What do you want to see?

Steve you have so much to offer and for myself the short web videos are what I would watch. Granted you can provide more info in a longer TV series (show) but that just not my style.

i have noticed that North American Whitetail has been having a deer and habitat "management" segment on their show recently. It consists of Dr. Deer himself and one of the NAW co hosts tooling around an IL farm (a whitetail properties farm) talking about deer "management" and habitat and terrain features. Very little actual content based on doing habitat improvments like hinging, TSI, tree/shrub plantings, building waterholes, designing/laying out travel corridors/bedding areas/food plots, etc. Just more or less showing the property and ID'ing the component parts...like here is a bedding area, here is a funnel, here is a food plot.....and of course lots of product plugging. Apparently they realized a market segment exists...they just have terrible execution.

i have noticed that North American Whitetail has been having a deer and habitat "management" segment on their show recently. It consists of Dr. Deer himself and one of the NAW co hosts tooling around an IL farm (a whitetail properties farm) talking about deer "management" and habitat and terrain features. Very little actual content based on doing habitat improvments like hinging, TSI, tree/shrub plantings, building waterholes, designing/laying out travel corridors/bedding areas/food plots, etc. Just more or less showing the property and ID'ing the component parts...like here is a bedding area, here is a funnel, here is a food plot.....and of course lots of product plugging. Apparently they realized a market segment exists...they just have terrible execution.
No, they have the NAW "style of execution" down to a science in those segments.. Sponsor plug after sponsor plug to keep the $$$ flowing in. That is what is important to them and nothing more. The segment might as well go "yadda, yadda, yadda, ATV implement, yadda, yadda, BOB seed, yadda, killed 'em with bow XYZ". What Steve is proposing and what D&DH has the chance to do is break that mold and give back something with much more substance. The question is, can they make it work financially without the gross sponsorship plugging?

No, they have the NAW "style of execution" down to a science in those segments.. Sponsor plug after sponsor plug to keep the $$$ flowing in. That is what is important to them and nothing more. The segment might as well go "yadda, yadda, yadda, ATV implement, yadda, yadda, BOB seed, yadda, killed 'em with bow XYZ". What Steve is proposing and what D&DH has the chance to do is break that mold and give back something with much more substance. The question is, can they make it work financially without the gross sponsorship plugging?
and the NAW "style of execution" is terrible....IMO. lol

I don't think you will get an argument from anyone here on that point phil!
yeah i didnt think so either whip!

I just thought it was interesting when i was flipping thru the channels a couple of weeks ago and as i landed on that channel there was a pic of a an aerial which caught my eye....i paused on the channel to see what it was about.....then listened to Dr. Deer drivel on. But it i thought it was interesting that they attempted to have a segment aimed at "management". No doubt in my mind that Steve could put together a program that was about actual management....no air quotes needed around management there!

Steve - Maybe do something from a priority standpoint coupled with economy. Lots of guys probably don't have a boatload of $$$ to put out into habitat improvement, but maybe you could give ideas on " most bang for the buck " improvements that anyone could do. I also like the idea mentioned by some of the other guys here for doing things in a chronological order ( Jan., do these things - Feb., do these things - Mar. do these things...... etc. ) Tell when to mow certain plot crops, when to overseed this into that, etc. Guys familiar with farming know those types of things, but non-farmers may not. Nuts & bolts info.

I just can't thank you guys enough and genuinely feel bad that I haven't been able to respond to every post in this thread, as they all deserve one. I took a bunch of the ideas from here and some from QDMA, put them together and gave them to the big boss. He submitted the proposal to the board, which will be giving it the thumbs up or down when they meet in April. If they give it a go ahead, the target date for airing will be first quarter of 2017, giving me enough time to try to do the first season justice. You were all a huge help in this. THANK YOU!!!! Stuff like this is why I consider you guys "friends."

I also stole some of these ideas for the web show that's already running on D&DH's site. So, thank you for making that show better, as well!

No need to say THANK - YOU Steve, for all the ideas. If you check your mailbox .............. The bills are in the mail !!!! :p:p:D Signed, the Forum Crew.

I think your first show should be to tell the mass of followers, that buying in the wrong area of some states, will make sure they never have good hunting, no matter how much habitat or foods plots that they try to implement. I know of quite a few guys, that for over 20 years, continue to improve there properties and will die of old age waiting for things to get better.
Harsh, but so very true.

I think your first show should be to tell the mass of followers, that buying in the wrong area of some states, will make sure they never have good hunting, no matter how much habitat or foods plots that they try to implement. I know of quite a few guys, that for over 20 years, continue to improve there properties and will die of old age waiting for things to get better.

I think that should be addressed as far as "realistic expectations" and "goals" are concerned. Maybe that's sugar coating it too much, but I still agree with you MO. There are things beyond a landowners control that need to be considered and that is the harsh reality of it. Obviously it is something to be considered well before the property is purchased - especially if it is being purchased as a deer hunting property - not after the fact.

I'm late to this party but I'd love to see a host spend 3 or 4 weekends with a random landowner, winter = hinge cutting, travel corridors, etc., spring = food plots, habitat plantings, etc., summer = stand selection and prep, fall = hunting. Condense that into one or two shows and explain how and why certain things helped or hurt that landowner's hunting.

I'd watch that. And I know of 2 guys that would volunteer 300 acres in NE KS for the common good.

I agree that location is everything but that's a tough message to sell when 90% of your audience can't move to Iowa.

I could move 75 miles north, but not sure if I want to. There is a pocket of deer there also. but you never know what our state DNR will do next.

I have a little bit of hope, but i t might change when the hunting regulations come out.

Stu-Is/are parts of Wis. also included in that statement?

I still would like to know what went on at that Great Lakes states meeting of deer biologists a few years ago. UP, northern Wis. and 80% of Mn have been on a downtrend.

I still believe that CWD had/has something to do with deer management in the Great Lakes States

I think that's an extremely safe belief. Every WI state Biologist/DNR official I've spoke to on the subject since CWD was discovered in WI has told me CWD was driving harvest goals/ target DPSMs.

I'm late to this party but I'd love to see a host spend 3 or 4 weekends with a random landowner, winter = hinge cutting, travel corridors, etc., spring = food plots, habitat plantings, etc., summer = stand selection and prep, fall = hunting. Condense that into one or two shows and explain how and why certain things helped or hurt that landowner's hunting.

I'd watch that. And I know of 2 guys that would volunteer 300 acres in NE KS for the common good.

I agree that location is everything but that's a tough message to sell when 90% of your audience can't move to Iowa.

Variations of both of those topics were included.

As a side note, for as much grief as hunting mags get, and often deservedly so, I've got to give some props to D&DH. They pulled a small portion of the book I wrote for them and put it in as an article. It's a common practice they use to try to sell books. I'm not a big fan of that (despite getting double paid for 1 time work), but I was pretty amazed at what they pulled to use. I go on a rant about what's wrong with the industry in the beginning of the book. The rant is too long for an article. so, they chopped it up a little and printed it in the magazine. Sure, they got rid of the harshest portions, but I was pretty shocked they used what they did. I tried to sell a pretty close variation of what they printed to just about every mag out there wish yrs ago. None would run it, as it wouldn't sit well with advertisers.

Between the show they're pushing and then running that article, they are putting their money where their mouth is by trying to buck the trend of advertisers leading the horses. I'd suggest anyone that appreciates that sends them an email or makes a post on their FB page cheering them on. Frankly, without support from hunters, there is no way they can make this approach work, and it's not a lock they can with it.

As a side note, I'll probably be drug out back next time I go to the ATA show. I don't think I'll be well liked by most of my peers that read it.

Why should you care?

Because I've never enjoyed being on the receiving end of a blanket party?!

MO, obviously I don't or I'd never have wrote it in the book or tried to sell it as an article 5ish (still not used to spell check/auto correct on MACs....somehow turned 5ish into "wish" in post before and now trying to turn it into "fish" on me) yrs back. It was a lame attempt at humor. Long morning already.

Since I mentioned that, what the #@$%#@$%#$%#$@ is it about people today?!?!?!?! The mailbox post finally broke off in the high winds and snow last night. So, after shoveling, there I am on my knees, head down by the road, trying to dig enough rock out to reset the post. There's a 4 lane rd going past the house. I sure did appreciate the #$@%#$%#$% out of the drivers that stayed on the outside lane to kick slush all over me again and again and again, when the center lanes were open. I would have understood it if it were kids. Heck, I may have been dumb enough to think that was funny in my own tragically misspent youth. Nope, they were mostly doctors and other hospital employees. I'm a bit embarrassed to admit that several times it took all I had not to fling the rocks I was clipping out of the frozen ground at the fancy cars. The world keeps changing, and so few changes are for the better.

P.S. I would have found the experience much more amusing if it had been someone else on all 4s next to the slushy rd. For some reason, it just isn't as funny when it's you.

Also, I dont believe i't was that they were trying to do it. I'm 99.9% sure it was that they were just so self absorbed that they couldn't think of anyone else, even some poor schmuck on all 4s, about 1' from the road, digging in the frozen ground with a hand trowel...Frost line is about 1' down.