Hawggardville

Are sandhill plums also called chickasaw?

Just got 50 bare root chickasaw from kansas forestries last PM

bill

Are sandhill plums also called chickasaw?

Just got 50 bare root chickasaw from kansas forestries last PM

bill
Mine are Chickasaw plums though I'm not sure if sandhill is another name for them or not.

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

My chestnut protection is still holding on from the initial 7 I planted I'm hoping they make it long enough for cages and weed mats. I think I will know for sure how good these will work as we cut/hinged a spot for a small 15 chestnut orchard in the woods this weekend. I'm thinking it will be the ultimate test with all the squirrels around them the others I planted were in a field. I have never hinged anything but there were lots of beech and we were afraid they would root sucker bad just cutting them. My hope is if they hinge and survive they won't be as prone to root sucker. These were very small beech not over 6in diameter as I don't really want to attempt that with anything much bigger. Im considering putting some wild plum cuttings in the downed tops but don't know how plums do with cuttings.

Daniel,
I'm not sure how they root from cuttings. I know they sucker like crazy so maybe.
If you don't get any to take give me a holler this fall and I'll send you some saplings.

Got some of our rootstock in so today was grafting day. Felt kinda odd grafting in 80 degree weather, but they look good and no cold fingers.20170320_181108.jpg
20170320_181120.jpg

Looks like you have been busy grafting I expect our roots to show up either this week or next they said they get their OHxF97s tomorrow and ship Wednesday. I think I'm going to top work some pears this weekend if time permits showing one more cool night here and I think we should be in the clear. If the plum cuttings don't work out I will keep you in mind I really need to get over to Natives place he has offered some nice plums just been focused on other projects.

Looks like you have been busy grafting I expect our roots to show up either this week or next they said they get their OHxF97s tomorrow and ship Wednesday. I think I'm going to top work some pears this weekend if time permits showing one more cool night here and I think we should be in the clear. If the plum cuttings don't work out I will keep you in mind I really need to get over to Natives place he has offered some nice plums just been focused on other projects.
I did that yesterday on two wild pears I found. Changed one over to maxine and the other is winndels logdon, acres home, Korean giant, and another Perry pear though I'll have to look it up again. Theisbiene something like that.

My grafts are showing life! I was pretty anxious on Tull and Arkansas Beauty since they were so hard to come by, but it looks like I'm 100 percent on the first 4, 2 of each on standard and b118.
08178676b0306ddfd85e97e3b5696243.jpg
08e1ee421433807d9fc2624f3bc30503.jpg

Beautiful site, while I cant wait to see it, the longer my wait, the better chance of them not having frost damage this year.

That's a lot of blossoms!! Gorgeous!!

Everything's looking good there Merle !! Thanks for posting.

Beautiful! I love seeing those fruit trees blossom in the spring. Thanks for the shots Merle.

Looking good! Nice to see the blossoms, my trees are covered in white too, send some of that heat up here please.IMG_20170402_110355.jpg
That's a great shed!

Looking good! Nice to see the blossoms, my trees are covered in white too, send some of that heat up here please.View attachment 12719
That's a great shed!
Good lord Tim! That makes me cold just looking at it lol..
Keep the faith though, it's heading your way!

Good shed, Merle. Bigger next fall ?? !!

Good shed, Merle. Bigger next fall ?? !!
I'm thinking so. I've got our cameras at the house right now. Maybe I can get them back out with fresh cards and batteries this week. Our turkey season opens Monday.
I've got to work it, but I'm ready for tues morning!

Got a little done yesterday mowing the bean plot and reclaiming part of the old pasture. Plenty of wildlife out. Two of the boys showed up after they got out of class and we hit the pond till a storm ran us in the camper.
cff2f050b43d01dc983ee2913f2b31d5.jpg
6079986b300897cb73a0aeed1d408d72.jpg
5fd8737719465a751eca95845ec28144.jpg
731c1c7a75e193948cb05189c781f1d9.jpg
81ebdb9102f2d00c74cf9bca0dc97d53.jpg