A gun to fill in the gaps...

"So the 284 needs to be a “ long action “ to preform. I believe the 6.5 x 55 is similar?"
Yes, correct.

Then again, that's kind of a long way around to just buying a .270!😄

Or a 280!

like I first posted I have a .270 BAR in hot pink/ black boyds stock that is perhaps a .5 MOA shooter.

Perfect youth stand hunting firearm, I would sell.

I am convinced I don’t like my 7/08 as much as the 308 and 284 and the 270 etc etc is it’s a straight grip ( Texan). Nothing to do with the cartridge. I need to sell it.

Last edited:
I didn’t read the whole thread, but make sure @Wind Gypsy Chimes in, he is a firearms expert

I would get either a 6.5PRC or 30/06. Both have plenty of ammo and options, and both will be here into the future. Great shooting cartridges. These are the two that I pull out of my safe most often.

6.5 PRC can push a 130gr pill 3000fps, or 140gr 2900. I use terminal ascent ammo which is lethal at 60 yards or 600. With supressor or muzzle brake or kicks about like a 223.

I’m using 170gr terminal ascent in my 30/06. Measured it a 2606fps out of a 20.5” barrel yesterday. That’s deer (or elk or whatever) medicine.

Whatever you get I would recommend a 20” barrel. So so much better for hunting and handling. Another reason to consider a high velocity cartridge like 6.5prc. Can get great speed from a short barrel.

I tend to look at cartridge choice from an economic or performance basis and don't hold much reverence for classic, uniqueness, or public perception aspects. It's all just brass, powder, primers, and bullets just in different shapes.

My current darling is 6mm creedmoor in a short barrel/suppressed platform. Recoils like a kitten, i watch impacts @200 yards through the scope. Flatter and lower recoiling than a 6.5 creedmoor. Has high end brass (Lapua, Alpha, Peterson, ADG) available. It can be redundant with 243 but they come standard with 8 or faster twist and come factory loaded with 105, 107, 108, and 112 grain pills with much higher BC than any 243 factory options. I intend to use it for everything maybe even up to Elk. Just sold my custom 6.5 SAUM, Custom 7 SAUM is for sale, and a custom 300 WM is about to get listed as well. I have hardly handloaded for it because there is always good shooting factory ammo available online for less than $30/box. Trying to spend more time shooting and less at load bench. Bought 300 more rounds of this sig ammo this morning because it shoots awesome. https://www.opticsplanet.com/sig-sa...CM2-20&avad=74383_c35709b75&utm_website=74383

25/06 is a MPBR laser that wont slug a guy too hard. 6.5 PRC will get you a bit more recoil, better wind deflection, little more drop at typical ranges.

260 rem is a good cartridge if you want something that is less available and requires more brass trimming to get the same performance as 6.5 creed. Good luck finding one on the local shelves. 7mm08 is a nice cartridge as well with similar performance but i dont see an upside over 6.5 creed other than some people just dont want to say they have a 6.5. Edit to add: 6.5x55 can be cool, hand loaded will outperform creed and 260 by a bit.

Last edited:
I think differently about a youth firearm.

My question is are you buying it for the youth? Or are you buying it for long range work for your self when junior grows up?

If it’s truly a youth firearm that is being used in eastern white tail woods. I would propose a Henry single shot in 44 rem mag. Economy, iron sights, scopeablity, safety ( both in action type and ballistics) low recoil, and you can eat right up to the hole. Which will be BIG!

If you want a long range cartridge look at the 6.5-300 Weatherby. I think it shoots point blank at 350 yards.

Looking to add a gun to the stable. I have a gift card to the gun shop that's burning a hole in my pocket and would like to find a gun that fills a caliber void I've got.

So I have my varmint guns in 223 and a 243 Win, I have a 7 mag and a 300 WSM, but Would like something in between that 243 and the 7RM. I know people love the 6.5, and maybe I would, but it's so popular, that I kind of want something against the grain. I like classic rounds too.
Something for deer hunting where I'm allowed to use a rifle, pronghorn, perhaps a kid could tote it too.

I'm thinking 270 WIN or I've always had a weird irrational facination with 25-06. Both would fit that bill, but the 25-06 would be pretty cool. I can reload, so ammo isn't a big deal.
If we go back to your initial thoughts, as much as I love the 7mm-08, I think you'd be best off with the .270. Probably find you don't use your 7mag as much!

If I shot a rifle for anything it would be my 7mag up to big bear and dangerous African game.Alot of recoil is in the pad and weight of gun.Mine is an older model 700 with real wood and a sims vibration recoil pad.My wife and daughter both shoot this gun with no issues.The daughter started shooting it at 13 for NM oryx and took to africa and made 1 shot kills on all her animals.You can get I believe from 110 gr to 250 grain bullets.If I was trophy whitetail hunting I want something that takes broadside only out of the equation.

May be way off base, but to the original post; I think I'd find the "gun" that floated my boat and buy the gun, not the caliber. For example I'm a lover of wood and a great blueing. I'd much rather have a gun that fits this bill in most any caliber, than a plastic stock'd black barreled gun in a specific caliber.

He already has a 7mag. The thread is about filling the gap with something between a .243 and a 7mag.

"Something for deer hunting where I'm allowed to use a rifle, pronghorn, perhaps a kid could tote it too."

There's no need for something as powerful as a 7mag for what he intends to do with it.

I have quite a few rifles myself, and my goto for the last 20 yrs is my old remington bolt action 700adl .270. Upgraded with a boyds thumbhole laminated stock, new timney trigger set at 3lbs, and a $150 Nikon 4x16 scope.
it shoots 1" moa at 100yds, and my max distance is 300yds, (limited by the scope) You can go down the trajectory/ballistics charts rabbit hole, and to me that's like picking the gnat shit out of the pepper. Only the chrono can see 100ft/sec differences. fairly cheap rifle, cheap upgrades, cheap ammo, shoots as good as any rifle i own. I can't say it has really low recoil, but I only notice that when I'm at the range.

I think the 270 is the wheel that keeps getting reinventEd. More 270 bullet selection may perhaps make it re emerge.

If only they only made a .264 / 03 instead of a .277 /03

The creedmore curse would have never come.

( The parent case of a .270 Win is the 30/03) I think like the 06 it’s a Springfield?

I have a 30/03 Winchester 1895 . I use .270 brass resized for it.

Last edited:
What about a 6.5 Grendel in a mini Howa? It would be quite a bit different from anything you have and would still be capable of pronghorn. If you want a small classic maybe a 250 Savage. Seems like these would be better for kids in a lighter rifle.

I think the 270 is the wheel that keeps getting reinventEd. More 270 bullet selection may perhaps make it re emerge.

If only they only made a .264 / 03 instead of a .277 /03

The creedmore curse would have never come.

( The parent case of a .270 Win is the 30/03) I think like the 06 it’s a Springfield?

I have a 30/03 Winchester 1895 . I use .270 brass resized for it.
Sir, the 270 is a necked down 30-06.

It is not really close to a 6.5 creedmoor. Not a soul was thinking about competing with 270s when they came up with the creedmoor. A 6.5 PRC is a much closer comparison.

They made a 264 that is actually comparable to a 6.5 creedmoor. It’s a necked down 308 called the 260 rem.

This is the lively discussion I like!

So many good and fun guns to own. Should just buy em all...

That said, I may swing my way towards a good semi auto shotgun as the best shotgun I currently own is a plain jane 870 I got when I turned 16.
Still on the fence.

This is the lively discussion I like!

So many good and fun guns to own. Should just buy em all...

That said, I may swing my way towards a good semi auto shotgun as the best shotgun I currently own is a plain jane 870 I got when I turned 16.
Still on the fence.

Shotgun shopping is a real bummer in my opinion. It's so important that the gun fit properly and point well for you.

I had read articles in magazines and online, and I had a few shotguns in mind that I thought offered good value in a reasonable price range. I went to about 6 different gun stores in as many months, and I found out none of them fit me well. What did fit well and point instinctively for me? Beretta Silver Pigeon and Benelli Black Eagle. Way out of my price range at the time. I settled on a Turkish over/under that fit me best of all the sub $500 shotguns I tried. I like it, but I don't love it. However, I did start shooting more trap and hunting more small game after I bought it, because it made shotgun shooting more enjoyable than missing all the time with my 870 Express youth model.

I promised myself I wouldn't buy another shotgun until I had about $2000 set aside and enough free time to be able to shoot trap and hunt small game. That hasn't happened yet, so I don't have a new shotgun yet. But when that day comes, I will go around and try a bunch of different shotguns and just buy the one that fits me best. I think that is the key to being happy with a shotgun purchase and actually using the gun once I get it home. It's hard to get excited about shooting trap or hunting rabbits when your gun doesn't mount as well as it could.

If you are going to buy a semi-auto, have a look at the Benelli Super Black Eagle and the Franchi Affinity. They're not cheap, but I recall them mounting and pointing well for me.

Sir, the 270 is a necked down 30-06.

It is not really close to a 6.5 creedmoor. Not a soul was thinking about competing with 270s when they came up with the creedmoor. A 6.5 PRC is a much closer comparison.

They made a 264 that is actually comparable to a 6.5 creedmoor. It’s a necked down 308 called the 260 rem.
Does a 270 chamber in a 30 06?

I think you will find them too long.

The 270 is a necked down 3003

A 3006 is a trimmed down 3003

Thats what I believe.

I wonder why it’s not a 260 creedmore or a 6.5 Remington?

Shotgun seems like a good idea, easy to get redundant on rifles.

Back when i used to burn through cases of steel shot a year shooting ducks and geese i was very fond of my win super x3. The benellis felt better pointing/shouldering to me but whenever I tried my buddy's i was notably worse shooting with them. I also preferred the recoil impulse of a gas gun vs the inertia ones where you could feel the action working. Felt "slower". That was just personal preference though, i'm sure with practice/familiarity i'd have shot the benellis just as well.
Does a 270 chamber in a 30 06?

I think you will find them too long.

The 270 is a necked down 3003

A 3006 is a trimmed down 3003

Thats what I believe.
It appears you are correct and I was incorrect. I've always seen the 270 referring to the 06 as the parent case but it is indeed longer.
I wonder why it’s not a 260 creedmore or a 6.5 Remington?

260 is probably because remington used the odd naming convention that they did.. 270 doesn't shoot 0.270" bullets, 0.280 doesn't shoot 0.280" bullets, and 30-06 doesn't shoot 0.300" bullets..

Most modern 0.264s are called 6.5s. Grendel, weatherby x2, lapua, creedmoor, PRC. Only one that isn't i can think of is 26 nosler.

I think millimeters were not used in marketing post WW 2 due to negative feelings towards Europe.

How does the 260 Rem compare to the 6.5 x 55 and 6.5 creedmore?

Why isn’t the 260 Rem more popular?

It’s funny for me, obviously I didn’t associate the 264 as a 6.5 bullet. Nearly 30 years ago when I first started shooting center fires.

The guy who helped me reload my 8x57 said his absolute favorite big game rifle he owned was a 264 Winchester magnum.

Last edited:
3 peas in a pod, as far as capacity goes, without splitting hairs.
When the .260 came out, the 7mm-08 was already established and is in the same niche. Remington didn't back it very long and it slowly slipped away. The 6.5 swede has been around forever but uses the same length action as a .270. May as well get a .270 there. Neither have the tight twist rate of the Creed. These days, that's the kiss of death, along with BC's of less than a zillion. Even guys that typically only shoot a couple yards or less have to have something better suited to long range, when in reality a nosler partition loaded in backwards would suffice perfectly for their needs.
Just my humble opinion.