Hawggardville

Merle Hawggard

5 year old buck +
I've wanted to do one of these for a while so here goes. I've got a few before pics, wish I'd taken more now, but mostly I'll post as we try to improve our neck of the woods. Our place is two farms, an 80 and a 71, about a mile apart and a mix of pasture, a pond, couple of watering holes, and springs.Joseph 114.jpg

The north end of the 80 is mostly pasture. I did plant a white pine screen along the hwy this year since it boarders it.Joseph 0841.jpg

This is from our Christmas hunt 2014. Didn't want to take a doe so I shot them with my camera.farm 009.jpg

South of the pond the previous owner made a large food plot that had stated to wash pretty bad. I came in and smoothed it out then planted shortleaf pine in 2014 when this pic was taken.farm 043.jpg

This is the same field of pines yesterday. Plenty of deer tracks and a turkey track or two as well.2016 hill.jpg

Looking back west to the cache river bottoms. Flooding pretty good with all the rains we've had. My place is on the edge of Crowley's Ridge so if it floods me, it'd float an ark.2016  hill 4.jpg

This is part of our orchard. When I bought the place it was a black locust forest, wish I had a pic of that.2016 hill3.jpg

Cherokee plum thicket. If I can beat out the wildlife this June there's wild plum jelly to be had!2016 hill2.jpg

This is over on the 71 acre farm where we have a smaller orchard in our food plot. This is a Dayton apple I grafted last spring on a standard apple tree. I'm holding my hand where I made the graft to show how much growth it made.IMG_20160331_153121384.jpg

Very nice land tour, we need more of these here. Keep the updates coming. That food plot turned pine planting is going to take off and hold deer real soon.

Very nice land tour, we need more of these here. Keep the updates coming. That food plot turned pine planting is going to take off and hold deer real soon.
Thanks bueller, I'll keep this updated, we have a lot of trees to add this year and I hope to get a chance to burn at least two of my fields this fall.

Hawggardville looks like an awesome place, can't wait to see more of it. Thanks for sharing.

Good looking place! Thanks for sharing.

Went and got the compost for my apple tree bed this morning. The cotton gin here has loads of organic leftovers from ginning cotton each year. Years ago they'd burn it off, but now they let it sit and turn into compost that farmers spread back on the fields. Since I've known them forever, they let me get all I want for my garden and such for free.KINDLE_CAMERA_1459939132000.jpg

Great pics. There's nothing like owning a piece of ground. Don't know how people live in cities. You must have a little bit of squirrel blood in you to get that high up that tree with that duck box. :eek: I've looked at the Dayton apple but never got scion. After your pics it will be at the top of the list next spring.

Great pics. There's nothing like owning a piece of ground. Don't know how people live in cities. You must have a little bit of squirrel blood in you to get that high up that tree with that duck box. :eek: I've looked at the Dayton apple but never got scion. After your pics it will be at the top of the list next spring.
Greyphase I got mine from Richard Fahey in New York after he said it was his favorite older disease resistant apple and that it made a good crop every year for him. I'm not sure how it'll do here yet, but it will put on growth for sure. Oh, and my wife took that picture of me hanging the duck box, think she thought I was going to break my neck.

Last edited: