.257 Roberts vs .243 Winchester

Natty Bumppo

5 year old buck +
Hey guys....think I already know the answer to this, but wanted to get your input. Looking to pick up an early 80's or late 70's Ruger 77 with the tang safety and the fit it with a vintage Leupold scope of the same year. I like older stuff. I also like things that are a little different from the rest. End use is deer hunting and some occasional coyote hunting.

I have always been a fan of the .257 Roberts, and would love to choose this one. Just not sure if this is the right decision. I am not a reloader. Looks like finding .257 Roberts ammo is getting tougher and tougher. Ballistically it looks like the .243 performs slightly better. And I am assuming there are more options for .243 ammo out there for what I want to do.

My brain says .243. My heart says .257 Roberts. My wallet says you can only buy one....for now.

Any thoughts.

Thanks.

Unfortunately I'm a handloader so when I tell you my choice, .257, it's not helping you much.

You could always save up your paper route money and start stuffing your own ammo. I find it rewarding and satisfying.

Unfortunately I'm a handloader so when I tell you my choice, .257, it's not helping you much.

You could always save up your paper route money and start stuffing your own ammo. I find it rewarding and satisfying.
If you’re not hand loading, 243 is the choice.

Thanks guys. Yeah....I was afraid of that.

As an outdoorsman, there are a couple things I have never gotten into...hand loading and ice fishing are two. The latter I have almost no interest in. But the former I think I would enjoy. I think I am always intimidated by the process having never done it. Is this something you can teach yourself via books and Youtube? I would certainly be up for learning something new, especially if it allowed me to pick up the .257 Roberts and feel better about my options for ammo.

Last edited:

As an outdoorsman, there are a couple things I have never gotten into...hand loading and ice fishing are two. The latter I have almost no interest in. But the former I think I would enjoy. I think I am always intimidated by the process having never done it. Is this something you can teach yourself via books and Youtube? I would certainly be up for learning something knew, especially if it allowed me to pick up the .257 Roberts and feel better about my options for ammo.
You can learn from reloading manuals. I'd be careful with Youtube. Typical disclaimer on tube nuts.

It's not cheap to get started unless you buy used, and be careful of that too. I don't think I'd buy a used scale and I'd be cautious of used dies. Otherwise presses, tumblers and trimmers can be bought used. And you don't need to get fancy right out of the gate. I loaded tons of .357 mag with a Lee Challenger press and powder measure.

As an outdoorsman, there are a couple things I have never gotten into...hand loading and ice fishing are two. The latter I have almost no interest in. But the former I think I would enjoy. I think I am always intimidated by the process having never done it. Is this something you can teach yourself via books and Youtube? I would certainly be up for learning something new, especially if it allowed me to pick up the .257 Roberts and feel better about my options for ammo.

It's not that complicated. You can learn it quite easily from the internet. The equipment doesn't even have to be that expensive.

You can learn from reloading manuals. I'd be careful with Youtube. Typical disclaimer on tube nuts.

It's not cheap to get started unless you buy used, and be careful of that too. I don't think I'd buy a used scale and I'd be cautious of used dies. Otherwise presses, tumblers and trimmers can be bought used. And you don't need to get fancy right out of the gate. I loaded tons of .357 mag with a Lee Challenger press and powder measure.

Thanks Jerry B. Appreciate you taking the time to respond.

It's not that complicated. You can learn it quite easily from the internet. The equipment doesn't even have to be that expensive.

Thanks Telemark. Appreciate it.

How are you on free time. The problem with reloading is, you didn't reload ammo, but want to shoot, but dont want to shoot factory ammo now you got a handload and a bunch of money in reloading stuff......

Got hung up there for a few years. I just buy common caliber guns now. 308,30-30,22lr etc. Mostly just shoot 22lr and roundball at the range

One of the scope makers was making classic looking scopes again Forgot whch one, maybe redfield.

I'd be torn there too. Vermont is likely alot better than NY gun laws. Rare calibers are hard to find locally, you need to order. The other issue if the gun is ammo fussy, you run out of options quick. Luckily my 450 marlin lovers 325gr flex tip hornadys. I went to about 6 or 7 stores looking for 450 marlin ammo and gave up. But, I still got plenty.

I have a general rule, I only buy a gun if I can afford/find a 50 cal tin full of ammo for it. Been awhile since I opened a new 50 cal tin of centerfire ammo, but I think it's 16 boxes. 14 standing up and 2 boxes loose ontop.

NY was throwing around microstamping bullets. Some gun manufacturers would comply, but uncommon ammo would be impossible likely. Also, NY imposed a no lead ammo on state lands, that would be real tough for 257 roberts. I picked up non lead 308, 30-30, and 54 cal roundball. Just a box or two. Usually hunt private land.

Thanks Telemark. Appreciate it.

No problem.

There is a minimum of equipment you need. You need a press, a set of dies, a good scale, a funnel, a manual, a primer pocket reamer, and one of those chamfer tools. Probably a couple other things. You don't actually need one of those powder hoppers. I always used a scoop and my own fingers. Oh, and you need a caliper/micrometer, or whatever they call it. From there, just take your time and go through the process. You'll get used to it eventually. Then you can start tweaking loads. I think it will end up saving you money, based on the cost of ammo these days. From then on, all you need is a new set of dies for each type of ammo you want to load. It can get pretty addicting, especially if you have shitty winters with little else to do.

How are you on free time. The problem with reloading is, you didn't reload ammo, but want to shoot, but dont want to shoot factory ammo now you got a handload and a bunch of money in reloading stuff......

Got hung up there for a few years. I just buy common caliber guns now. 308,30-30,22lr etc. Mostly just shoot 22lr and roundball at the range

One of the scope makers was making classic looking scopes again Forgot whch one, maybe redfield.

I'd be torn there too. Vermont is likely alot better than NY gun laws. Rare calibers are hard to find locally, you need to order. The other issue if the gun is ammo fussy, you run out of options quick. Luckily my 450 marlin lovers 325gr flex tip hornadys. I went to about 6 or 7 stores looking for 450 marlin ammo and gave up. But, I still got plenty.

I have a general rule, I only buy a gun if I can afford/find a 50 cal tin full of ammo for it. Been awhile since I opened a new 50 cal tin of centerfire ammo, but I think it's 16 boxes. 14 standing up and 2 boxes loose ontop.

NY was throwing around microstamping bullets. Some gun manufacturers would comply, but uncommon ammo would be impossible likely. Also, NY imposed a no lead ammo on state lands, that would be real tough for 257 roberts. I picked up non lead 308, 30-30, and 54 cal roundball. Just a box or two. Usually hunt private land.

Thanks for taking the time to respond. I appreciate it.

Time is one thing I have plenty of. I am a high school teacher and am home every day by 2:20 or so. I have no big commitments in the evenings. Lots of time to get into fun projects.

I look for very nice vintage Leupold scopes on Ebay.

You make great points that are worthy of consideration. Going to give it plenty of thought before I pull the trigger.

No problem.

There is a minimum of equipment you need. You need a press, a set of dies, a good scale, a funnel, a manual, a primer pocket reamer, and one of those chamfer tools. Probably a couple other things. You don't actually need one of those powder hoppers. I always used a scoop and my own fingers. Oh, and you need a caliper/micrometer, or whatever they call it. From there, just take your time and go through the process. You'll get used to it eventually. Then you can start tweaking loads. I think it will end up saving you money, based on the cost of ammo these days. From then on, all you need is a new set of dies for each type of ammo you want to load. It can get pretty addicting, especially if you have shitty winters with little else to do.

I can see where it would be very rewarding and a nice way to spend time during the long winters...which we absolutely do have here.

Hey, while I've got you. Always been curious about your user name "Telemark". Are you from Norway? Do you telemark ski? I've been skiing telemark for about 30 years now...love it. Hoping my knees hold out for at least another decade. Was at a mountain last week that had a professional photographer snapping pics....this one came out pretty good!

IMG_7954 (1).JPG

I can see where it would be very rewarding and a nice way to spend time during the long winters...which we absolutely do have here.

Hey, while I've got you. Always been curious about your user name "Telemark". Are you from Norway? Do you telemark ski? I've been skiing telemark for about 30 years now...love it. Hoping my knees hold out for at least another decade. Was at a mountain last week that had a professional photographer snapping pics....this one came out pretty good!

View attachment 62666

Hey, nice!

I'm from Ohio. I just live in Norway. I do Telemark ski, but I'm not good at it. I recently bought a wetsuit and a spear gun, so I spend more time in the sea than on the slopes these days. The government closed ptarmigan hunting in most of the country due to low population numbers (caused by overpopulation of foxes), so I basically quit bird hunting until it's sorted out. I'm trying to train up to go after big halibut in northern Norway. I can free dive about 15 meters currently, but I probably need to be able to do 25 meters before I can go after halibut.

When the upland bird numbers come back up I will get back out into the mountains. Might be this coming winter, might be a few years. Hard to say.

Being from Ohio, none of this comes easy. Reloading was a pastime I enjoyed in Ohio, as the winters were truly boring there. I was never much of a bowhunter, since the spot I hunted was over two hours away from home and university.

I'm actually really looking forward to getting back out in the winter with a shotgun and my dog. If a telemarking trip in Norway is not an option, I might drive over to Sweden and go after capercaillie on some back country skis. Small game hunting on skis is probably the best way to spend the winter, but it's hard to find good opportunities for decent prices.

Hey, nice!

I'm from Ohio. I just live in Norway. I do Telemark ski, but I'm not good at it. I recently bought a wetsuit and a spear gun, so I spend more time in the sea than on the slopes these days. The government closed ptarmigan hunting in most of the country due to low population numbers (caused by overpopulation of foxes), so I basically quit bird hunting until it's sorted out. I'm trying to train up to go after big halibut in northern Norway. I can free dive about 15 meters currently, but I probably need to be able to do 25 meters before I can go after halibut.

When the upland bird numbers come back up I will get back out into the mountains. Might be this coming winter, might be a few years. Hard to say.

Being from Ohio, none of this comes easy. Reloading was a pastime I enjoyed in Ohio, as the winters were truly boring there. I was never much of a bowhunter, since the spot I hunted was over two hours away from home and university.

I'm actually really looking forward to getting back out in the winter with a shotgun and my dog. If a telemarking trip in Norway is not an option, I might drive over to Sweden and go after capercaillie on some back country skis. Small game hunting on skis is probably the best way to spend the winter, but it's hard to find good opportunities for decent prices.

Oh wow. That's great. The ocean freaks me out! Don't think I'd like the free diving thing. Capercaillie hunting on skis sounds more like something I'd be into. What a great opportunity.

Thanks again for the advice and encouragement on hand loading. Been doing some research and watching videos. I think I am going to go for the .257 Roberts.

I have a 243 that shoots lights out for an off the rack rifle. I reloaded some bergers that shoot well as well as some Hornady SST's that do the same.

Problem is, now I want a quarter bore too. I'm looking for a 25-06. But I am already in the reloading game if I need to be.

Hey, nice!

No idea our board was international!

Baker hunts a lot in Mexico. And I'm sure there is at least one other guy here who hunts in Canada.
I've hunted newfoundland a few times.

I've hunted newfoundland a few times.

I'm dying to hunt in Newfoundland. The scenery is spectacular. The North Atlantic is my favorite region geographically. It's relatively cheap to hunt with or without a guide in Iceland and Norway. But my god, the Canadians are making it more and more expensive to hunt there, and simultaneously reducing the DIY options.

Well, I ended up going with a VERY nice Ruger M77 in .257 Roberts with the tang safety. It was made in 1981. Going to fit it with a vintage Leupold 2x7 Vari-X II.

Excited to learn about hand loading.

Ruger.jpg