SC Kansas

We have picked a bunch of apples also and started peeling and slicing today

I so I have the crab apple that is probably 10 years old and it produces fruit that is about the size of a quarter.These were sold as wildlife trees but I think they are ornamental. I have 20 apple,pear and really good crabapples in this field already so I am thinking about cutting this one down.This fruit rots on the tree and I haven't seen them ever fall off. Any thoughts.

Attachments

• IMG_2422.jpg
    IMG_2422.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_2424.jpg
    IMG_2424.jpg
    134.5 KB · Views: 33
Do you know how to graft?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Do you know how to graft?

Great question and since buckdeer feels like cutting the tree down that does not drop fruit anyway, why not try some grafting on a few branches to get some experience. Also cut come branches above where you graft to get some more light to your grafts. Pretty soon you can have a frankentree. If your grafts are not a great success, who cares? You were going to whack that tree anyway. Bet you watch a few youtubes and do fine though. I had good luck with bark grafts at the right time.

That tree probably has great root system. I did my first grafting this year on a tree which is similar in a different way. Tree is about 12 years old and has blossoms every year but never once has set fruit while multiple other trees close by set fruit just fine.

BTW, for me I actually grafted scions from another crabapple that has 1" dia fruit that never drops as I want more of them! Yes objectives can be different for us as land managers. For me up north, harsh winters happen every once in awhile with a lot of snowpack and a tree that still has fruit in the late winter is really a hit with the birds and turkeys. But get it, for you it is practically useless because your wildlife never gets desperate to eat crappy half rotten high octane fruit from the freeze thaw cycles. But I also grafted some branches over to chestnut crabs since the wildlife has been hard on the (2) I started with and now down to just 1/2 a tree (voles got one and some critter broke the other in half). So graft a bunch of different stuff and have fun.

That's a healthy looking deer!

I moved a camera to 4 apple trees and I bet theres 10 different bucks hitting them,heres one of the better ones

Attachments

• apple10.jpg
    apple10.jpg
    291.6 KB · Views: 38
What kind of oak trees did you plant?

Haven't posted much lately,apples are falling and the wife and daughters harvested 3 mature muzzle loader bucks back in sept.I haven't hunted yet but will this weekend.Going through cards today and had this buck show up with some strange antler growth and then a couple that I really need to see to decide on age.

Attachments

• WeirdNT.jpg
    WeirdNT.jpg
    210.8 KB · Views: 48
  • big9-50.jpg
    big9-50.jpg
    207 KB · Views: 45
Haven't posted much lately,apples are falling and the wife and daughters harvested 3 mature muzzle loader bucks back in sept.I haven't hunted yet but will this weekend.Going through cards today and had this buck show up with some strange antler growth and then a couple that I really need to see to decide on age.
heres one more

Attachments

• north10-3.jpg
    north10-3.jpg
    432.6 KB · Views: 39
In case you did not notice, that first pick has two bucks in it, possibly locked up. Do you have more picks of it?

I don't think thats 2 bucks,looks to me like the tine from right antler is growing around base of left antler

could be,even if there are 2 it looks strange to get a antler wrapped around there.