Live from the stand thread

Opening day is a Sunday?

Was out last night for our opener. Saw 5. Too much commotion in the hood last night. Cleared the field 3 times with barking dogs and screaming kids.

d7823359813e7eecfe7af3012df0b5e5.jpg

Is that thing's snoot abnormally long or is that how they all look? Thing looks like a hog/anteater cross.
Some do have really long snouts - that one maybe a hair longer than normal. That old dinosaur below has an abnormally long snout

IMG_2276.jpeg

Last edited:
Those little pigs would be great on a grill...better than those big 'uns....no? I have no knowledge of wild pigs. Be fun to hunt them....OTOH....I do not want them here.

Those little pigs would be great on a grill...better than those big 'uns....no? I have no knowledge of wild pigs. Be fun to hunt them....OTOH....I do not want them here.
The smaller ones better on the grill for sure

$. Which one do I suppress - .450 bushmaster I use the most? Or .300 or 6.5 grendel that get 50/50 use in daytime? Or save $3000 and keep shooting like I have for 65 years😎
But you don't want to startle the animal do you?

You can use the same .45 cal suppressor on the smaller calibers. Some models come with a quick detach so you can go between weapons quickly and easily.

You can use the same .45 cal suppressor on the smaller calibers. Some models come with a quick detach so you can go between weapons quickly and easily.
This. Your reply @SwampCat has an easy answer!

The wild pigs I hunted in California, would come right back out after the shooting, non suppressed.

The wild pigs I hunted in California, would come right back out after the shooting, non suppressed.
These pigs wont come back out after shooting with a bow. A rifle shot 300 yards away wont bother them. Everything my son shoots is suppressed. Even he agrees suppressed is to protect the hunter’s hearing - doesnt help with alerting the game. He uses thunderbeast - whch are some of the best suppressors going. I have no trouble hearing him shoot over a quarter mile away

Even he agrees suppressed is to protect the hunter’s hearing

That's why I do it. I have tinnitus, and I'm doing my best to avoid any further damage. I have earmuffs everywhere, and I use them for everything louder than a vacuum cleaner. People make fun of me when I run to get hearing protection, but I don't care. Better than being deaf.

It’s been a banner year so far for me.

I have had whitetails in bow range every time I gone out. I even had mule deer and whitetails in bow range within 15 minutes of each other this morning.

I had a group of whitetails at 8 yards. I was sitting on a stump next to a fence crossing. And I have seen 2 ten points and four eight point whitetails.

I have yet to get the tens in bow range, but I have had them in rifle range two separate times.

It’s been a fun week!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    445.2 KB · Views: 27
After church I helped my son from Kansas assemble his bale blind he got for Christmas (which he is placing on our farm) and he helped with the assembly of a new hard-sided I picked up to install on a trailer. At 5:30 we decided to get a short hunt in, and went to the new blind on the SE corner of our property. We busted two does going in, but I knew there were more than would likely come into the acorns, which are nearly done dropping (very early this year). At 6:30 a doe gave my son his first crossbow kill at 20 yards. We blood trailed it for over 250 yards. It was a great first sit in the new Maverick XL blind.

The non-lactating doe weight 112# on the hoof, with a great layer of fat.
Image 9-23-24 at 8.44 AM.jpeg
IMG_5310.jpeg

This morning I exited my “ man cave” aka lever lounge. And a Bull elk whistled at me.

We met again at my under construction elevated enclosed blind!

As it became light a whitetail Dink 2.5 year old buck was thrashing the willows at 44 yards.

Finally his buddy showed up and they jousted amongst the whitetail does at 85 yards. I got to see a pair of twins nursing!

Shortly after the whitetail wandered off a dozen mule deer were eating the willow pile….they were 15 yards away.

Them bigger whitetail bucks I feel sense my pressure…… strongly feel the more you hunt an area…..the less the chance of a bruiser until the rut makes them reconsider their risk management..

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    384.8 KB · Views: 12