A gun to fill in the gaps...

roymunson

5 year old buck +
Looking to add a gun to the stable. I have a gift card to the gun shop that's burning a hole in my pocket and would like to find a gun that fills a caliber void I've got.

So I have my varmint guns in 223 and a 243 Win, I have a 7 mag and a 300 WSM, but Would like something in between that 243 and the 7RM. I know people love the 6.5, and maybe I would, but it's so popular, that I kind of want something against the grain. I like classic rounds too.
Something for deer hunting where I'm allowed to use a rifle, pronghorn, perhaps a kid could tote it too.

I'm thinking 270 WIN or I've always had a weird irrational facination with 25-06. Both would fit that bill, but the 25-06 would be pretty cool. I can reload, so ammo isn't a big deal.

OR

I go spend the money and get on my way into a good Browning Maxus II. I don't have a good shotgun, not that I use them all that much, but still...

Oh the dilemma... The white people problems of it all...

I have two 270 s. I would sell.

I loved my 25-06, and it would drop whitetail in their tracks with Remington Core-Lokt ammo. But the cartridge has limitations if you ever want to go long range with factory ammo. The 6.5 Creedmoor or 6.5 PRC can give you 1000+ yard capabilities with factory ammo (Hornady ELD-X or ELD-M), and without much recoil. Its so satisfying hearing long range steel targets ring! 6.5 is popular for a reason.

I have hunted with an old .270 for over 20 years. Killed deer and elk both with it. I would say I am comfortable with mine out to a max of 300 yards, but realistically anything 200 and in is dead where it stands.

I have two 270 s. I would sell.
But you probably won't take payment in the form of a gift card to my local shop...

I like the old school of the 25-06. And generally, despise the 6.5 creedmoor crowd's irrational love of the gun. Enough so to buy something else. Thought about a 7mm-08 as well, but that 25-06 is what I keep going back to.

.270 wsm is a great caliber. It has more knock down power than the .243, but without the kick of the 7mm or .300 wsm.

.270 wsm is a great caliber. It has more knock down power than the .243, but without the kick of the 7mm or .300 wsm.
I am kicking myself bigtime for not buying a .270wsm when I had the chance. I do not have a use for it but would still like one in a wichester 70 featherweight

I've shot my brother's Browning .270 wsm quite a bit and it is a really nice gun and caliber. It is a great choice for medium sized animals like antelope and deer and the recoil is pretty mild.

Ypu reload? Thought i saw a post you did.

270 win or 308. A good reason theyve survived for so long.

130gr 270 is low recoil, as long as the gun has some weight. Like 7 pounds.

6 5 creedmore would be ok too.

Been happy with every browning i owned.

Depending where you hunt, straight walled cartridge might be good for muzzleloading or shotgun areas.

I am a big muzzlwloading fan. Cant have too many.

I've shot my brother's Browning .270 wsm quite a bit and it is a really nice gun and caliber. It is a great choice for medium sized animals like antelope and deer and the recoil is pretty mild.
It'll probably be used by my sons some too. They're growing up, but not ready for a full recoil hammer yet. a 270 wsm with a muzzle brake would probably be ok in the recoil dept.
They can already handle the 243 out to distance...

What is the caliber difference between a 6.5 and 270 ?

One is a 6.5 one is a 6.8 mm

I kind of want something against the grain. I like classic rounds too.
Something for deer hunting where I'm allowed to use a rifle, pronghorn, perhaps a kid could tote it too.

I can reload, so ammo isn't a big deal.

Based on these 3...against the grain...love of classic rounds...and your ability to reload....I might suggest .257 Roberts. A venerable old round that has ballistics very similar to .25-06. Great for anything smaller than elk, and really mild recoil, so great for kids.

Looking to add a gun to the stable. I have a gift card to the gun shop that's burning a hole in my pocket and would like to find a gun that fills a caliber void I've got.

So I have my varmint guns in 223 and a 243 Win, I have a 7 mag and a 300 WSM, but Would like something in between that 243 and the 7RM. I know people love the 6.5, and maybe I would, but it's so popular, that I kind of want something against the grain. I like classic rounds too.

I'm thinking 270 WIN or I've always had a weird irrational facination with 25-06. Both would fit that bill, but the 25-06 would be pretty cool. I can reload, so ammo isn't a big deal.

OR

I go spend the money and get on my way into a good Browning Maxus II. I don't have a good shotgun, not that I use them all that much, but still...

Oh the dilemma... The white people problems of it all...
I'd go Benelli SBE3 if you're going the shotgun route. This coming from a former Browning Maxus owner.

for your nitch a 7mm-08 would be pretty groovy

Now i'm in system overload...