A Microfarm

That's a good looking apple! Do you live out there full time?

Picked and froze sweet corn today. Last batch will be ready in another two months.

Cut some sunflower heads to dry. This one is larger than a 5 gallon bucket.

Tested the brix level of one of my peaches. It tested at 20!
986c5b82fddf1dd8664f98c717d3bb70.jpg
25a3b234f4ec3e060dcb08b2c77525a3.jpg

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

What will you do with the sunflowers?

Is there a benefit to picking the sunflowers to let them dry versus letting them die and dry on their own?

I usually save some sunflower seeds to plant the following year, but I just wait until they are all dried up on their own.

I'll save seeds from those big heads to plant next year. Heads like in the pic droop over til they're facing the ground, which makes it harder for birds like goldfinches, Cardinals, and bluejays to eat them. Apparently they don't like hanging upside down. The smaller heads, which remain upright, are left on the plant for the birds to eat.

That's a monster sunflower! I tried heirloom sweet corn at the cabin. it didn't do well at all. It's getting tricky to find a sweetcorn that'll grow that isn't liberty or glyphosate traited.

I pulled down the fence around my asparagus, sunflower, sorghum, flax, collard garden today. I moved a cam over there and I'm ready to watch the deer eat it up. Trying to find the perfect sorghum to plant for tonnage and browse preference.

Picked a Macoun today. It was very enjoyable and made me want more. Here are my notes.

Medium size when thinned, or will be small.
Red blushes and stripes when ripe. May even turn purplish
Flesh is light, juicy, and sweet, with hints of berry.
Bruises easily.
Holds it's shape in baking.
Vigorous upright tree, spur bearing.
Highly susceptible to scab, moderately to fireblight.
Drops quickly.
5824a204b7eac0c46fb4c6d371f13831.jpg

From left to right.
Frostbite, Moonglow pear, Enterprise, Spartan, Honeygold.
01a4d9ab4881ee9860d4e24b1b582dba.jpg

I remember when Enterprise was all the rage among deer apples for being resilient and low maintenance. That looks really good.

Frostbite was on top of my list to plant on my place before I threw in the towel on planting trees, mostly because of being in bear country.

All 4 of those apples are off of my Frankentree.

Frostbite is small, firm, and very juicy, very sweet and aromatic. Good for snacking and cider. Medium vigor, spreading tree, spur bearing. Keeps up to 4 months. Good annual crops.

Enterprise - medium size with thick, tough skin. Firm, crisp, juicy. Tart when picked, sweetens after a month in storage. Vigorous, spreading tree, spur bearing, keeps up to 4 months. Resistant to fire blight and cedar apple rust. Very resistant to scab.

Spartan - medium size, crisp and juicy. Some acidity, hints of melon and strawberry. Intended for fresh eating, but good sweet addition to cider. Moderately vigorous, upright spreading. Bears annually but needs thinning to maintain size. Keeps up to 5 months. Resistant to mildew, but susceptible to scab and canker. Moderately susceptible to fire blight.

Honeygold - large, crisp and tender. Juicy, sweet, with hints of honey. Moderately vigorous, open tree which bears early. Keeps up to 3 months in storage. Resistant to scab and mildew, susceptible to rust and very much so to fire blight. Drops over a sustained period, with some apples holding all winter.

Honeygold is my favorite of these four.

From left to right.
Frostbite, Moonglow pear, Enterprise, Spartan, Honeygold.
01a4d9ab4881ee9860d4e24b1b582dba.jpg
Nice fruit, Barndog56!! You & the critters must be enjoying them.

Where did you get your frostbite?

I did get weak this year and plant one apple tree (prairie fire) on the lawn at stab camp. If that one lives through the winter, I may get another one next year. I'm not going full blown orchard, but wouldn't mind having 3-4 low maintenance apple trees on the yard. I have neighbors that have apple trees, so I know it's possible.

I secured two different orders from USDA GRIN of 25 varieties each. Then grafted those to B118, M111, Bud 9, or seedling apples

I secured two different orders from USDA GRIN of 25 varieties each. Then grafted those to B118, M111, Bud 9, or seedling apples
Is your Frostbite pretty low maintenance? what region of the flat earth are you located?

I'm in central Wisconsin. I consider all my apples low maintenance. I don't spray with fungicides or insecticides as I don't want to harm the good stuff.

I do spray with a foliar fertilizer that includes cobalt to prevent Scab. I've never had a tree get fireblight. I only get a few orange spots on my trees that are CAR magnets.

I have no info jotted down on the disease susceptibility of Frostbite, but the leaves on mine are clean.

All Winter Hangover

This tree is only a 5foot tall whip in my nursery, to be transplanted in a few weeks. I didn't notice it had these apples til halfway thru the summer. Picked them off today and tossed them out for the deer to find.
9dac9162e813231980810ad8d375315a.jpg

I bought 3 Honeycrisp trees from Walmart before I learned to graft, 5 years ago. One of them produces apples like the one on the right. They turn fully red when they ripen, and I finished picking them all today.

The other 2 trees produce apples like the one on the left. They ripen with alternating stripes of yellow and red. I picked a third of those today, but the rest will go another week. Several of those are noticeably larger as well.

Apples off of both trees are absolutely delicious! More flavor then any I've ever bought at the store.

I've heard Honeycrisp are difficult to grow, but the only problem I've had is a few of them have started to split. I assume that is a drought/heavy rain issue.
ea41c2f774fbea870d8ecd1d158859f4.jpg