A Microfarm

Barndog56

5 year old buck +
I should have started a land tour a long time ago. But I didn't have any hunting success on our property until this past year. Probably 90% of my hunting has taken place on public land, but this year all the domino's fell into place.

My wife and I are both unskilled factory workers, living paycheck to paycheck. We lived in rental in properties for the first several years we were together. In 2013 and 2014 we were able to work a ton of hours, allowing us to clean up our credit scores and save a little for a down payment.

When we started looking our wish list included a small house for the 2 of us, with land for a couple horses. Didn't imagine we could afford anything with hunting land. After about 4 months of nothing we found a 2 bedroom foreclosure on 5 acres, with a horse barn and a pole building. The house needed to be updated, including minor septic and well work, which was confirmed by our house inspection, enabling us to get it for $65k.

Here's an overhead of the surrounding area.
Screenshot_20230319-123625~2.png
The red dot is our 5 acres. The two green dots just south(15 acres) are owned by someone who I haven't seen in the 9 years we've been here. At the time of purchase the 3 blue dot properties (150 acres) were owned by a woman who never wandered off the 1 acre her house sat on. Although she did rent out the grass fields to someone who baled it. The two purple dots are owned by a sand and gravel company. The yellow dot to the north is public land, with more of that farther north. Off the picture to the east is 20 acres off ag, with more public behind it.

So my imagination led me to hope hunting might be possible, with no appreciable pressure surrounding us. On the first walkthrough I could tell deer frequented our place as all the red clover and alfalfa in the back of our property were being eaten.

Screenshot_20230319-123552~2.png
Here's a closer look at our place. Once you account for the house, barn, pole building, and pasture for my wife's 3 horses, this left about 1.5 acres at the back. The top left corner drops off about 10 feet to a marsh, with an oak tree line just this side of it.

The first fall I killed some grass, through out a no plow mix, and set up a little ground blind.
IMG_0454~2.jpg
I managed to call in a fork buck one morning, who just looked around from the treeline for a couple minutes before leaving. And then in early December our bloodhound was looking out the window one afternoon and spotted a huge buck walking through. Tracks showed he walked by about 20 yards from the ground blind.

Spent that whole winter planning all the things I would start working on in spring!

Congratulations on the new place….it looks like a great opportunity for habitat management planning and working with the neighbors. Our first place was 8 acres (all wooded). Putting in a plot and travel quarters only required a chainsaw, riding mower, gly, matches, time and rake harrow. My most memorable hunt to date came from that property. Keep us posted on the improvements.

That looks really nice - being able to walk out your back door and hunt is tough to beat. A food plot should draw in the deer well, but I'd also look into planting some apple trees. Once they are established, they can provide decades of deer food and your neighborhood deer will check on them frequently.

Not to mention that public just up the road looks awesome. You could definitely learn that place like the back of your hand

Just want to make it clear that my wife and I bought this place in 2014. I just started my land tour back then to fill in the details of what's taken place to this point.

In 2015 I put up a trail cam. The cam, and my own observations showed that deer almost never walked through my place during daylight. In the fall I tried another no-till mix. Deer did use it, but at nighttime.

I also began my apple tree journey. I bought around 20 fruit trees, mostly apple with a couple plum and pear as well. Bought them from a cheap seed company, I think called E-Burgess. They were all about 12" tall, and not a one leafed out in spring.

I hunted the public just up the road a few times, but no luck even though I saw a ton of sign.

In 2016 I found you guys on the forum and started to learn what I should be doing. I used the throw and mow method and broadcast red clover and alfalfa. Since there was already some of each in my field, which the deer ate routinely, I figured more couldn't hurt.

Hunted more on the public near me that fall and got my first doe there, just a week into bow season. It was nice getting one close to home.

Screenshot_20230320-190326.png
20160922_191817.jpg

In 2017 I bought a dozen fruit trees from Walmart. They were all in 3 gallon pots and most were pretty root bound. I did what I could with them, but a couple didn't survive and a couple others have not grown at all since then. But I did get some Honeycrisp, Zestar, State Fair, Kieffer pears, and Toka and Pipestone plums to eat last year.

I also picked up a dozen Chinese Chestnut seedlings. Almost every winter they die back to the ground, and then send up new shoots in the spring. I believe there's 4 of them left. In the fall I killed as much grass as I could and broadcast winter rye. I had a good stand of it the following May.
20170515_182256.jpg
In the fall I tried brassicas for the first time and got a good stand of radish and turnips. The deer only browsed the radishes a little while growing, but cleaned up all of both kinds of bulbs over the winter.

I like it! Well done. Great story on how you and your wife made it happen. I went through similar.

Small properties can really be developed into sweet spots. The first place we bought was around the same time you bought your place, it was the Little Woods it was eight acres and has been a complete joy to have, this past year we shot two nice bucks off of it. Since then we added a few more acres to it and now we will be moving there soon.

Awesome Barndog! Love to see other peoples land tours, you work with what you got and doing great with it bud! I look forward to your updates as things progress.

In 2017 I bought a dozen fruit trees from Walmart. They were all in 3 gallon pots and most were pretty root bound. I did what I could with them, but a couple didn't survive and a couple others have not grown at all since then. But I did get some Honeycrisp, Zestar, State Fair, Kieffer pears, and Toka and Pipestone plums to eat last year.

I also picked up a dozen Chinese Chestnut seedlings. Almost every winter they die back to the ground, and then send up new shoots in the spring. I believe there's 4 of them left.
About the same experience with Chinese chestnut at my land in zone 4b. Think pretty much gone after 5 yrs.

Assume sandy where you are being Waushara Cty. That has its own challenges for growing fruit trees but crabapples seem to do pretty well in that stuff. Way faster growth than say American plum. For the apples what rootstock are you finding works for you?

In 2018 I took the advice of this forum and learned to graft my own apples. I bought both B118 and M111 from Cummins, and picked 25 varieties from GRIN. I think I had around a 90% success rate with whip and tongue grafts. I stuck them all in a nursery so I could baby them til fall transplant time.
20180522_161558.jpg
I sprayed my field with gly and throw n mowed some ladino clover. I think I did it a little later in the year than ideal as I ended up with a field full of marestail. Most recommendations were to spray with 2-4,D but I just let it grow and mowed right before it set seed. I did have a nice stand of ladino underneath. I over seeded everything with winter rye in the fall.

About the same experience with Chinese chestnut at my land in zone 4b. Think pretty much gone after 5 yrs.

Assume sandy where you are being Waushara Cty. That has its own challenges for growing fruit trees but crabapples seem to do pretty well in that stuff. Way faster growth than say American plum. For the apples what rootstock are you finding works for you?
I've got B118, M111, seedling rootstock, and some Bud 9 up by the house. I do have very sandy soil, and it's very windy, but have had no problems with any rootstocks yet. This year I'm getting 25 Dolgo rootstock to try.

In 2019 I got another 25 varieties from GRIN and used seedling rootstock.

I frost seeded crimson clover and yellow sweet clover. Both grew well but didn't lead to any increase in deer use of my field. The sweet clover was as tall as my winter rye in the summer. I could barely get the mower through it. I would recommend it to anyone trying to jumpstart the biomass in their food plot.

I had no issues with marestail, and never have again since letting it grow the year before.

In the fall I saw a black bear while in stand on public land. It was about 40 yards out before turning and walking away.
20190916_194141.jpg
20190916_181415.jpg

I haven't seen one again since, but have seen a bobcat, a badger, and a fisher while on the public near me.

I ended up sticking a pair of does and a forkhorn buck that fall.

So by that time(2020) I had realized that it didn't really matter what I had growing, or how much of it. With no pressure at all on the land surrounding mine, deer hardly ever came out of the woods in daylight. So I decided to change focus on a couple of things.

I started to focus my apple growing on producing fruit for sale from a farm stand, rather than for deer. I'm now up to 160 apple trees, of 50 different varieties. The deer will still get lots of them though.

And my food plot plantings have been put on autopilot. The plot is based on white and red clover, and alfalfa. I overseed with rye ever fall, and buckwheat each summer. And will add more clover to the fall planting when needed. When necessary I'll have to spray for grasses, but won't be spraying for broadleaf weeds.

So by that time(2020) I had realized that it didn't really matter what I had growing, or how much of it. With no pressure at all on the land surrounding mine, deer hardly ever came out of the woods in daylight. So I decided to change focus on a couple of things.

I started to focus my apple growing on producing fruit for sale from a farm stand, rather than for deer. I'm now up to 160 apple trees, of 50 different varieties. The deer will still get lots of them though.

And my food plot plantings have been put on autopilot. The plot is based on white and red clover, and alfalfa. I overseed with rye ever fall, and buckwheat each summer. And will add more clover to the fall planting when needed. When necessary I'll have to spray for grasses, but won't be spraying for broadleaf weeds.
Does your rye muscle out a spot in that white clover that it can come back in the spring?

So after making those decisions, the neighbor decided to put her 150 acres up for sale, in 3 different parcels.

The 30 acres north of me was bought and put into farm production. The new owner put 8 foot fences around 4 acres, using it for a market garden. The remaining acres are being used to raise cattle, pigs, chickens, and turkeys. This has eliminated any chance that deer will enter my property from the north, but that was a rare occurrence anyway.

The other 120 acres were split in half, with one parcel directly west of me, and the other north of that. The hew owner of the north property built a machine shed right away, then added a house in 2022. They're from Illinois and seldom there. I have no idea if they do any hunting. The new owner of the property to my west have made no changes, but I do see them parked there as if hunting on occasion.

Don't know if that's why, but in 2023 the deer started showing up before dark on a more consistent basis. Finally I would get them on camera 2 or 3 times a week during shooting hours.

So I hunted it harder this past fall than ever before. And it paid off. On Saturday October 15th I got a doe with my crossbow. On Monday October 24th I got an 8 point buck with my crossbow. And then a 10 point buck on Tuesday November 22nd, with my rifle.

By far my best season ever. Going to be hard to top!

Does your rye muscle out a spot in that white clover that it can come back in the spring?
Yes, but that may be because the clover isn't thick enough to stop it. With no equipment, I've never had a super thick stand.

Yes, but that may be because the clover isn't thick enough to stop it. With no equipment, I've never had a super thick stand.
You got sandy soil there?

You got sandy soil there?
Very sandy. That's why I love red clover. When we get a dry month during the summer, the white clover will get pretty crispy, but the red and the alfalfa keep chugging along.

I bought 10 comfrey root cuttings from Coe's Comfrey 2 years ago. The pollinators love it, and it's a pretty fantastic dynamic accumulator. I chop and drop the leaves as mulch or use them to make liquid fertilizer.

They were just starting to sprout last week so I dug them up and divided them. I had enough to create 50 new plants from them, plus replanting the original 10. Those 50 have been planted 3 feet from an existing apple tree, 2 plants per tree. Twice a year I'll be able to chop and drop the comfrey fully mulching the apple trees.

In addition to the plants, I've now got about 250 root cuttings. Comfrey grows easily from just a chunk of root. I'll be posting them for sale in the classified section if anyone is interested.

Currently laid off from my job for 3-6 months so lots of time for habitat work, as long as the projects are free. If anyone within about an hour of Wautoma needs habitat help, I can be had for about $15 an hour! Lol

Sold some Dolgo crabapple seedlings thru Facebook marketplace. I had 8 left after a week of sales so planted them today. I'll graft to them next spring. I also started a new compost pile. Anytime I do I bring a couple scoops of older compost to add soil life to the new pile. I'm always amazed by how many worms are in each shovel full.
PXL_20230427_172618260.jpg