How bad is the ammo n gun shortage by you?

I’ve been stocking up on the cheap brown box federal at Wally World just for some cheap plinking ammo for the kids. I’ve ordered some of the Norma Tac 22 ammo for a bit better accuracy. I should pick up a bit more of the Norma just for good measure. Tell us more about this top secret subsonic ammo your getting SD I don’t really use subsonic but wouldn’t mind having a little on hand.

I’ve been stocking up on the cheap brown box federal at Wally World just for some cheap plinking ammo for the kids. I’ve ordered some of the Norma Tac 22 ammo for a bit better accuracy. I should pick up a bit more of the Norma just for good measure. Tell us more about this top secret subsonic ammo your getting SD I don’t really use subsonic but wouldn’t mind having a little on hand.
I have a supressor on my Ruger 10/22. Finding a subsonic ammo that has the power to cycle the action without jamming and still maintain quiet has been tricky. There's plenty of subsonic ammo out there, but i've only found two that can shoot consistently out to 70 yards, stay quiet, and not jam.

I'll give you a couple hints, and if you figure it out, it's in your own best interests to not post it online. It's not CCI, and shoots faster than the 700 and 900 FPS rounds. The company that makes mine doesn't make very much of it, and when I was after it, they were out for a couple years, or at least I wasn't in the inner circle to get any.

I don't get it. Isn't all "standard velocity" 22lr ammo subsonic? The high velocity stuff is just barely supersonic.

The common NRL22 style precision 22 matches all use subsonic ammo because it's more accurate and there's lots of options out there but its not as cheap as high volume blaster ammo most people use. SK Standard+ is what shoots well for me and isn't crazy expensive like some of the lapua stuff.

I don't get it. Isn't all "standard velocity" 22lr ammo subsonic? The high velocity stuff is just barely supersonic.

The common NRL22 style precision 22 matches all use subsonic ammo because it's more accurate and there's lots of options out there but its not as cheap as high volume blaster ammo most people use. SK Standard+ is what shoots well for me and isn't crazy expensive like some of the lapua stuff.
Maybe I'm not using the correct words. Every standard .22 ammo I've shot cracks loudly. I've run hot rounds through my suppressor, and they still crack loudly. When I run the right subs through my supressor, the only noise heard is the action opening and closing, the bullet hitting the target, and the casing landing in the cat food bowl.

I saw as much ammo at Academy last week as I have ever seen. Even had some on clearance.

Now that stores have shelves packed full of ammo I wonder if there are still a bunch of backorders in place? Would be nice if prices came down a good chunk.

You notice the shelves got full and there were a couple of mass shootings this week? . Me suspects Uncle Joey will have something g to try for that one…

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Now that stores have shelves packed full of ammo I wonder if there are still a bunch of backorders in place? Would be nice if prices came down a good chunk.
It would seem to me....that there has been allot of $$$$ made by the ammo manufacturers in the past few years. There are exceptions....but prices for many things on the shelf are just nuts.

SD have you tried Norma Tac-22 ammo?
It’s listed velocity is 1083 just below supersonic speed.

SD have you tried Norma Tac-22 ammo?
It’s listed velocity is 1083 just below supersonic speed.
I haven't. I kept trying different rounds until I found one that cycled and grouped, and then I quit there. The ones I have now shoot 1040.

SD,

Have you tried CCI standard velocity? It's subsonic in my CZ ultra-lux. I had a remington 597 that had cycling issues. Actually, not sure IF I still won that gun or not. Might be in the safe. It worked well with standard velocity. CCI.

Might be able to swap out action springs for something lighter, or buy another spring and remove a turn or two ff the srping length. Can compress the spring and heat up one end to shorten it some too.

I prefer bolt action 22's. Part of making a good shot is mounting the gun. Im left handed, so I remove the gun from mount to cycle the bolt.

NY starting sept 13th is doing background checks for ammo purchases. charigng an extra $2.50. Had a hankering to start shooting trap again. Might stock up on 20ga.

I’m so sick of jumping through hoops, getting screwed, and then feeling lucky for it.

Is now a historically bad time to start reloading? I’ve always wanted to do it and am a little jealous of the guys who do. I’ve had a couple of reloading manuals on my iPad for years just to be able to read up on my stuff. I like the precision and data generation / interpretation aspects of it too.

I know the cost savings to roll your own aren’t there like they used to be and that’s not really a concern. Nor is buying the tools. But would I just be giving up one PIA in finding good retail ammo at almost any price, for another of not being able to find components at almost any price?

Should a person wait to take the dive into reloading, or get after it?

If yes, I’d start out loading .300 wsm because I have about 400 rounds of once fired brass. But also on the list would be .270 wsm, .308, 30-30, .44 mag, .45 colt, .357 magnum, and .223 maybe.

I’m so sick of jumping through hoops, getting screwed, and then feeling lucky for it.

Is now a historically bad time to start reloading? I’ve always wanted to do it and am a little jealous of the guys who do. I’ve had a couple of reloading manuals on my iPad for years just to be able to read up on my stuff. I like the precision and data generation / interpretation aspects of it too.

I know the cost savings to roll your own aren’t there like they used to be and that’s not really a concern. Nor is buying the tools. But would I just be giving up one PIA in finding good retail ammo at almost any price, for another of not being able to find components at almost any price?

Should a person wait to take the dive into reloading, or get after it?

If yes, I’d start out loading .300 wsm because I have about 400 rounds of once fired brass. But also on the list would be .270 wsm, .308, 30-30, .44 mag, .45 colt, .357 magnum, and .223 maybe.
I believe that in becoming a hand-loader you learn so much more about firearms and ballistics that it is worth your time. It's a great hobby and you will likely become a much better shooter and more knowledgeable for sure. I doubt you will save allot of money....but you will shoot more for a similar amount of money you spend. Hand-loading is a fascinating process and if you enjoy shooting you would be well served to wander down this path.

I started reloading to save some money on extensive prairie dog shoots I went on several times each year.....and because I wanted to be a better shooter. It was a great experience for me.

If you can find a guy that is getting old and wants to sell his equipment....you may find a better deal than buying all new stuff. Then again a good reloading kit does not have to be overly expensive to buy. Then come all the accessories.....lol. I recently gave most of my stuff to my family.....but still retain enough gear to be able to assemble some rounds. Good luck.

I do enjoy reloading much more so when I first began but I still do enjoy it although sometimes it’s just get out in the reloading room and get the bullets I need loaded up much less of the agonizing over every conceivable step in the process. I just need some bullets loaded but the agonizing is part of the process when you jump down the rabbit hole. As Foggy said if you could stumble across someone getting out of the hobby and buy them out would be a good way to go. Really the only component that’s still a little more challenging to get anymore is large rifle primers. That being the case I ordered small rifle primer 6.5 Creedmoor brass instead of the standard large rifle primer. I believe you can also get 308 in SR brass from Lapua. It’s a fun and rewarding hobby it does generally mean you shoot more because your fiddling with your reloading process at least for a while.

MAddog,

You can start reloading. Guns n ammo aren't getting easier by the year....... I did it, but shoot less now and not very far. So, I sold my setup. Think about your goals and your future. A basic lee setup will reload just fine. Some guys like precision more, the RCBS kit has a beter scale. Some like production better. Still start off with a single press, but buy stuff that will relate to an autloader, or have a production line setup, do one action alot. The powder measure part can slow you down. All what you want to do.

Feel for the obscure cartridge folks. I sold my oddball marlin lever gun collection and stick with popular rounds. Ammo and components easier to find.

Dont stop shooting if you cant find your hunting runds. Getting good with 22lr goes a long way towards good results in the field.

I would stock up now while ammo is at least available if the clown and chief drags us into WWIII then ammo will become next to impossible to get

I have a supressor on my Ruger 10/22. Finding a subsonic ammo that has the power to cycle the action without jamming and still maintain quiet has been tricky. There's plenty of subsonic ammo out there, but i've only found two that can shoot consistently out to 70 yards, stay quiet, and not jam.

I'll give you a couple hints, and if you figure it out, it's in your own best interests to not post it online. It's not CCI, and shoots faster than the 700 and 900 FPS rounds. The company that makes mine doesn't make very much of it, and when I was after it, they were out for a couple years, or at least I wasn't in the inner circle to get any.
SD I tried some of the Norma Tac-22 in a 10/22 I would highly recommend trying some for your application I think you will like it.

Still do not see any 25-06 ammo on the shelves here. If anyone sees some on the shelves......please respond. I have a few rounds......and I suppose I could reload some.....but do not own dies or bullets for this caliber. Too lazy and cheap to invest in more gear......when a few boxes of cartridges is all I need.
Saw some at either fleet farm or runnings in Waite Park/St Cloud the other day. Can't remember which though. One had .25-06 and the other had 7mm-08.

Saw some at either fleet farm or runnings in Waite Park/St Cloud the other day. Can't remember which though. One had .25-06 and the other had 7mm-08.
I did finally pick up two boxes of Hornady 25-06 cartridges the other day at Fleet Farm. Also found a box of 280 Remington.....and added that to my cart. Enough to last me a while.