A few habitat pics I thought you might enjoy

No competition, Bill cry’s Uncle and throws in the towel this year. :)

But the year is so young. You always have a great crop of bucks.

But the year is so young. You always have a great crop of bucks.

Yep it's early and some of my spring plots fizzled in the Sahara. which I'm saying is why my good picture count is low. I'm not calling tag soup yet. Statistically speaking this is my year at the farm! My brother and son have had their fun the last few seasons. I'll be at bat this year, guilt free :)

Native - Those blackberries look incredible !!! I haven't seen any here get that tall. I'd be making blackberry cobbler / crumble or pie for sure. It's nice to be able to pick ABOVE all the thorns from the truck.

I think your bucks are gonna be suspended from the season for P.E.D.'s :emoji_scream::emoji_astonished: …...…………………..:emoji_thumbsup:

Well, it's be about 3 weeks since my last update, so thought I would do one today.

I put this long and narrow fall plot in today. It is a mixture of grains, clovers and chicory with just a touch of radish. If our weather forecast is accurate, this will be good. If not, I may be replanting later on.

3FpT1tgh.jpg

moclsQbh.jpg

This plot was put in last fall. It is in good shape for this year. I might mow it high later on just to scatter the seed and get it to growing lush again.

tsMxOBAh.jpg

dRjxFmJh.jpg

These are some pictures of my "Rebel without a Cause" plots planted a few weeks ago.

nG4RFuuh.jpg

dvjdrUPh.jpg

The deer are still content.

PJI763ch.jpg

sSuxLreh.jpg

NgInNCSh.jpg

The NWSGs don't appear to be suffering for anything:

21w7vsYh.jpg

LY5eZfvh.jpg

Heavy persimmon crop this year.

VTLpD9sh.jpg

YhGA51Ah.jpg

A few apples:

ogwbZvrh.jpg

kBZllJYh.jpg

hDPZfPdh.jpg

INSptEsh.jpg

Q35Muhuh.jpg

That's about it guys. Only thing left to do is finish my plot work and mow shooting lanes a little later. Take Care and best wishes.

Last edited:
Plots look great! Moisture is a wonderful thing..

I was hoping that smaller buck (which isn't small) was going to turn out to be the old Abby.
He's a cool buck but Abby's brows would be like 2 foot long by now. Stick him if he walks by first!

What kind of apples and apple trees Steve?

Situation normal at the Native ranch.
What all is in the "Rebel without a cause" plot ?? Fast growth for a few weeks old and it looks good.
Say hello to Dad for me. How's he doing and what's he been up to ??

Plots look great! Moisture is a wonderful thing..

I was hoping that smaller buck (which isn't small) was going to turn out to be the old Abby.
He's a cool buck but Abby's brows would be like 2 foot long by now. Stick him if he walks by first!

Bill, I was hoping so much that it was him, but there came a point I gave up hope.

What kind of apples and apple trees Steve?

Jordan,

The apples in the picker are Priscilla.
The next pic is the tree they came from. A few are ripening but most need to hang a few more days.
The next pic with the green apples is Brushy Mountain Limbertwig.
The next after that is Yates. These won't be ripe until late October.
The last picture is Betsy Deaton. Those will be ripe in less than a month. Some beginning to get the deep red color.

Situation normal at the Native ranch.
What all is in the "Rebel without a cause" plot ?? Fast growth for a few weeks old and it looks good.
Say hello to Dad for me. How's he doing and what's he been up to ??

Thanks Bows. The Rebel plot is where I saw some good rain predicted and decided to go ahead and do an early fall plot. Most of the species I planted were cool season stuff, but I threw in a little buckwheat too. It is actually turning out decent. The deer are eating the buckwheat and nipping at the brassicas. The other stuff has germinated, and beginning to grow, incuding the oats. It was kind of an experiment. Our rains have been very good.

The Rebel plot was spray - throw - and mow. As you can see, I disked that other plot in the pics above. This was an area that had deep grass roots and heavy sod. I felt like this first year that I needed to disk, but after this year I can do throw and mow there too.

I will tell Dad you said hello. I had to take him Thursday for the shots in his eyes he gets every three months for his AMD. It's painful for him, but it's helping him keep his eyesight, so he bears up and keeps doing it. He has actually been doing pretty good. He always has a few farm jobs going to keep him busy and coyote hunts occasionally. He has whacked so many coyotes in the last few years, our population is very low. Sometimes I won't get a picture of one for three weeks or more. I just tell him to keep up the good work....:emoji_laughing:

Thanks Bows. The Rebel plot is where I saw some good rain predicted and decided to go ahead and do an early fall plot. Most of the species I planted were cool season stuff, but I threw in a little buckwheat too. It is actually turning out decent. The deer are eating the buckwheat and nipping at the brassicas. The other stuff has germinated, and beginning to grow, incuding the oats. It was kind of an experiment. Our rains have been very good.

The Rebel plot was spray - throw - and mow. As you can see, I disked that other plot in the pics above. This was an area that had deep grass roots and heavy sod. I felt like this first year that I needed to disk, but after this year I can do throw and mow there too.

I will tell Dad you said hello. I had to take him Thursday for the shots in his eyes he gets every three months for his AMD. It's painful for him, but it's helping him keep his eyesight, so he bears up and keeps doing it. He has actually been doing pretty good. He always has a few farm jobs going to keep him busy and coyote hunts occasionally. He has whacked so many coyotes in the last few years, our population is very low. Sometimes I won't get a picture of one for three weeks or more. I just tell him to keep up the good work....:emoji_laughing:
Looks like he has a purpose for keeping his eyes sharp, and everyone benefits...well, except those damn 'yotes!

Looks like he has a purpose for keeping his eyes sharp, and everyone benefits...well, except those damn 'yotes!

That's for sure. There was a time when we were literally overrun with them here. His hunting them has made a lot of difference. He hunts on several farms in the general area, so it does add up. Plus, last year I bought in a trapper and plan on bringing him back again. That guy got two and also a bobcat.

Right around deer season is when coyotes seem the worst here. We seem to have them move in from surrounding areas. I think all the rabbits in the NWSGs is one factor.

That just goes to show that having good diverse habitat will benefit ALL critters, even the not so desirable ones. That cover provided by the NWSG and the overabundance of bunny hoppers will definitely keep the young of the year coyotes prowling around your place, which is fine as long as you have the "controls" in place.

I am so jealous of all the folks on this who can raise apples. The non target critters get all my fruit and and literally tear the trees down before anything is ready to pick - and I dont even have bears - yet.

It is interesting to see the differences in how different folks across the country manage their ground and the trials and tribulations they have to deal with. Folks down here in the south deal with extreme heat, drought, and hogs - among other things. Those in the north have to cope with cold, snow, and maybe wolves. I think maybe a band across the middle provides the best conditions for a wildlife manager.

Great pics. It is good to see someone truly interested in managing the whole ecosystem. I am not there. MOST of what I do is intended to put more game on my ground, with distant secondary thoughts of building the soils and that type of thing. Good luck - and may the rain keep falling.

I am so jealous of all the folks on this who can raise apples. The non target critters get all my fruit and and literally tear the trees down before anything is ready to pick - and I dont even have bears - yet.

It is interesting to see the differences in how different folks across the country manage their ground and the trials and tribulations they have to deal with. Folks down here in the south deal with extreme heat, drought, and hogs - among other things. Those in the north have to cope with cold, snow, and maybe wolves. I think maybe a band across the middle provides the best conditions for a wildlife manager.

Great pics. It is good to see someone truly interested in managing the whole ecosystem. I am not there. MOST of what I do is intended to put more game on my ground, with distant secondary thoughts of building the soils and that type of thing. Good luck - and may the rain keep falling.

Thanks Swampcat. I feel for you with those dang hogs. Sure glad we don't have them here.

I do enjoy the habitat work. It is a blessing to be able to do it.

Take care and keep the faith!

We have an incredible rain forecast so I went ahead and did the rest of my fall plots today. I did the mowing with a DR instead of a bushhog, so you can guess how tired I am.

1Wgigm7.jpg

The day started out foggy. So beautiful out there early this morning.

zoM19tr.jpg

gpsCrgz.jpg

There was also some beauty along the stream corridor today.

xubRjISh.jpg

xf1bTYIh.jpg

ZyfCQEhh.jpg

JubtNBQh.jpg

July 27th planted plot coming on strong.

V9Uyfysh.jpg

KoSv66Ah.jpg

HIAwwzDh.jpg

My neighbor's bean look great for a first year in crops.

z48BKh5h.jpg

RXXkZ4Ih.jpg

Still got some deer around.

Sn0X77i.jpg

rQJ9Cao.jpg

ahgaH8i.jpg

5v6ePPq.jpg

6Z1Tff7.jpg

ujBLeA4.jpg

That's about it folks. Keep the faith and pray for rain!!!

Fantastic pics Native!

Fantastic pics Native!

Thanks H2O. I love this time of year because of all the wildflowers. There are still a few left to bloom, and when the Indian Grass heads out that is nice too.

Thanks H2O. I love this time of year because of all the wildflowers. There are still a few left to bloom, and when the Indian Grass heads out that is nice too.

Totally agree...what is the ferny looking one you have with the yellow flowers? I've got some of that in my pasture this summer, the bees like it.

Great pix Native !! I see Joe Pye weed, jewel weed, goldenrod, partridge pea, - don't know what the lavender & darker purple flowers are in 2 separate pix. Buckwheat looks really good, too. Neighbor's beans for even more nutrition. Deer look happy & healthy. Cookin' on all burners there, Native.