Cell Cam Data Harvesting: Legit concern or not?

SD51555

5 year old buck +
Well, it seems to be in the realm of forum concerns. So let's talk about it. Perhaps most haven't read the user agreement when they decided to go into the transmitting cam world. But in short, every shred of data collected by your camera is up for sale or surrender. Is there anything bad that can happen? Who knows? We have never gotten informed consent to what was ever being collected before we started using a new techology. I don't see any reason cell cams would be any different.

There is an entire industry built around selling all of your data from your calls, texts, apps, your phone, smartwatch, fitbit, your vehicle, your credit card, your browsers, your appliances, alexas, streaming services, utility providers, etc. Everyone is getting in on the action too. Tax dodgers are gonna learn this one the hard way. If you're claiming residency in a non-tax state and making digital footprints in a high tax state, those high tax states can buy all kinds of data to prove your residency is bogus and send you a hefty tax bill.

What could really happen? I don't know, but here's where my mind goes:

*Wrongful investigation/prosecution based on data acquired
*Selling your pictures to high end property brokers and you get some neighbors you don't want
*Guys like me buy the pictures off your cams to see what's going on your property
*Insurance company gets a picture of you working in front of your camera when you're supposed to be on disability
*Bag of seed confused as a bag of feed and gets you a visit from CWD police

I would just assume anyone has eyes on your property once you put up any kind of transmitting device. If you really wanna go down the rabbit hole, read up on X-Keyscore. That's where all your info is going. Also, all the proof you need of every crime committed in the last 10-20 years on earth is stored there.

Well they would get bored checking out my squirrel and rabbit cams. I have 1 doe that wanders through about ever 3-4 days.

Anyone who is breaking game laws and using cameras, especially cloud storage based cell cams, is potentially providing evidence of their actions. Cameras and cards "could" be collected and searched. Court orders "could" be written for data (photos/videos) and served upon your cell camera provider. Even if the evidence is not the smoking gun it could contradict with the story you have already given to the warden. I don't worry as I follow our regulations and I don't believe any of this would be done unless a substantial investigation was already underway.

I’d be much more concerned about long seasons, too many tags, 26 gun days… wolves, EHD, all that Trumps (cell cameras) in my opinion!

Well, it seems to be in the realm of forum concerns. So let's talk about it. Perhaps most haven't read the user agreement when they decided to go into the transmitting cam world. But in short, every shred of data collected by your camera is up for sale or surrender. Is there anything bad that can happen? Who knows? We have never gotten informed consent to what was ever being collected before we started using a new techology. I don't see any reason cell cams would be any different.

There is an entire industry built around selling all of your data from your calls, texts, apps, your phone, smartwatch, fitbit, your vehicle, your credit card, your browsers, your appliances, alexas, streaming services, utility providers, etc. Everyone is getting in on the action too. Tax dodgers are gonna learn this one the hard way. If you're claiming residency in a non-tax state and making digital footprints in a high tax state, those high tax states can buy all kinds of data to prove your residency is bogus and send you a hefty tax bill.

What could really happen? I don't know, but here's where my mind goes:

*Wrongful investigation/prosecution based on data acquired
*Selling your pictures to high end property brokers and you get some neighbors you don't want
*Guys like me buy the pictures off your cams to see what's going on your property
*Insurance company gets a picture of you working in front of your camera when you're supposed to be on disability
*Bag of seed confused as a bag of feed and gets you a visit from CWD police

I would just assume anyone has eyes on your property once you put up any kind of transmitting device. If you really wanna go down the rabbit hole, read up on X-Keyscore. That's where all your info is going. Also, all the proof you need of every crime committed in the last 10-20 years on earth is stored there.
Is this user agreement with the camera company or the cell provider? I don't remember agreeing to it but I'm sure I would have just hit the agree button without reading it anyway. I'm bothered by the entire surveillance state but I never considered that my own cameras could be part of the net.

As a side note, someone was telling me that the On X updates its satellite imagery every few days. Can anyone confirm this? They were bragging about being able to check harvest progress around their hunting land. That's getting pretty close to being able to survey anyone you want in real time. How long until we can just log on to a satellite service and go look for the big buck? (Or check if your wife is where she's supposed to be)

This one is out of Cuddelink's user agreement:

1704316967394.png

This is the Moultrie Mobile T&C. This is probably the most blunt.

1704317264524.png

Through On X you can see a recent image photos, taken within the last 30 days if you have the premium plan. I think you can request an even more recent photo if you are willing to pay for the one time image. The imagery under the last 30 days is not as clear as the normal image. So yes you could see if crops have been picked at some point. It would take some serious imagery upgrade and the willingnes to pay for that to make out antlers.

You can already track cell phones easy enough, which tend to never leaves peoples possession. Life 360 is an app we use to know where our kids our, my wife and I are both on it as well. In case I get stuck in the middle of no where with no cell service, etc..

In my mind it is much more concerning to know that everything you type or say into your phone is recorded and available to lots of people almost immediately. I have lost track of the times that I have mentioned something to my wife or kids and within a few minutes I am getting ads for something related to that conversation on my phone or laptop.

This is the Tactacam language from their T&C.

1704320983741.png

My Tactacam is only hooked to my Ipad, no cloud storage and I don't have an account with them. so I think I'm good there. (?) But that's for my weapon mounted hunting cam not a trail cam.
Location services is off on my cell camera. Might be good there. (?)
My buckeye cams transmit via RF signal. I think the government probably threw out all the old RF signal interceptors in the 80's

But yes Big brother is out of hand.

Reactions: cbw
If the government has all this info why aren’t they using it? Surely there are crimes committed daily that are caught on camera. Never heard of them every using remotely observing photos as evidence in busting someone.

If the government has all this info why aren’t they using it? Surely there are crimes committed daily that are caught on camera. Never heard of them every using remotely observing photos as evidence in busting someone.

Well they can't use it for the petty smash and grab syndicates who are "Just trying to feed themselves"
But Don't be a maga inside of a geofence.

Well they can't use it for the petty smash and grab syndicates who are "Just trying to feed themselves"
But Don't be a maga inside of a geofence.
Or a coke head in the white house or a high profile non suicidal inmate

They didn’t like cell phone data of the Libs stuffing ballots in Georgia. Multiple trips to the ballot boxes and some crossing state lines to vote.

Simple solution, don't use cell cams. On the list of concerns, it is probably # 1,589.

There are people (I'm sure you've seen them) that will post trail cam pics of bait or mineral sites on properties for sale, in areas/states where it is illegal. Im sure plenty of other game violations get posted willingly all the time, but you dont often hear these guys getting busted. Always baffled me how stupid people are and just shines a small light into the numerous violators out there.

Some of these terms seem to support this scenario. Hunter shoots world record animal and the money train starts rolling. Hunter shares trail cam photos of said animal and including the camera manufacturer name or identifier. Manufacturer throws the flag and wants their cut of the cash flow.

There are people (I'm sure you've seen them) that will post trail cam pics of bait or mineral sites on properties for sale, in areas/states where it is illegal. Im sure plenty of other game violations get posted willingly all the time, but you dont often hear these guys getting busted. Always baffled me how stupid people are and just shines a small light into the numerous violators out there.
I have a funny story about that. Clicked on YouTube video of a guy I know, he was hunting in a no bait state. Well the camera panned and there was golden acorns all over the ground. I thought about being a dick and just calling the warden but I gave him the benefit of the doubt and text him the next day and told him you may want to remove that video. He called all flustered and said it was stock footage from a bait state and should have never been there….the video was edited asap. It would not have looked good for the organization behind the video.

Sometimes crimes need to be committed where normal government operation cannot be used to achieve an objective. Also, if people realized the NSA has every email on earth back to before the time Hillary became secretary of state, they'd start expecting the NSA to cough up those emails so she could be prosecuted for selling influence and intelligence to anyone that would give money to any of her rathole schemes.

***And they are using it. Just not for what you think they should.

I work for a contractor. I remember using the jobsite checkbook to write a paycheck for a guy once who then used it to forge other checks. We had him busted with witnesses and on video. It was $2 or 3 grand circa 2015. Cops couldn’t find the time to do anything about it.

So many countless instances where people do messed up stuff and are let go.