All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hawggardville

This tree got girdled this winter. Figured it would die but had a dolgo seedling at the house so we planted next to this Apple tree leaned it over and grafted them together.

And it appears to have wored. Curious if it will act like a standard or the b118 it was originally placed on.

Pic of our pear orchard think there is a crabapple or two mixed in but the rest are pears.

KINDLE_CAMERA_1464796329000.jpg Being on the edge of the ridge I have a lot of agricultural fields around both the farms. This surrounds the 71 acre place. I didn't plant any of it, but the deer use it quite bit.

Last edited:
Repotted chestnuts yesterday and this guy thought he was hid the whole time.

Had a Ribston Pippin we grafted in March shrivel it's leaves up and look mostly dead. Went out of town for a few days and it had pushed some new growth.

Did a little work in the heat yesterday. I stopped at the concrete plant in town and got a yard, thought I'm pretty sure he gave me more, of pea gravel and my son and I put new mats down and placed gravel around trees till we couldn't go anymore. I'd took pictures, but I was quite wilted by the end of the day. Only had one tree showing stress, but we gave it an extra soaking so hope it perks up. Our bean plot looks good, just need a rain.

There's some big ol bucks on that ridge, trail cams catching any. Place is looking good.

I need to do a card check may go up there tomorrow to do that. Have had lots of does but trouble catching anything bigger than a yearling so far.

Last edited:
There's some big ol bucks on that ridge, trail cams catching any. Place is looking good.
Thanks Btaylor, we usually get a few nice ones every year. I've not got up there in three weeks with work and my granddaughter being here part of her summer break, but I'm going Sat morning as soon as I get off work to water and check on things. I'm having withdrawals.

Do much Duck Hunting down there in Clay County, MH? Place looks great!

Do much Duck Hunting down there in Clay County, MH? Place looks great!
My son does when he gets a chance. I tag along for the breakfast!
Really a lot of great duck hunting just west of us in the cache and black river bottoms.

Hard to beat a full-fledged breakfast in a duck blind about 9 am.

Yeah that 9:15 bunch ain't coming in until you have a mouth full of food to jam up your call, lol. I turn the safety off with the first bite.

Gate to hawggardville,

Eagle beans pretty happy with are first attempt though more weeds then I hoped for.

Planted 6 trees on anatova this spring as 4 ft whips and all but one are out of a 5 ft tube and two well above the five foot tube. Really like the tubes from the wildlife group.

Also planted multiple pears from the wildlife group, one Dozier crab, and one each of the au buck 3 and 4, as well as 5 of the wildlife pears from mossy oak and this one has really put on some growth.

Don't think I've ever posted a big picture of the pond which is just a little over 4 acres, put 400 catfish in it over the past two years, has some big lmb, white crappie, and bluegill ready.

Beautiful looking pond. I can already see the catfish nuggets frying in a pan.

Like I said earlier not alot of buck pics so far but where there are does now they will follow.

Three does

4 does
One of the few picks of a buck this year and it early a pic at that.

Went up to the farm yesterday we have the big pond towards the back but another little pond that holds water ok up front. Pulled up and ran a bunch of bull frogs off.

Also had 4 apples on Dayton which will be a first for it.

Also finally got a nice pick a buck on camera this time as well.