Live from the stand thread

I think you mentioned everything you hunt is public? So do you build those blinds or are they built by others and it’s first come first served? Curious how it works there

Not everything I hunt is publlc per se. I hunt red deer in a public recreational area, and all wilderness in Norway is open to the public. The hunting team builds blinds and towers to help us get deer. Each member is required to give three days per year to such work. We also recently built a little cabin. Farmers often have blinds over hay fields, but those are mostly used at night or for driven hunts.

The hay field in the picture above is not open to the public. The land owners here have built a few towers for their moose hunting, which starts next week(probably why i keep seeing moose). This week, 9 of us from Bergen are renting this terrain in Trøndelag for 4 days to hunt roedeer and small game. It's a 12 hour drive from Bergen. I've never been here before.

Edited for clarity

Last edited:
Not everything I hunt is publlc per se. I hunt red deer in a public recreational area, and all wilderness in Norway is open to the public. The hunting team builds blinds and towers to help us get deer. Each member is required to give three days per year to such work. We also recently built a little cabin. Farmers often have blinds over hay fields, but those are mostly used at night for driven hunts.

The hay field in the picture above is not open to the public. The land owners here have built a few towers for their moose hunting, which starts next week(probably why i keep seeing moose). This week, 9 of us from Bergen are renting this terrain in Trøndelag for 4 days to hunt roedeer and small game. It's a 12 hour drive from Bergen.
Sorry if I ask too many questions, but what is a hunting team? I’m assuming individuals can own land there like the US based on what you just said. Is public just come and go as you please for residents?

Sorry if I ask too many questions, but what is a hunting team? I’m assuming individuals can own land there like the US based on what you just said. Is public just come and go as you please for residents?

In Norway, big game quotas are alotted based on land area. Someone who owns a large enough area could get their own quota, but often several people join together as a team to get a quota for a larger area. Other times a hunting club or association can rent the hunting rights to large tracts of public or private land. In our case, the local hunting and fishing association rents the hunting rights to a large recreational area owned by the municipality. We hunt the deer ourselves and sell daily permits for fishing, small game hunting, and overnight stays in our cabin. During deer season our cabin is reserved for the deer hunters, i.e. the hunting team. It's a large area, and we have a lot of beginners, so we hunt here mostly during daylight.

On another terrain, the hunting team is just three of us employed by the group of land owners to hunt their quota. This area is privately owned, but open to the public, and it sees a fair amount of traffic from people hiking, fishing, walking dogs, etc. These deer are mostly nocturnal, so we mostly hunt at night here.

Not everything I hunt is publlc per se. I hunt red deer in a public recreational area, and all wilderness in Norway is open to the public. The hunting team builds blinds and towers to help us get deer. Each member is required to give three days per year to such work. We also recently built a little cabin. Farmers often have blinds over hay fields, but those are mostly used at night or for driven hunts.

The hay field in the picture above is not open to the public. The land owners here have built a few towers for their moose hunting, which starts next week(probably why i keep seeing moose). This week, 9 of us from Bergen are renting this terrain in Trøndelag for 4 days to hunt roedeer and small game. It's a 12 hour drive from Bergen. I've never been here before.

Edited for clarity
I spent some time in Bodø in the late 90s with the USAF. Beautiful Country!

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

IMG_9154.jpeg

Saw plenty of deer today, but not the right ones. Since we didnt draw blood by day, we decided to make a night run. Added another pig, coon, and armadillo - a real mixed bag

Managed to get a pic of a moose that came out a bit earlier.
Screenshot_20240929_003433_Gallery.jpg
Actually was able to get some video, but not sure how to post that here without a youtube account or something similar.

What happened to the roe deers rear legs?

What happened to the roe deers rear legs?

Yeah, that was a bit of a new one for me. They hunt roedeer with shotguns here. One of the shots took out its back legs.

Last sit for the roedeer hunt I didn't see anything but a hare, so I took it.

20240928_193204.jpg

Wasn't really "on stand" but did a spot and stalk hunt on greylag geese. Couldn't get into shotgun range so late in the season, so had to use my rifle. Only had hunting ammo, so I took one with a head shot when I finally managed a good stalk on a small flock of them feeding out in a barley field.

20240930_170024.jpg

How do you hunt the deer at night? Landowners sell the rights to hunt and hike on their land? Do they have the option to not let anyone hunt? Is h7nting not that popular?

How do you hunt the deer at night? Landowners sell the rights to hunt and hike on their land? Do they have the option to not let anyone hunt? Is h7nting not that popular?

Landowners can sell the right to hunt and fish on their land if they own those rights. Anyone can hike and camp on any uncultivated land in Norway.

Hunting is very popular, but many of the farmers are getting too old to hunt.

Landowners can sell the right to hunt and fish on their land if they own those rights. Anyone can hike and camp on any uncultivated land in Norway.

Hunting is very popular, but many of the farmers are getting too old to hunt.
It would be very weird to be on your own property and strangers just hiking by.

Wasn't really "on stand" but did a spot and stalk hunt on greylag geese. Couldn't get into shotgun range so late in the season, so had to use my rifle. Only had hunting ammo, so I took one with a head shot when I finally managed a good stalk on a small flock of them feeding out in a barley field.

View attachment 69126
No comment on the trailer hitch 😜