Live from the stand thread

If i am gonna clean one deer - I would just as soon do two

I totally agree, I did the same during gun season. 2 deer, only one mess to clean up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The view out my north window. It's 22° with a blustery 15-25 wind with numerous 35 + gusts.The wife thinks I'm crazy but it's my last sit of the 2023 season. I've seen 4 so far 3 doe and a spike. Not even sure if I'll shoot one if they come close enough might just be satisfied eating 3 tag soup.

IMG_20240113_155244085_HDR.jpg

Update on my buck, the taxidermist put a tape on it and came up with 181 7/8" gross. Guess our midnight half (mostly) drunk string and flex tape didn't do it justice, who woulda thought? View attachment 59992
Decided to have it scored officially after the 60 days drying period.
Came in at 181 5/8 gross and 160 0/8 net
Crazy how they score those deductions to me, but it is what it is.

That's one of the bigger 160s you're gonna see. Just go by gross. Helluva buck

That deer scores 181 5/8
Deductions my ass, nets are for fish....

Absolutely. I tune out net score. Irrelevant to me

I’d never even mention the net score. The gross more accurately describes the size.

Measure everything they grow, nets are participation trophies.

Got my #1 (and really only) target buck this afternoon at the end of the WI gun season. I've had this buck on camera so much over the past two years, had an encounter with him at 20 yards last Dec while doing the doe management season. He's my biggest buck to date and will be a hard one to top.
This was as emotional of a moment as I've had while deer hunting. My dad passed away when I was 21 and at the time I only bird hunted. My dad enjoyed to big game hunt, he was never a trophy guy or a management guy, he hunted mostly public land. When he was sick, he wanted his brother to get his 7mm Weatherby because I didn't really have any use for it doing my bird hunting. Fast forward several years, my uncle calls me and said he knows I deer hunt now and wants me to have the gun. Awesome! Except my only property that I own/hunt is in a shotgun only zone in MN. I already had the idea of buying some land in WI to get an extra tag (2) but getting my father's gun was just more reason to do it. Last year we purchased this land in WI and it's always been on my mind to target a trophy with my dad's rifle. When it came together tonight it was the closest I have felt to my dad in a long time, it's been 19 years since he passed and I know he was out there with me today.
View attachment 59952
Rough score 175 4/8"
How did I miss this. What a hoss Brian!

I have one like that. Got him scored and the scoresheet is in a drawer somewhere. Grossed 180 and netted 162. Sometimes people ask and sometimes I say 180 and they are like, “at least!” And sometimes I say 160 and they say, “no way…” now I just tell them I don’t know and we stare up at a big ol’ giant buck. You know that feeling. Congrats again!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk