Make Money with Land

I've debated the build something nicer many times. Can't bring myself to do it. The farm has an old ranch 3/1.5. Foundation is cracked, walls are cracked. Kitchen is a mismatch of cabinets. Shower is an old cast iron tube shower with a soft floor from previous leaks. Heating system is antiquated but works.

It would be great to have something nicer but I just don't see it adding much to value. Plus I'm cheap and I've hunted out of tents in the snow and we once had a 12x20 one room cabin that 6 guys slept in. I always tell myself what I have beats the heck out of an unheated tent....

I've debated the build something nicer many times. Can't bring myself to do it. The farm has an old ranch 3/1.5. Foundation is cracked, walls are cracked. Kitchen is a mismatch of cabinets. Shower is an old cast iron tube shower with a soft floor from previous leaks. Heating system is antiquated but works.

It would be great to have something nicer but I just don't see it adding much to value. Plus I'm cheap and I've hunted out of tents in the snow and we once had a 12x20 one room cabin that 6 guys slept in. I always tell myself what I have beats the heck out of an unheated tent....
My reason for having something nice, albeit not big, is I enjoy staying somewhere comfortable where I don’t have to worry about leaks or bugs or mice, and I want a place my wife and young daughter can come to, and feel comfortable as well. The more they come, the more I get to go!

My reason for having something nice, albeit not big, is I enjoy staying somewhere comfortable where I don’t have to worry about leaks or bugs or mice, and I want a place my wife and young daughter can come to, and feel comfortable as well. The more they come, the more I get to go!
My wife and kids are one of the reasons we haven't built something. It's nice going to an AirBnB or hotel and not having to clean or do any maintenance or upkeep. It's like a vacation. With the AirBnB, we can cook, wash clothes, and spread out a little more than a hotel. We just show up, enjoy our stay, then leave. My work is only on habitat that way. It would be nice just to walk out the door onto my property, and I may talk myself into that one day.

The house on our property was the old farmhouse built back in the early 1900's. It has a stone foundation, and the old cistern located in the crawl space. Two rooms were added on years ago to actually add a living room and family room. Problem is only 2 bedrooms and they are small. We have done quite a bit of remodeling as when things fail in this old of a house, time to upgrade.

We built a 40'x90' building where 75% is storage and workspace, floor is heated and walls insulated with foam. I no longer have to worry about birds crapping on tractors, atvs, etc. in the old barn along with mice & squirrels causing problems. On about 25% on one end, it is 2 stories with lower having full bathroom, workshop, and an extra room. The 2nd level is a living space with kitchen & living room area, 3 bedrooms, and a 1/2 bath. Great overflow area for family and guests.

This is where we will retire so investment made sense. Wife is happy to be there so I get more time doing what I do there. We are up there probably 2-3 weekends every month. I am sure we will get our money out of it and then some, but not everything has to be measured in financial gain if it makes you happy.

I’m all in on the comforts of home and something nice enough for the family to enjoy. My prior comments about advice of not to overbuild on recreational land was targeted toward those with plans to sell at some point with intent to turn a nice profit. Although rustic and basic, even the women folk enjoy visits to the farm.

Pole barn/cabin
IMG_4196.jpegIMG_1092.jpegIMG_2621.jpeg

IMG_0378.jpeg

Garage on end of pole barn I plan to convert into another bed/bath at some point.
IMG_5799.jpeg

Lil guest cabin
IMG_2314.jpeg

Outdoor pavilion/kitchen
IMG_1504.jpeg

I’m all in on the comforts of home and something nice enough for the family to enjoy. My prior comments about advice of not to overbuild on recreational land was targeted toward those with plans to sell at some point with intent to turn a nice profit. Although rustic and basic, even the women folk enjoy visits to the farm.

Pole barn/cabin
View attachment 61375View attachment 61384View attachment 61377

View attachment 61388

Garage on end of pole barn I plan to convert into another bed/bath at some point.
View attachment 61381

Lil guest cabin
View attachment 61378

Outdoor pavilion/kitchen
View attachment 61389
Absolutely beautiful!

Pole barn/cabin
View attachment 61375View attachment 61384View attachment 61377

View attachment 61388

View attachment 61381

Lil guest cabin
View attachment 61378

Outdoor pavilion/kitchen
View attachment 61389
Also I have to say nice wall of bucks. I know pretty well where you are. As a former Georgian and a guy who hunted Greene co for years I know it’s not easy to grow big deer in that part of the world. Testament to your property and management. Actually the deer on the wall above the wood burner in my pic was a Greene co bow kill.

Also I have to say nice wall of bucks. I know pretty well where you are. As a former Georgian and a guy who hunted Greene co for years I know it’s not easy to grow big deer in that part of the world. Testament to your property and management. Actually the deer on the wall above the wood burner in my pic was a Greene co bow kill.
You said a mouth full there brother. With a 3 month long firearms season and 2 buck / 10 antlerless limit, growing 4 yr old and older age class is so much more difficult that we thought it would be when we started in 2011. Every inch of ground in Greene and Oglethorpe County has an Elmer Fudd on it with the goal to shoot a deer…any deer. And boy do they get shot.

Proud of what we’ve done in such a highly pressured area but still frustrating when you pass on 2 and 3 yr olds only to never see em again. Still manage to take 1 good buck per year.

You said a mouth full there brother. With a 3 month long firearms season and 2 buck / 10 antlerless limit, growing 4 yr old and older age class is so much more difficult that we thought it would be when we started in 2011. Every inch of ground in Greene and Oglethorpe County has an Elmer Fudd on it with the goal to shoot a deer…any deer. And boy do they get shot.

Proud of what we’ve done in such a highly pressured area but still frustrating when you pass on 2 and 3 yr olds only to never see em again. Still manage to take 1 good buck per year.
I guarantee you know the property I hunted for years and still keep up with the guys (on cm Copeland). They have a chunk of land, over 3000 acres. And still struggle to consistently kill their minimum of 125”. So kudos to what you are doing. It’s working.

^^^ get plenty of postcards with some sort of antler themed company logo every year. The latest letter was a bit of a stretch. I must be assigned to the senile old foggie mailing lists now that recently retired. How they want to help with that burdensome land and giving me a cash offer now and can do that dream travel instead of having to pay taxes and such and be poor.

Language must be slanted towards the widow crowd that has no clue about land values. Gee they were proud to guarantee an amount thousands less than what was paid to acquire almost 20 yrs ago. That's one way how you get a great deal on land. Try to screw the oldsters. While might actually work in another 20 yrs when I do start to go soft in the head. This outfit was from out west and land is in WI. Lotta data mining going on out there but their algorithms aren't perfect yet

My parents get at least a letter a month for the old family farm that’s about an hour and a half outside of Dallas. Stupid money offered, but fortunately my mother will never sell the place. Hopefully she puts it in a trust so I don’t have to find a way to buy my sisters out of their share…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

^^^used to live down in Paris Tx over 25 yrs ago which is about 1-1/2 hrs out of Dallas. Some of the nicest down to earth folks when you got out in the rural areas.

Remember having trailer problems out on some FM rural road. Didn't really have the best tools and lots of rusty bolts. Took quite awhile to get going again. While on the side of the road, every single vehicle stopped to ask if I needed help. Every single one. Still remember that and of course the Jesus in cowboy boots at the local cemetery, lol

Ike, you should probably be talking to your mom and a financial planner.You may even want to get a insurance policy to help fund the purchase if you have to.