30-06 ammo for elk

Robert86

5 year old buck +
So I have a 30-06, im not going to buy a new rifle. I'd like to find an ammo that I could use on deer and elk. Something I can shoot out to at least 400 yards. The one bullet I've been looking at is barnes vor-tx 168 grain ttsx. Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated thanks!

I’ve been researching this exact thing for a year or so now, Robert. Using 30-06 and getting set for a trip out west this fall. I’ve landed on using Speer Impact 172gr bullet in my hand loads, but they are also available through Remington as loaded ammo. I also liked Federal Terminal Ascent 175gr, but those bullets are impossible to find for hand loading, yet loaded ammo is readily available. Both the Speer Impact and Fed Terminal Ascent have excellent expansion and weight retention to at least 500 yds . Check out Frontline Rejects on YouTube - shooting water jugs 100-500 yards and showing results for lots of loads/calibers.

I use copper the majority of time while deer hunting, but was worried on potential long range opportunities out West and getting reliable expansion with dwindling velocities. Out to 400 should be ok with Barnes depending on the load/velocity, but that is getting to the limits of reliable expansion (Barnes does have their long range lineup as well which obviously would extend range, but I haven’t made a deep dive into those). Just my thoughts! Best of luck!

A 30-06 is a fine cartridge for Elk....especially at the ranges suggested. Lots of good bullets out there.....and I think most of them that are intended for big game will get the job done as long as the weight is 150 to 175 grains or so. So many cartridges have been developed trying to outperform the good old 30-06......and some do in one area or another.....but the fact remains it is a great cartridge for so many tasks.....like elk hunting.

I am partial to 200 grain Nosler partitions.

But I wouldn’t recommend buying them now at current price point

300-350 would be my limit with a 30-06. I think you could do ok with 168gr heads or 180gr. Although nothing fancy, I had a handload using 180gr cor-lokt heads and H4895. Worked great in a 700 remington. Deer have fell to it several times with ease, been doing the NH moose lottery with no luck yet.

Definitely can find a good deer and elk bullet with little to no problems.

What gun are you using? IF the gun is lightweight, I'd lean towards a 165-168 bullet. 400 isn't that bad with a 30-06, a good rest, and a rangefinder. 400 anything takes practice. IF price limit your practice, I would opt for less expensive bullets than skimp on practice. A cowoker goes elk hunting almost every year, he uses a 308 browning with 165 sierra game kings with no problems. Only issue he has, he doesn't get a long shot, it's often a 75-100 yard shot in the woods. Go where the game is I guess. He goes somewhere near pegosa springs colorado.

300-350 would be my limit with a 30-06. I think you could do ok with 168gr heads or 180gr. Although nothing fancy, I had a handload using 180gr cor-lokt heads and H4895. Worked great in a 700 remington. Deer have fell to it several times with ease, been doing the NH moose lottery with no luck yet.

Definitely can find a good deer and elk bullet with little to no problems.

What gun are you using? IF the gun is lightweight, I'd lean towards a 165-168 bullet. 400 isn't that bad with a 30-06, a good rest, and a rangefinder. 400 anything takes practice. IF price limit your practice, I would opt for less expensive bullets than skimp on practice. A cowoker goes elk hunting almost every year, he uses a 308 browning with 165 sierra game kings with no problems. Only issue he has, he doesn't get a long shot, it's often a 75-100 yard shot in the woods. Go where the game is I guess. He goes somewhere near pegosa springs colorado.

I have a browning x bolt medallion.

Remember that not all shots at elk are long.I would shoot the 165-180 Also in the accrabond

I would focus on precision if you are taking shots up to 400 yards. As previously mentioned, the majority of modern big game bullets will perform adequately if they hit their mark. The important thing is to get the bullet where it needs to be. I have had very good experience with Hornady ELD-X bullets on elk's smaller cousin, European red deer. The bullets shoot very well from my rifle and perform well on the deer I shoot. I think it's at least worth a look. Here's some info from some guys who shot an elk at 400 yards with that bullet from a 30-06:

Accubond long range or ELD-X ++

178 ELDm or ELDx or 175 TMK are probably where I’d start. I’m not sure if the TMK or ELDm are available in factory loaded ammo if that’s what you’re looking for.

The barnes aren’t that appealing to me from an external and terminal ballistics standpoint. Not hard to find a lead bullet in the same class that will be flatter, deflect less from wind, and make a bigger wound channel. Not saying the barnes wouldn’t be perfectly adequate just that the only reason I’d choose one is if I had an aversion to lead.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the replies, keep them coming. Is the 178 grain a little over kill for deer? Right now I shoot the 150 grain sst, but I've talk to a couple outfitters in Montana and they said don't come if your shooting the sst's. They just don't work well on elk they said.

I would focus on precision if you are taking shots up to 400 yards. As previously mentioned, the majority of modern big game bullets will perform adequately if they hit their mark. The important thing is to get the bullet where it needs to be. I have had very good experience with Hornady ELD-X bullets on elk's smaller cousin, European red deer. The bullets shoot very well from my rifle and perform well on the deer I shoot. I think it's at least worth a look. Here's some info from some guys who shot an elk at 400 yards with that bullet from a 30-06:

So in one part of the video, it's says to have a 1 in 12 twist? My x bolt is 1 in 10, is that a problem?

So in one part of the video, it's says to have a 1 in 12 twist? My x bolt is 1 in 10, is that a problem?
1 in 12 is probably the min twist to stabilize that bullet. 1 in 10 is good.

Thanks for all the replies, keep them coming. Is the 178 grain a little over kill for deer? Right now I shoot the 150 grain sst, but I've talk to a couple outfitters in Montana and they said don't come if your shooting the sst's. They just don't work well on elk they said.
Overkill in what way? I’d expect deeper and possibly a little narrower wounds than a 150 of similar bullet construction. I use primarily 22 or 6mm cartridges for whitetails so 30-06 is “overkill” to start for me.

Last edited:
1 in 12 is probably the min twist to stabilize that bullet. 1 in 10 is good.

Overkill in what way? I’d expect deeper and possibly a little narrower wounds than a 150 of similar bullet construction. I use primarily 22 or 6mm cartridges for whitetails so 30-06 is “overkill” to start for me.

When I went to buy a new rifle I wanted one that I can hunt everything with. I didn't want to buy a bunch of rifles. What I mean by overkill is I don't want to ruin a bunch of meat when I'm deer hunting. If you expect narrower wound channels I'm fine with that.

I like 175gr terminal ascent. I think it’s the best bullet available in its class right now. Updated trophy bonded bear claw.

And @Wind Gypsy is the man in this area.

Excessve meat damage is usually caused by high vlocity guns around 3000 fps or so, and secondary damage caused by broken bones or bullet separation.

180gr shot 10 times on deer vs 150gr shot on 10 deer, I'd bet good money the 150gr caused more meat damage. Too heavy or too tough of a bullet means less expansion.

You can shoot other bullet without changing your scope nobs. You just really need a range chart with you. So, you don't mess up your bullet rise / drop vs the other bullet. Althought quite different, I do that with my 45 cal flintlock. I shoot 40gr at woodwalk shoots, but push it up to 65 when hunting deer. The less recoil is easy on the stock and lock inlets. Changing zero requires a chisel, hammer, and a file. I just know what both of them do at certain ranges. A 20 yard miscalculation is a miss on my shoot card at times. No angefinders allowed at those competitions either. Although some do sneak them in.

A guy at camp shoot 150gr cor-lokts from his savage 110. I shot the 180gr cor-lokts from my remington. His wound channels looked better than mine. I'd bring any 180gr bullet out elk hunting, I would bring a 150gr, but would do my homework. I'd likely shoot the bullet into a jug of jello instead of water. The extra viscosity would simulate dense muscle better than water. 1st gallon jug can be jello, remaining ones can be water to recover bullet. ICe cold water makes a better expansion test than room temp water, viscosity of the fluid.

An old rubgy player with two of his buddies lifted up the front of a honda civic and cornered it between 2 trees in college. Big tough guy. I shoot with him from time to time. He is a bad flincher. Recoil and noise sets him off. IF you're that guy, youre better off with lighter bullets and not too much powder. A good number of years ago, guys thought 30-30 was the cats meow for hunting.... We got plenty of options.

Don'f focus on whats the best super long range bullet for your gun. Around 2015 I was going to go with that guy from work to colorado. I was going to bring the rem 700 as backup, but my main gun would of been a 450 marlin lever gun I know very well, or a gun I got as a gift a CZ 375 H&H. Now that gun is overkill. Used to love shooting woodchucks with it. I'd aim a few inches into the ground, it looked like you got them with land mines.

When I went to buy a new rifle I wanted one that I can hunt everything with. I didn't want to buy a bunch of rifles. What I mean by overkill is I don't want to ruin a bunch of meat when I'm deer hunting. If you expect narrower wound channels I'm fine with that.

The 150 or 168 TTSX and 175 federal terminal ascent are good options if you don’t want wide wound channels. I don’t think a 178 eldx would be too messy at the moderate velocities from a 06 though. I’ve shot a few critters with the 200 grain version at 2840ish fps muzzle velocity and it wasn’t particularly messy.

I used sst s for a spell with the 3006….(180 grain) …… it blood shocked a lot of meat. I could imagine the 150 would be worse due to more velocity.

Some people claim the monolithic bullets cause much less damage to meat.

I have the current belief that a lead bonded , or partition in a heavy package is a compromise. I use economical Speer hot cores for practice.

But if i was buying ammunition not reloading….I would choose 180 grain cup and core or 165 to 180 monolithic.

The 150 or 168 TTSX and 175 federal terminal ascent are good options if you don’t want wide wound channels. I don’t think a 178 eldx would be too messy at the moderate velocities from a 06 though. I’ve shot a few critters with the 200 grain version at 2840ish fps muzzle velocity and it wasn’t particularly messy.
Ok thanks for the info, im new to the rifle thing because we were shotgun only for deer hunting up to a few years ago. I think I'm going to get some of what you mentioned above and see what I like on target.

A guy at camp shoot 150gr cor-lokts from his savage 110. I shot the 180gr cor-lokts from my remington. His wound channels looked better than mine. I'd bring any 180gr bullet out elk hunting, I would bring a 150gr, but would do my homework. I'd likely shoot the bullet into a jug of jello instead of water. The extra viscosity would simulate dense muscle better than water. 1st gallon jug can be jello, remaining ones can be water to recover bullet. ICe cold water makes a better expansion test than room temp water, viscosity of the fluid.

I highly recommend trying this if you have the time and resources. I had read somewhere that about 20" of ballistic gelatin would stop a bullet fired from a rifle. Not fully believing what I read I set out on an experiment.

Where I used to work we made metal canisters that were about 7 1/4 inches in diameter and 20 inches long. So I obtained a canister and bought some gelatin at the local store that sold it in commercial sized packages. I figured the volume of the canister and mixed the gelatin with a 2x ratio of gelatin to water. It was like the stuff you used to get in the lunch line in school, it wouldn't even jiggle. I filled the canister and set it in the vertical position to cure.

Off to the range we go. I set the canister out at 10 yards and set my digital camera in video mode. Fired a shot from my 6.5x55 and sure enough the bullet was fully contained in the canister. The canister was knocked off the bench I had it set on but the bullet never made it out the other end. I had lined the canister with a plastic bag before filling with the gelatin so I could pull it out and observe the bullet in the gelatin. It was pretty interesting to see how the bullet had performed and how much retained weight there was in the largest part of the slug. It was a fun day at the range.