.22 Quiet and Accurate ammo

BenAllgood

5 year old buck +
I'm running out of what I've been using to shoot nutria in a suburban neighborhood pond setting. I need quiet and accurate ammo. I've been using the CCI Quiet-22 Segmented HP 22 LR ammo. They're 40 grains at 710FPS. I've been pretty happy with them. My shots are usually about 100 yards. Before I buy more, I was wondering if there might be better ammo for this situation.

I'm running out of what I've been using to shoot nutria in a suburban neighborhood pond setting. I need quiet and accurate ammo. I've been using the CCI Quiet-22 Segmented HP 22 LR ammo. They're 40 grains at 710FPS. I've been pretty happy with them. My shots are usually about 100 yards. Before I buy more, I was wondering if there might be better ammo for this situation.

How can u be accurate out to 100 yards with ammo that slow? I shoot 1040 FPS sub Sonic’s and they’re crashing downward at 70 yards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How can u be accurate out to 100 yards with ammo that slow? I shoot 1040 FPS sub Sonic’s and they’re crashing downward at 70 yards.

I'm not sure. I've shot 5 in the past week. I did sight them in at that range though. I'll see if I can get a video soon. They're terribly invasive and cause major destruction down here.

I'm not sure. I've shot 5 in the past week. I did sight them in at that range though. I'll see if I can get a video soon. They're terribly invasive and cause major destruction down here.

Sounds like you need an industrial compost turner and a load of wood chips. Upsource them critters.

SK standard + is what my cz 455 seems to like best. Was recommended as a popular less than crazy expensive option for nrl 22 matches. Not a hollow point or anything so might not kill as quick but I’d think it would work. Only critters I’ve shot with it were dispatching shots of trapped possum.

I used to use CCI Supressor 22lr ammo for groundhogs in the backyard when we lived in town. Didn’t have a supressor on the gun, but still very quiet. They are a 45gr hollow point with stated velocity of 970 fps. Very accurate and groundhogs were DRT even on body shots, but I only shot out to 50yds. Maybe something to check into if you are looking for a touch heavier or touch faster, but still subsonic.

I used to buy bricks of Aguilla 22 ammo that was ultra low velocity.....maybe 750 fps out of a rifle. Very quiet....and I beleive as low noise as most air rifles. You had to be aware that a squib may get stuck in the barrel.....but we never had that experience. I still have a few hundred rounds....but they dont sell it anymore. Worked good in a lever action rifle....but may not cycle a semi auto due to the low pressures.

I really liked shooting this stuff in the back yard as it did not arouse any of the neighbors.....cause nobody heard it. I remember that if you were shooting this ammo and looked carefully upon firing that you could sometimes see the projectile and its trajectory.

There is no way that you could exceed about 50 yards max with this stuff.....as it was just falling like crazy after even 30 yards or so.....and it had little power beyond that point. Not enough to kill more than a small bird at that range....but lethal on rabbit size critters to about 25 yards or so with a well placed shot.

The other thing I learned about this ammo was that the bullets were sintered lead (frangible).....kinda like an asprin tablet......and would basically explode with minor penetration. Therefore no ricochet issues with the neighbors yet it still was effective on small game. I wish they still made it.....maybe there is a substitute?

Last edited:
I used to buy bricks of Aguilla 22 ammo that was ultra low velocity.....maybe 750 fps out of a rifle. Very quiet....and I beleive as low noise as most air rifles. You had to be aware that a squib may get stuck in the barrel.....but we never had that experience. I still have a few hundred rounds....but they dont sell it anymore. Worked good in a lever action rifle....but may not cycle a semi auto due to the low pressures.

I really liked shooting this stuff in the back yard as it did not arouse any of the neighbors.....cause nobody heard it. I remember that if you were shooting this ammo and looked carefully upon firing that you could sometimes see the projectile and its trajectory.

There is no way that you could exceed about 50 yards max with this stuff.....as it was just falling like crazy after even 30 yards or so.....and it had little power beyond that point. Not enough to kill more than a small bird at that range....but lethal on rabbit size critters to about 25 yards or so with a well placed shot.

The other thing I lied about this ammo was that the bullets were sintered lead.....kinda like an asprin tablet......and would basically explode with minor penetration. Therefore no ricochet issues with the neighbors yet it still was effective on small game. I wish they still made it.....maybe there is a substitute?
I've got mine zero'd at 60 yards. My ammo runs 1040 FPS. It drops another inch by 70 yards, and after that it nose dives. I've taken crows at 70 yards with it. With it zeroed at 60, it's an inch high at 40, so I've got to keep that in mind if I'm shooting closer.

I've got mine zero'd at 60 yards. My ammo runs 1040 FPS. It drops another inch by 70 yards, and after that it nose dives. I've taken crows at 70 yards with it. With it zeroed at 60, it's an inch high at 40, so I've got to keep that in mind if I'm shooting closer.
Remembering a shot I made with a cheap Winchester 22, open sight, autoloader when I was about 18 years old. We were just plinking at an abandoned farm site along the Minnesota River near New Ulm. We saw a lone crow land high in a tree down by the river.....perhaps 1/2 mile away. I told my friends to "watch this" and put a hold on that crow about 10 yards high over it's body.....and touched off the shot. I suppose a couple of seconds passed and the crow basically fell over and toppled end over end to the ground. You can imagine my bragging on that shot that day. Not sure you could do that again with 1000 tries. Still, if you never take the shot you never know. (100% luck.)

Remembering a shot I made with a cheap Winchester 22, open sight, autoloader when I was about 18 years old. We were just plinking at an abandoned farm site along the Minnesota River near New Ulm. We saw a lone crow land high in a tree down by the river.....perhaps 1/2 mile away. I told my friends to "watch this" and put a hold on that crow about 10 yards high over it's body.....and touched off the shot. I suppose a couple of seconds passed and the crow basically fell over and toppled end over end to the ground. You can imagine my bragging on that shot that day. Not sure you could do that again with 1000 tries. Still, if you never take the shot you never know. (100% luck.)

I used cary a 22 Win 67A rifle with me and a pocket full of shells at the farm all the time when I was kid, I made some crazy shots with that rifle. Must have shot about a million pigeons/starlings/sparrows...I would hang dead ground hogs on the fence or guardrail all lined up over a summer, my Dad would pay me a bounty of a couple bucks on them.

I use the CCI coated subsonic rounds in my suppressed .22. I believe they're 1040FPS. If you're looking for something fun, get a rimfire suppressor. The only sound you hear is the tink of the hammer hitting the primer and the bullet impact. Quieter than the Crossman BB gun I had as a kid.

100 yards seems far to me for .22LR.

I use the CCI coated subsonic rounds in my suppressed .22. I believe they're 1040FPS. If you're looking for something fun, get a rimfire suppressor. The only sound you hear is the tink of the hammer hitting the primer and the bullet impact. Quieter than the Crossman BB gun I had as a kid.

100 yards seems far to me for .22LR.
I’m in one of the few states you can’t buy suppressors. I would love to have a set up like this. I’d be shooting in my back yard constantly.

I've cleaned out the adults from this pond, but there are several juveniles left. I shot 2 from this group. I didn't include the last one in this video because it did flop around some.

The video isn't that great because I had to zoom in pretty far with my phone.

20240408_102334.jpg_compressed - Copy.JPEG

Screenshot 2024-04-08 090536.jpg

Last edited:
Norma Tac-22 they also have a subsonic version very good ammo in my experience.

Even the normal TAC-22 seems to run just under supersonic speeds at least at my elevation of around 900 ft and is very quite running suppressed.

Maybe I missed it, but what gun are you shooting this from? Bolt actions only eject gas from the barrel. Always found semi-autos to be louder. Also barrel length effects noise.

There's been a few times I have had a gun unexpectly make alot more noise. Colder the air is the lower the speed of sound is. So, cold days I have had soem sub sonic ammo become alot louder.

Instead of shooting out a window, make a shooting rest and have the barrel be a few feet inside. The room will absorb the muzzle blast noise much better.

Chronographing your results would be quite helpful. Also, make sure you dont mix ammo. I get the ocassional CCI blazer mixed in and get alot louder result.

Maybe I missed it, but what gun are you shooting this from? Bolt actions only eject gas from the barrel. Always found semi-autos to be louder. Also barrel length effects noise.

There's been a few times I have had a gun unexpectly make alot more noise. Colder the air is the lower the speed of sound is. So, cold days I have had soem sub sonic ammo become alot louder.

Instead of shooting out a window, make a shooting rest and have the barrel be a few feet inside. The room will absorb the muzzle blast noise much better.

Chronographing your results would be quite helpful. Also, make sure you dont mix ammo. I get the ocassional CCI blazer mixed in and get alot louder result.
I'm using a Ruger 10/22. Good idea about the shooting rest inside the window.

Ruger 10/22's usually don't have that long of a barrel. IF you can hold the bolt closed, it'll be quieter.

Ruger 10/22's usually don't have that long of a barrel. IF you can hold the bolt closed, it'll be quieter.
It doesn't cycle now with the Quiets. I manually eject the casings. I was hoping for a flatter trajectory with not much of a difference in sound. I'm going to try your suggestion of muzzle inside with regular rounds.