How bad is the ammo n gun shortage by you?

We are finally starting to see ammo on the shelves here in NY. Problem is, as of September 15th we now have to pass a background check when buying ammo, feels infringing…

I would not live in one of the commie states of America
I’m too invested to leave before I retire in 7 years bud. NY sucks, and I can prove it.
About 6 months ago I won a Turkey gun for 2nd place in a local gun club raffle. Filling out the background check paperwork I notice there is now a non-binary box next to Male and Female. It also had 3 different questions asking me if I’m an illegal alien. I ask the guy and he says he’s actually LEGALLY sold illegals guns. Odd but ok.
So the background check goes 30 days and “times out with no response from them” he says he will resubmit it. It goes another 30 days and “times out with no response”. The gun shop guy tells me that I should register with something new called UPIN which stands for Unique Physician Identification Number. I told him to pound salt and give me the gun. He says he can’t.

My record is 100% clean, I’m 51 years young today and the only time I was ever arrested was getting into a fight when I was 22 yo and I failed to appear for a noise violation ticket because I had moved to Colorado back when I was 19.

They know I own guns, they know I hunt every year and they have no problem with the guns they know I have, they just don’t want me buying more guns or any ammo. And how in tf does an illegal alien pass a background check but no response for me?!?

IMG_5476.jpeg

Send me your address and Venmo username. I will mail you all the ammo you want!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Went to sportsmen warehouse in willmington NC. Stuff was pretty full. Local mom-n-pop hunt / fish place near topsail had plenty of ammo too.

Went to sportsmen warehouse in willmington NC. Stuff was pretty full. Local mom-n-pop hunt / fish place near topsail had plenty of ammo too.
You live in NY right?

Do you know as of mid September we now have to pass a background check and pay an extra tax to buy ammo here in NY?!?

IMG_8513.png

Are we banned from buying out of state?

Unless they ban the use of lead ammo in the stte all together. I am set for life and then some. Before the sign-in sheet rule last year, kept buying 22lr and topped off my centerfire boxes.

I ay need 22lr when Im 70. Could easily shoot a box of ammo with each gun a year and be good for decades. I use muzzleloaders and 22lr for target shooting. centerfire rifles barely get used. Got plenty of of lead to melt. And I shoot 1/2 of my 22lr into a sandpit to recycle into roundball or fishing lures. Even make my own bucktail jigs.

Maybe NY should pass a law that background checks should be done on your politicians.

Maybe NY should pass a law that background checks should be done on your politicians.
Half of them would probably fail a really deep dive. If they gave IQ tests, about 95% would fail. If they gave them a common sense test, the other 5% would roll downhill. 😂

Ammo may be getting in short supply again?? Lots of rumors about ammo becoming short supply again due to (1) Winchester not supplying civilian markets.....and (2) recent explosion at Hornady plant.....and (3) war in Israel. Not sure how much these events affect production....but it could be substantial. I've seen that up to 1/3rd of 223 production could be lost?

We send tens or hundreds of millions of rounds of taxpayer funded ammo all over the world for FREE. But I couldn’t find a single box of .300 wsm to BUY between Wisconsin and Utah 4 weeks ago?

Who makes all of the ammo for our military? Is that where all of the materials for components are getting used these days? (Brass, lead, primers….etc)

I’ll tell you this, I’m DONE buying anything other than the most common calibers in hunting rifles from now on.

Just bought a couple boxes of 180 grain Hornady 10 mm jhp’s at a farm and fleet yesterday. Seems like those shelves have been pretty well stocked for awhile now.

Ammo may be getting in short supply again?? Lots of rumors about ammo becoming short supply again due to (1) Winchester not supplying civilian markets.....and (2) recent explosion at Hornady plant.....and (3) war in Israel. Not sure how much these events affect production....but it could be substantial. I've seen that up to 1/3rd of 223 production could be lost?

Attempt at Optimistic outlook - The Lake City plant is Owned by the government (operated by winchester/olin) only makes the cheap mil style ammo like x193/x855 5.56, some 7.62, and 9mm for the civilian market when they have additional capacity. They dont make hunting/sporting/match ammo. That stuff has been full on shelves for a long time. IMI (Isreali) sells similar stuff. This is the cheap AR ammo that seems to first get stockpiled when people get worried. Hopefully people have enough of that crap already, i know I do. I dont think all the federal (American Eagle) and hornady (frontier) stuff is made at lake City.

Also, optimistic that the impact at hornady doesn't extend much beyond their primer manufacturing (which I didn't even know they did and read they are a tiny player in).

I think that all the ammo companies are doing business with the Federal Government. Also, these companies sell ammo to other foreign governments too. I once asked Federal's Sales Manager about this.....and he told me they sold to several governments by getting authorization from our State Department.

I think Hornady started selling government institutions about 10 years ago.....beginning with handgun ammo for the FBI (?). It sounds like they have been making primers for several years now (beginning with 17 HMR rimfire priming.....from what I gathered reading some different forums). Also they now make their own brass. Two big steps forward for them with these things done in house.

I'm not sure how much long-term effect this explosion will have for them. I'm gathering the explosion happened in a primer compounding facility. I think primers are the most dangerous aspect of ammo making.

Don't think it adds anything, there was also some upheaval at Clarus. A couple of execs walked away along with the CEO shared between Barnes and Sierra. Followed by a private bid to buy both companies, havnt heard anything more at work recently. As someone who runs bullet presses for a living, I don't need more job security.

Don't think it adds anything, there was also some upheaval at Clarus. A couple of execs walked away along with the CEO shared between Barnes and Sierra. Followed by a private bid to buy both companies, havnt heard anything more at work recently. As someone who runs bullet presses for a living, I don't need more job security.
^ I "assume" you work at the Sierra plant? If so, do you know Rich Macholtz? (sp) I gotta assume he retired long ago....but made a visit to that plant some years ago.....and would visit Rich at different trade shows and events. Still got some 22 caliber bullets he pawned off on me. (wow....that was over 30 years ago...lol)

^ I "assume" you work at the Sierra plant? If so, do you know Rich Macholtz? (sp) I gotta assume he retired long ago....but made a visit to that plant some years ago.....and would visit Rich at different trade shows and events. Still got some 22 caliber bullets he pawned off on me. (wow....that was over 30 years ago...lol)
I do Foggy... I asked around about Rich, seems like he left 4-5 years ago, around the time Clarus took over. Ive only been here a few years...they do give us a lot of free bullets...

Last edited:
I do foggy... I asked around about Rich, seems like he left 4-5 years ago, around the time Clarus took over. Ive only been here a few years...they do give us a lot of free bullets...
“Free bullets”🥹

“Free bullets”🥹
They give us fifteen pounds from the factory outlet every quarter, they are seconds. May be something minor like a scratch or something more major like weight out of spec.

They give us fifteen pounds from the factory outlet every quarter, they are seconds. May be something minor like a scratch or something more major like weight out of spec.
I remember the bullets I got from Rich.....and those were seconds too. I think there was a bit too much lead so the tips had a minor excess tit protruding out. He said to just trim that off (nail clippers) and they would shoot like new. Still have all of those bullets.

I beleive Rich and I shot some Prairie Dog's together at the Varmint Hunters Jamboree in Pierre S.D. That was a big event back in the day......now I think the Varmint Hunter's organization is defunct.