Live from the stand thread

It was a fun morning in the stand. There was a deer in the field when I went to the stand on the e-bike , but the red lamp I used did not scare it, it just walked out of the field. Twenty minutes before shooting light a friend text me birthday wishes. When I responded, a buck snort-wheezed close by and continued to snort-wheeze at least 20 times as he left the area. As I “reflected” on being busted, I realized the light from my phone (which I held low—well under the line of sight for the deer) reflected on my eye glasses. Lesson learned! Around sunrise a doe entered the plot…and the rest is history. I found the lighted nock at the point of impact, but no arrow. This started a long blood trail that went off our property, so I decided to give the doe some time and go home to enjoy a birthday breakfast of baked oatmeal and sausage. Afterwards I resumed the search. About 10 yards accross the property line I found the bolt, sans the broadhead. Another 50 yards or so I found the deer near in the tickets just over the property line. Thus ends a memorable view from the stand.
View attachment 69591\
View attachment 69592
Congrats and happy birthday!

Reactions: 356
Any of you blood hounds have an idea on this arrow blood? Shot looked good, but it always makes me nervous when I don’t find much blood by the arrow. I backed out and waiting for a friend to show up. It'll be 4+ hours from the shot until we press on looking for him but it'll be after dark. Wish I was more in tune with reading blood on an arrow.
20241014_171530.jpg

Any of you blood hounds have an idea on this arrow blood? Shot looked good, but it always makes me nervous when I don’t find much blood by the arrow. I backed out and waiting for a friend to show up. It'll be 4+ hours from the shot until we press on looking for him but it'll be after dark. Wish I was more in tune with reading blood on an arrow.
View attachment 69596
Give it the sniff test. I’d say liver/stomach. I’m interested in what others think.

I’m not great at blood, hell im colorblind, but is there any chance it was back some based on what I’ve seeing there?

I’m in a south property stand. Beautiful evening but no deer yet. I watched several buzzards eating what was likely rodents who didn’t survive the combining.IMG_5457.jpeg

It was back a little further than textbook but it doesn't smell at all like guts. I have to assume without gut smell it was in the vitals somewhere. He dropped and spun from the sound of the bow, but I saw the arrow sticking out his backside when he bounded off, complete pass through.

How long do you wait on a liver shot?

It was back a little further than textbook but it doesn't smell at all like guts. I have to assume without gut smell it was in the vitals somewhere. He dropped and spun from the sound of the bow, but I saw the arrow sticking out his backside when he bounded off, complete pass through.

Honestly a while. I know you said it would 4 hours butd that’s minimum in my mind. Liver to me is the one where you just want them to lay down and die. I think with a liver shot they can potentially be well enough to get up if you jump them and go for a long way or they can lay down lick their wounds and never get up.

Generally 4 hours for a liver is sufficient. If the weather is cool, go longer unless you have a high risk of coyotes or bears. Good luck on the recovery.

Trailed it for 150 yards on a light and spotty trail, didn't find any beds. Decided to back out and will try again tomorrow hopefully with the help of a dog or drone.

Sorry to leave you guys hanging. Searched with the drone for 2.5 hours this morning before I decided to pick back up the blood trail. Found him 20 yards from where we stopped looking last night, stiff as a board, died on the run.

Wasted time and money on the drone but I guess it was cool to see the capabilities. Also got to see that there were mature bucks in the area (and I mean pretty close) that I've never had on camera...pretty incredible really.

Didn't get a tape on him, shot was back a little as expected, believe it was liver and single lung. He went 150 yards, died on the run, must have expired within minutes of the shot.

IMG_20241015_112302.jpg

Sorry to leave you guys hanging. Searched with the drone for 2.5 hours this morning before I decided to pick back up the blood trail. Found him 20 yards from where we stopped looking last night, stiff as a board, died on the run.

Wasted time and money on the drone but I guess it was cool to see the capabilities. Also got to see that there were mature bucks in the area (and I mean pretty close) that I've never had on camera...pretty incredible really.

Didn't get a tape on him, shot was back a little as expected, believe it was liver and single lung. He went 150 yards, died on the run, must have expired within minutes of the shot.

View attachment 69633
Hammer! Congrats! So you meant the drone didn’t find it but you were able to?

Slammer, dude! Great buck! He looks to be in good shape still too!