6.5 creedmore?

Angus 1895

5 year old buck +
Who has been around this cartridge?

like?

no like?

thanks

I don’t know anything about them, but it seems like the last time guns got tight, all you could find was 6.5 and no ammo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I’ve shot a couple. Seemed fine. If I was looking for a new bolt action deer rifle I would consider it. Like others say, for most hunters I don’t think it does much different than what we’ve had for a long time.

If a modest velocity/recoil 130-140 grain bullet meets your objectives, it’s a great choice. Lots of people try to either pretend it’s more than it is OR disparage it because it’s numbers don’t compare to some bigger cartridge with way more recoil.

The things it does well that make it so popular:
-pushes high BC bullets without much recoil yet still has decent barrel life
-can feed from standard short action length magazines with long heavy for caliber bullets that are not stuffed deep in the case taking up powder space.
-brass doesn’t stretch as much as more traditional cartridges with more case taper and shallower shoulder angles
-factory rifles are chambered and twisted to accommodate the longer high bc bullets.

Beyond that, they are one of the most available factory ammo cartridges out there, for prices as low as almost anything, and there is a slough of quality options for brass and bullets.

6.5x47 lapua (basically same thing, cun+ hair smaller case) has been my primary steel shooting cartridge for a long time. Only problem is it’s basically a hand loader only cartridge. I have 2 girls under 2 now and don’t have as much time for the load bench so I recently bought a 6.5 creedmoor tikka online and had them ship it to a gunsmith to chop it @ 18” and thread the muzzle for a suppressor and also sent them a 6mm blank to chamber in 6 creedmoor and finish @18” as well. This way I can shoot a bunch of factory ammo which you can get for close to $1/round and keep proficiency up without needing hours at the load bench. I like the 6mm even better for deer sized game. I think most people use too much cartridge and would be better suited something with less recoil.

Last edited:
If you got a 270, you got about the same thing. 2940fps. In the bloodshot velocity zone....... My 270 would mess up the front shoulder meat on a double lung.

Past 15 years most have been harvested with 450 marlin, 44 mag in a sabot, or a 54 roundball. 30-06 I had was noticeably less bloodshot but more than the others.

Almost bought it, guns available, but no ammo. Went with 308 because son-in-law has several rifles and virtually no ammo around....... Never can figure out those guys.......

how does it do with 22 inch barrels?

how does it do with 22 inch barrels?

I think that’d be a good length for a hunting rifle. What would you want out of it? Use case? A lot of the 140 class factory ammo would probably be under 2700 fps muzzle velocity in a 22” tube. Hand loads could be low 2700s without pushing crazy hard. 130s could still be mid 2800s.

Anything with the name "creed more' on it seems to sell right now. I see allot of ammo available too. Seems it's the latest darling for accuracy and performance on deer sized game. Dunno.....never owned one....and likely will not. I been shooting. 25-06 or 308, or 7mm/08 mostly these days....and don't see any significant advantage of this round. ....at least for my purposes. Ammo shortage still is an issue for some rounds.....such as 25-06. I have dies and can reload if it comes to that.....but I dont shoot that much these days.

I have 2 6.5 Creedmore rifles one in AR platform and a Savage Ashbery chassis rifle I like them just fine. If you’re buying a new rifle then I would seriously consider the round. It’s very comparable to a 7mm-08 more than the 270 because of bullet selection 270 is an excellent hunting round but bullet selection is miserable compared to 6.5mm 7mm or .308. I suspect it will have a very long service life do to it’s popularity and can be made from any .308 Remington family brass if it does fall out of favor. I wouldn’t trade off any other commonly used centerfire rifle to replace it with a 6.5 unless you’re shooting long range in a competition setting. It’s a fine round if your looking for a new short action rifle.

I was working on a trade for a Ruger # 1 with a 22 inch barrel

I think the 6.5 bullet is very capable. I love my 6.5 x 55.

My buddy has come up for a few years and consistently thumped Cow elk with a 6.5 creedmore.

It seems like a very interesting cartridge.

My buddy has come up for a few years and consistently thumped Cow elk with a 6.5 creedmore.

I've got a set of 6.55 x 55 dies I picked up somewhere along the line. Great cartridge for many things. The dies I have are used....but not by me. If you can use them.....let me know. I'd send them to you. Always thought I might pick up one of those guns...just never did. I believe they are RCBS - two die set.

Factory creedmoor ammo will outperform factory 6.5x55 ammo just because the swede is loaded to such low pressures. If loaded to similar pressures a swede will be faster than a creedmoor by (i'm guessing) 60-100 FPS with 140 class bullets, just not in a short action.

Research what bullets you use very carefully,Even outdoor life had article about whether it should be used for deer size game.I think they decided it all came down to the bullet but like cat said not much special about it.I will stick with my 7mag if I decide to shoot a deer with a gun

I don't have personal experience with 6.5Creedmoor, but since I live and hunt in Scandinavia, I have a lot of experience with the 6.5x55 Swedish.

In Norway, most people hunt big game with 6.5 Swede. That includes roe deer, red deer, reindeer, and moose. It is an excellent round, and I was surprised it never took off in the US. When the 6.5 Creedmoor took off in the US, I thought "yeah, that makes sense."

I've shot the 6.5 Swede a lot, and it is generally very accurate. I haven't hunted with it, but I have hunted with several people who use the cartridge, and it performs very well, including two stags that dropped in their tracks.

I see the 6.5 Creedmoor as a superior replacement for the 243, and an inferior but passable alternative to the 308. The 6.5 is excellent for people of smaller stature who might find a 308 unpleasant to shoot. It is a good round for anything from coyotes up to and including moose. Norwegians even use it on large birds with FMJ bullets.

In conclusion, I think it is an excellent choice, and you are likely to be very happy with it. Personally, I prefer 308, but I am larger than average.

According to what I have seen is that most of the bullets made for the 6.5 creed do little damage and I saw several deer lost one that was hit twice and tracked for 1/2 mile.Also tracked a doe that was hit right behind the shoulder run 200 yards and bleed very little.Read the article in I think it was Outdoor life.I think it was titled deer killer or deer wounder,something along those lines.

According to what I have seen is that most of the bullets made for the 6.5 creed do little damage and I saw several deer lost one that was hit twice and tracked for 1/2 mile.Also tracked a doe that was hit right behind the shoulder run 200 yards and bleed very little.Read the article in I think it was Outdoor life.I think it was titled deer killer or deer wounder,something along those lines.

It’s not like they load shitty bullets in 6.5 creedmoor hunting ammo and then good ones in 243, 270, 7mm-08, 6.5x55, 260 rem, etc. I haven’t killed a mountain of deer with rifles but I’ve never seen a deer hit correctly with an expanding centerfire bullet not die quickly.

Edit: not sure I read your post 100% correctly the first time. What bullets were used in the instances you saw with questionable performance?

Last edited:
The bullets ive seen people use here in 6.5 are Federal Fusion, Trophy Bonded, Nosler Partition, and Norma Oryx. All of them seem to perform very well when they hit the vitals.

Wonder what Outdoor Life Has to say about shooting deer with a 30-30 or 243. I've been killing whitetails for about 20 years with a 6.5x55 hand loaded with 45gr of AA3100 and 120gr Remington PSP.
Sadly I can't get the powder or bullet anymore. I'll be going to 4831 and probably a 140gr pill of undetermined brand. Our shooting is usually under 100 yds because we don't have any clearings bigger than that.

The 6.5 Creedmoor was developed for long range target shooting, but that doesn't mean you can't used it for hunting, with the proper bullets.

To the OP if you're working on a trade for 6.5 Creedmoor in a Ruger #1 I'd go for it just to see what it is capable of. If I was to be buying a new bolt action I think I'd look at the 260 Remington. I think it would be fun to try a boatload if handloads in that 260.

Oh. Ruger #1 in 6.5 Creedmoor? I must have missed that. I would love that. I lust over that rifle in most any cartridge.