Live from the stand thread

Opening day for the first antlerless, so I’m in a stand for a two hour sit with the old 30-30. It was 88 today but it’s comfortable despite having to put on the hunter orange.

IMG_5412.jpeg

Opening day for the first antlerless, so I’m in a stand for a two hour sit with the old 30-30. It was 88 today but it’s comfortable despite having to put on the hunter orange.

View attachment 69501
The follow-up view from the stand…ground. With only a few #’s of venison left from 2023, this is a welcome addition to the freezer and another piece of our management plan for 2024.
IMG_5416.jpeg

Last edited:
Number two down, no excuses for not having a full freezer this year!!!!View attachment 69510
Those tractor buckets sure make skinning and deboning easier! Congrats on having two down. I was lazy after one so I stayed in and did honey-do’s. I plan to be out on Monday for a birthday hunt….it looks like we might have some great weather for the beginning of the week.

Those tractor buckets sure make skinning and deboning easier! Congrats on having two down. I was lazy after one so I stayed in and did honey-do’s. I plan to be out on Monday for a birthday hunt….it looks like we might have some great weather for the beginning of the week.
Too bad that cold front didn't arrive sooner.

Reactions: 356
The follow-up view from the stand…ground. With only a few #’s of venison left from 2023, this is a welcome addition to the freezer and another piece of our management plan for 2024.
View attachment 69509
Love old lever guns!

Finally back on the home farm for the first sit of the year. Warmer than yesterday. But bluebird. Feels good. Crops are coming out at record pace, and way to dry.

Update on last evening. Passed a small 4x5 at 3 yards. But had my bow in hand thinking about it. Could of spit a luggie on his forhead. Ha
20241012_162303.jpg

Edit: update, we'll that was a kick in the shin. Was going to go down as my worst hunt in 20 years of hunting the farm, till at last light I saw a spike 600 yards away. Don't think I've ever hunted the homeplace and never seen a deer and tonight was close. Being no one has been out there since summer. Not really sure what to chalk it up to. Got in and out clean. Guess it happens sometimes.

Last edited:
First sit at my in laws place in a plot created this summer..it is starting to fill in with clover rye and turnips and there’s been some good bucks daylighting in it so figured a quick night sit might just work!

Been a couple of busy days here. The Mrs. got a big mama on Thursday evening. We spent yesterday afternoon butchering instead of hunting. I went out today saw 5 small bucks and then pulled the camera card from in front of my stand. One of bigger 8s was 15yds from the stand yesterday afternoon, unfortunately he didn’t make a return trip today.

Attachments

• IMG_2165.jpeg
    IMG_2165.jpeg
    662 KB · Views: 9
I had a couple hours between church and work obligations to take advantage of the cold front and the last day of early antlerless season. Since they were still harvesting the beans on the south 65 acres of our farm, I went to what is generally my "rut blind" on the 20 acres our house is located on. An hour and 15 minutes into the sit I missed a doe at 250 yards with the .243. While my maximum for this gun, it is a distance I practice and and I should have made the shot. I don’t know if wind gusts (up to 30 mph) impacted the shot, but at the end of the day, it was my miss. Regardless of the outcome, it was a nice couple of hours to be out.

IMG_5426.jpeg

Last edited:
Windy with a light rain blowing in my face right now. Beautiful cold front conditions 😁.

A lone doe and spike were out yesterday. The 10 point that has been hanging with the spike did not show.

edit: 5 doe and that same spiker again. Strong winds had them pretty skittish tonight.

Last edited:
Setting on the ground where a CRP drainage spills into a standing corn field. Had a covey of quail fly over but no deer

d4f4bb182412044ee2da47a69387bb12.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not live but first time out this year. This one of my favorite stands ever. Nice little 90 deg bend in the creek is a pinch point then have driveway and another woods road converging and going to the food plot at camp. Saw 6 does and fawns and a 3 pt. Big cold front coming in though, could be a good week.
first hunt 2024.jpgfirst hunt 2024.jpg2.jpgfirst hunt 20243.jpg

Beautiful morning her in NW Missouri. 39 degrees with a light North wind. It’s my birthday, so I took a personal day and will be trying to fill a doe tag this morning, then go after a buck during at a different location in the afternoon.

IMG_5436.jpeg

Beautiful morning her in NW Missouri. 39 degrees with a light North wind. It’s my birthday, so I took a personal day and will be trying to fill a doe tag this morning, then go after a buck during at a different location in the afternoon.

View attachment 69580
It was a fun morning in the stand. There was a deer in the field when I went to the stand on the e-bike , but the red lamp I used did not scare it, it just walked out of the field. Twenty minutes before shooting light a friend text me birthday wishes. When I responded, a buck snort-wheezed close by and continued to snort-wheeze at least 20 times as he left the area. As I “reflected” on being busted, I realized the light from my phone (which I held low—well under the line of sight for the deer) reflected on my eye glasses. Lesson learned! Around sunrise a doe entered the plot…and the rest is history. I found the lighted nock at the point of impact, but no arrow. This started a long blood trail that went off our property, so I decided to give the doe some time and go home to enjoy a birthday breakfast of baked oatmeal and sausage. Afterwards I resumed the search. About 10 yards accross the property line I found the bolt, sans the broadhead. Another 50 yards or so I found the deer near in the tickets just over the property line. Thus ends a memorable view from the stand.
IMG_5438.jpeg\
IMG_5440.jpeg