bartylla's "Secrets to Hunting Public Land Bucks" in a heartbeat. I really think those shows would be beneficial to many of his viewers and readers from D&DH and other publications he writes for.

Last edited:
I wish I had time to address all these comments. This is pure gold for me.

Here is what I can tell you:
Though the web show is appearing on D&DH's web site and it was the top boss man that requested I do it, it is essentially my baby. All they asked was that it was 2ish min eps (I'm pushing them to 4-6ish mins, not counting the intro and exit), it's every other week and it covers habitat and deer managements, with some deer behavior and hunting tactics geared towards deer &/or habitat management.

At this point, every sponsor for the web show come from companies I have paid pro staff positions with and I got them to sign up myself, which covered all the production costs and gave D&DH a little profit on top of it. D&DH's ad dept is trying to land additional sponsors, but they have yet to land any. Also, I have Aubrey Gale doing the production work directly for me (he did Lee & Tiffy's show for Scent Lok and a bunch of others. Older guy, great friend and good producer...It's his voice doing the ending in the 1st ep that's running on D&DH's site now. I did it for the rest).

In other words, outside of D&DH having some influence over what was covered above, this is 100% my baby. Also, because of sponsorship $ already in hand, it WILL run for at least 1 year. After that, it's existence will be determined by continued sponsorships. If they get sponsors to continue supporting it, it will continue to run. If not, it dies after 1 yr (that's how most every show works).

The network show they pitched me is at best a 40% chance of being a go. There are no sponsors lined up. Even if D&DH decides they are all in on this, no sponsors = no show.

I suspect that my influence over the network show would be significant, as they trust and like me for some odd reason. However, I wouldn't have the near full control I have over the web show. For example, on the web show, I essentially have the first 1/2 a year done. I've mentioned 2 products the entire first half a year (I say "Reconyx" cams once, instead "scout cams" and said "Antler King Trophy Clover" once, instead of "clover"). Otherwise, all the product plugs are from me wearing their hats and shirts and come via product use shown (i.e. when frost seeding, I'm frost seeding Antler King Trophy Clover and you can see the bag...When I do a show on deciding whether or not to shoot does, I'll use footage of me slipping out of a Heater Body Suit and rolling does, without ever mentioning Heater Body Suit). So, none of these eps or even segments of any ep will be an infomercial. I hate infomercials and have the control to not have them in the web show.

On the network show, I've already told them that, if I do this, there will be very few kills. I have 0 desire to do a shoot 'em up show and won't do it. I told them that we would use Reconxy and other video footage to show these things work, NOT kills. I also told them that I felt it was important to use small, truly "average" type properties far more than anything off of the "big grounds in trophy rich areas," as the ave ground would encompass way more of our viewers than those owning utopia. That's as far as anything went on the network show thus far, but they agreed to that much.

I don't know if that clears things up or not. As a side note, I'll be copy/pasting this to the QDMA site, as well. So, those of you that go back and forth, don't waste your time reading this twice.

There might be hope yet

There might be hope yet

Well, I have a huge advantage in the TV area in that I'm only using it to supplement income, NOT as a primary source. I've gotten what I consider decent $ out of TV by supplying footage, interviews and tips over the past 5 years, but I could survive without it. Because of that, I've been able to set parameters for all the hosting offers I've received in the past and walk away when they wouldn't meet them. If it was a primary source, then I'd have to shift more toward infomercials, as others do. Frankly, they have little choice in the matter, as it's how they feed their families.

I realize doing a habitat and deer management show appeals to a much smaller pool of viewers than a "shoot 'em up on utopia" type show does. That type of show has the potential to appeal to every hunter with cable or a dish. Habitat and deer management mostly can only appeal to those with ground (the WIWhips of the world being an exceptions), which drastically shrinks the pool of potential viewers. Then, it shrinks even further by really only appealing to those in that group that have the time, desire and/or ability to do this type of stuff. Ultimately, IF the network show goes forward, the success or failure will be based on if the sponsors believe it can draw in a high enough % of that comparatively small pool of viewers.

I believe it's possible. Just making #s up here, let's say a channel reaches 500,000 households with hunters. Your "shoot 'em ups" can potentially get all 500,000 viewers, but they don't reach anything close to that #. Instead, they'd likely be doing VERY well if they consistently get 5% of that, which would be 25K regular viewers.

I'd guess at most 20% of those 500,000 would be interested in a show on deer & habitat management. That shrinks the pool down to 100K right off the bat. If the show could pull in 25% of them, it'd be right at that same 25K # of your ave "shoot 'em up," even 20% would likely be considered a success, as these viewers tend to be the ones that aren't afraid to spend $ on improving their grounds/hunting. Forward thinking sponsors put a lot of stock in that, as they tend to see the value in investing $ into reaching their true target audience.

In my mind, the real determining factor is if a show could be done that would appeal to 20+% of that target audience enough to get them to be fairly regular viewers. That's a pretty high # and I honestly don't know if it is attainable or not.

Web shows cost far less to produce. So, the sponsors are paying 5-10K, instead of 20-200K. In turn, smaller target audiences are far more acceptable. I'm pretty confident that the web show will run for years to come. A network show on the same topic is a lot more challenging to pull off. Heck, even if it could do the impossible and draw in 50% of that 100K pool, you still have to convince sponsors it's worth the 20-200K investment based on faith...Much harder to do than 5-10K. Ultimately, that price difference and the competition between shows in that larger pool is why you see shows tripping over each other to do infomercials. Sponsors expect a lot for their 20-200K, and, if you really think about it, they should. You can buy an awful lot of print ads for that same $$$$$$$$$$.

I believe it's possible. Just making #s up here, let's say a channel reaches 500,000 households with hunters. Your "shoot 'em ups" can potentially get all 500,000 viewers, but they don't reach anything close to that #. Instead, they'd likely be doing VERY well if they consistently get 5% of that, which would be 25K regular viewers.

I'd guess at most 20% of those 500,000 would be interested in a show on deer & habitat management. That shrinks the pool down to 100K right off the bat. If the show could pull in 25% of them, it'd be right at that same 25K # of your ave "shoot 'em up," even 20% would likely be considered a success, as these viewers tend to be the ones that aren't afraid to spend $ on improving their grounds/hunting. Forward thinking sponsors put a lot of stock in that, as they tend to see the value in investing $ into reaching their true target audience.

In my mind, the real determining factor is if a show could be done that would appeal to 20+% of that target audience enough to get them to be fairly regular viewers. That's a pretty high # and I honestly don't know if it is attainable or not.

When it comes to the Fudd's and Bubba's tuning in, a lot can depend how smoking hot your co-host is! :eek:;):D Just sayin'.

When it comes to the Fudd's and Bubba's tuning in, a lot can depend how smoking hot your co-host is! :eek:;):D Just sayin'.

Perdy girls can sell me almost anything! Hell I might even buy two! Yep - I'm a Fudd!!!!!

I want to be in charge of advertising........ Who can't come up with a add slogan built around "Grow'em Big" ???????