How bad is the ammo n gun shortage by you?

Wow, this thread is still alive.

Been a year since I've really even looked for ammo. It seems the shelves are full at sir-wallace world.

See folks got a few extra round in the future. Try to store it a bit better. Over time oxygen does get into the powder and degrades the velocity. I put al mine in 50 cal tins, a litle silicone grease on the gasket, and a bit of dessicant in an envelope.

Reloading can be necesary for some. Some guns seem to shoot everything ok or well. Some guns are just velocity picky, or need some extra throat. 250 yards is the limit of what I shoot, so don't really need anything fancy. My practice goes to shooting offhand better and faster.

The ammo shelves at stores are full these days. Reloading components not so much but getting better. For the prices they command now, I'm hoping the trend keeps moving that direction until people are all hoarded out. Times are still pretty bleak for certain cartridges, 300WSM is one that has been dismal where as a few years ago availability/price rivaled 300wm.

I think the WSM cartridges maybe difficult to obtain moving forward because so few rifles where even ever sold they where a short lived flavor of the month fad if/when a major manufacturer produces loaded ammo for them again I’d stock up and defiantly save your brass.

I think the WSM cartridges maybe difficult to obtain moving forward because so few rifles where even ever sold they where a short lived flavor of the month fad if/when a major manufacturer produces loaded ammo for them again I’d stock up and defiantly save your brass.

It just feels like quite a few 270 and 300 WSMs were sold though. 270 WSM has the new 6.8 Western stealing some thunder but there is still nothing else really in the 300wsm class out there. A few years ago it felt like new 300WSM rifles were selling just as well as the win mags. They were hyped for a solid 20 years.

Maybe the efficiencies of just focusing on the most common cartridges really shined through with the ammo crunch and the makers are going to have a harder time convincing themselves with small runs of less common options now?

Regardless, If I had to use factory ammo only I don't think I'd want a magnum of any sort now days. Ammo costs are nuts.

I think they where pretty popular for a period but in the big scheme of things there are very few in circulation compared to other calibers and when manufactures sell out of way more commonly owned calibers there is little incentive to produce the niche market ammo. Wait until the ammo sales of 30-06 slows down and gets caught up and the WSM ammo will start to hit the shelves again.

I just paid over $90 per box per box for 4 boxes of Nosler Trophy Grade .300WSM (180 gr Accubond). How can that be real?

Still do not see any 25-06 ammo on the shelves here. If anyone sees some on the shelves......please respond. I have a few rounds......and I suppose I could reload some.....but do not own dies or bullets for this caliber. Too lazy and cheap to invest in more gear......when a few boxes of cartridges is all I need.

Update, I needed another 40 rounds of .300WSM and had to order them from Sportsman’s warehouse for $107 per box. WTAF.

Foggy, you might find 25-06 from Berger. Its ‘semi- custom’ ammo, but a guy at my range was shooting 300 RUM from them last week and he said it was cheaper than hi end ‘bulk’ ammo……like my Nosler Trophy grade. It’s second to none as far as quality, I hear, and seems to be fairly available in some of the less popular calibers.

No personal experience with it myself. Good luck.

Update, I needed another 40 rounds of .300WSM and had to order them from Sportsman’s warehouse for $107 per box. WTAF.

Foggy, you might find 25-06 from Berger. Its ‘semi- custom’ ammo, but a guy at my range was shooting 300 RUM from them last week and he said it was cheaper than hi end ‘bulk’ ammo……like my Nosler Trophy grade. It’s second to none as far as quality, I hear, and seems to be fairly available in some of the less popular calibers.

No personal experience with it myself. Good luck.

Berger is pretty limited in what cartridges they load but it is top shelf stuff! Looks like they just load the creedmoors, PRCs, 308, 300wm, and 338LM now. I was very impressed with the 300wm ammo i had from them, have some 6 creedmoor now that I need to try out. I know they used to load 300 NM and 223 as well. Prices aren't bad for what you get. They always use lapua brass so its a good option to buy and break in a barrel and then reuse the brass.

Still do not see any 25-06 ammo on the shelves here. If anyone sees some on the shelves......please respond. I have a few rounds......and I suppose I could reload some.....but do not own dies or bullets for this caliber. Too lazy and cheap to invest in more gear......when a few boxes of cartridges is all I need.

Foggy, there are several places showing various 25-06 loads in stock on Ammoseek. You might find something there:

Maybe it’s just me but I spent quite a bit of time on ammo seek and a few other online ammo places looking for .300 wsm. I can’t tell you the number of times it showed IN STOCK with a reasonable price on the site, but led me to a seller who didn’t actually have it.

Foggy, there are several places showing various 25-06 loads in stock on Ammoseek. You might find something there:
Thanks for the tip. Never have used the site. May try it on. Will spend some time there tonight. Only had minor experiences with Gun Broker.

What ammo in particular are you looking for? I cover 300 mile territory at work I maybe can score what your wanting.

Been wanting a long range gun again. I've been hunting with a 450 marlin, a 50 cal muzzie, and a 45 and 54 cal flintlock for years. Letting too many good bucks go at 250 yards where there is a dip in the cormfield I hunt at.

Been seeing FMJ 308, higher end 308 ammo, some 30-06 rem cor-lokt for $$%%^ $50 DOLLARS! Can reguarly get 12ga basic trap loads, 20ga is becoming common, 22lr ammo if your not picky, almost all common handgun calibers. Neighbor plow my driveway, gave him 250rd pack of blazer 9mm was $99. Seeing oddbal stuff like 6mm creedmore, 25-06, 300wsm, 350 legend.

Been buying 308 ammo, son-in-law is into tactidoodle guns. So, since it's only 250 yards and a million calibers can do that, why not get the same caliber he has? 250 can be done with 450 marlin, but the practice is expensive and painful..... I literally shoot 4 rounds a year if that. Check the zero of the gun, which never wanders, and maybe one on good old bambi.

Now the gun..... All fancy high end sniper tactidoodle guns are available in 308. Just want a savage 11 or basic browning x-bolt. No axis, no ruger american, no basic guns. There's 6.5 creedmore savage axis guns all around, not one bullet here in NY. And kinda wierd, just about no wood guns, all plastic.....

Not one ounce of trouble getting what I need for my flintlock addiction though...... I'm big into 22lr target guns, plenty of CCI standard velocity around. My CZ loves that.
If you go with Savage and you want a wood stock and new , the 110 Classic is your only option. All my bolt actions are Savage's , but the Henry Long Ranger lever gun in .308 looks interesting and could possibly work for you.

I used to buy at least one new gun each year. The last gun I bought was a Henry single shot in 308 a few years ago. Now that the factory fixed the triggers on these they are great guns......and a single shot is just fine for hunting out of our blinds. I do like that little Henry. Ammo has remained quite plentiful for the 308 Win. so I have used that somewhat more than some other guns I have.

I did find some 280 Remington loads the other day....and I think I will like them over the stuff I have on the shelf for 280. Same for the 25/06 as I picked up a few boxes of some Hornady loads the other day.....as it's the first ammo in those calibers I've seen in a few years. Not too sure how good these last loads will shoot......but I plan to find out pretty soon.

At least I have options to take me to all reasonable deer ranges with several guns......and I have lots of varmint rounds and 22 LR to last me thru my years. Seems we are on the "good side" of the ammo shortage for now (except for crazy prices)!! and I would stock up for a few years or more at this point. Never have I experienced the Ammo issues we have in our country like we did in the past few years.

Tho....during WWII it was quite difficult to get ammo.....as my Dad has said. I know he really loaded up on ammo right after the war when it was cheap.....and we had lots of shot-shells through my teens and into my twenties. I still have some of that ammo....lol.

Yes I agree on stocking up I’ve never seen it quite like it’s been the last few years.

I had to do a little surfing to find plain 12 gauge slugs for bear hunting. Those have really gone up in price lately.

I did pick up more of my top secret subsonic .22 rounds a couple weeks back too. Should be sitting good on ammo again.

I have been slowly using up my handgun ammo supply, and some rifle ammo. I should start restocking them before the next election. God forbid Biden may just end up with 400 million votes between the hours of 2am and 6 am.