Very Accurate AR-15

Native Hunter

5 year old buck +
I recently wanted to add another AR-15 to my collection and decided to go with a Springfield Saint Victor. It has a 16 inch barrel and comes with flip up iron sights. After I got those zeroed, I mounted a cheap Weaver 3X9 scope on it and started testing some factory ammo. I tried some different varmint loads , because I want to use this gun on coyotes, groundhogs and crows. Needless to say I was pleasantly surprised at the accuracy.

Results below are at 100 yds off of a good rest. This is giving probably less than 15 seconds between shots - just enough time for me to get back on target. Also I want to mention that I am not culling any shots or calling any flyers. These groups include all shots fired.

Barnes Centerfire 223, 55 Grain JHP - Average of three 3-shot groups = .666 inches (.400, .768, .830 inches)
Hornady Varmint Express 223, 55 grain V-max - Average of three 3-shot groups = .716 inches (.962, .750, .436 inches)
Federal Varmint and Predator 223, 50 grain JHP - Average of Four 3-shot groups = .728 inches (.516, 1.290, .415, .690 inches)

Shown Below is a picture of the gun and the three targets shot with the Barnes ammo. For right now, that is what I'm going to shoot in it.

IMG_3823.jpeg

IMG_3826.jpeg
IMG_3825.jpeg
IMG_3824.jpeg

As someone knocking on 70 years old - I can remember back in the 60’s and 70’s when I started shooting a lot - the holy grail was a one inch group - that was considered the pinnacle for a sporting rifle. And those were in the days when the rifles were supposedly made to a higher standard. I have a low end PSA .300 blackout that will shoot a .5 in group will regularity. My son just bought a package gun - a savage 110, 6.5 creedmoor with rings and vortex scope. with the first ammo he tried, my 11 yr old grand daughter was shooting sub one inch groups at 200 yards. It is amazing what these production rifles will do.

Not sure about that Springfield, but a lot of production AR’s are notorious for having sub standard triggers - I know most of mine do. How is the trigger on that rifle? I would say you have more than adequate accuracy for your varmint gun.

Wow. Nice rifle.

As someone knocking on 70 years old - I can remember back in the 60’s and 70’s when I started shooting a lot - the holy grail was a one inch group - that was considered the pinnacle for a sporting rifle. And those were in the days when the rifles were supposedly made to a higher standard. I have a low end PSA .300 blackout that will shoot a .5 in group will regularity. My son just bought a package gun - a savage 110, 6.5 creedmoor with rings and vortex scope. with the first ammo he tried, my 11 yr old grand daughter was shooting sub one inch groups at 200 yards. It is amazing what these production rifles will do.

Not sure about that Springfield, but a lot of production AR’s are notorious for having sub standard triggers - I know most of mine do. How is the trigger on that rifle? I would say you have more than adequate accuracy for your varmint gun.
The trigger is better than average and doesn’t creep but still seems about 6 or 7 pounds. I think I could put a Timney trigger in this gun and change the scope to a 4x12 and constantly stay below 1/2 inch groups. And, my 68 year old eyes aren’t as good as they one was, so that is a factor too

Wow. Nice rifle.
They had a heck of a deal going but it has expired now. I got the rifle at like $100+ off regular price and got $200 worth of clothing from Springfield. And, they are sending me a free Vortex red dot scope, a free sling and and an extra 30 round P-mag.

Sweet cheeses! It's hard to find an AR that accurate for that price. I ended up buying a Ruger AR some years ago. It's nice, bot not nearly that accurate. The online AR scene kind of turned me off, so I quit paying attention. It's worse than the online bowhunter scene. I would love to get one that accurate some day. I recall the really accurate ARs being around $1500 and up, unless you built your own.

Native, that is good to know. I have one that has been a safe queen for last 3 years. May have to get a scope for it and put some rounds through it.

What's your guy's favorite AR trigger upgrade? Brand and model?

What's your guy's favorite AR trigger upgrade? Brand and model?
I have only done one trigger upgrade on an AR, and I used the Timney Competition model that is factory set at 3 lbs. It is very expensive compared to some, but it is sweet. Below is where I recently installed it in a Bushmaster. There are probably choices just as good for less money.
IMG_3788.jpeg

Just remembered that I have a friend who likes the Larue Tactical two-stage triggers. In a few days I'm going to let him put one in another AR that I have. I will try to think and let you know what I think of it.

I have 5 or 6 of the Larue triggers very very much worth the money. I also have several other manufactures triggers in diffrent AR’s including a couple geissele high speed national match triggers they maybe are better but they are 3 times the price so I’ve been ordering the Larue’s for any new builds.

And that gun of yours is a real shooter don’t trade that one off.

I really like the LaRue MBT-2S that I have in my hunting set-up. I am nowhere near a precision shooter and doubt that a Geissele would show much improvement in my hands. I've tried a few other brands at similar price point to my LaRue and they're hit or miss. One had a weak hammer spring. Another would release the hammer on a slow trigger reset. Another is decent but just ever so slightly gritty.

IF tax season isn't enugh to not like NY, now you guys flash those things on here......

When the safe act came on in 2011, I had a springfieild national match on back-order and 3 weeks after the window closed LAncaster arms called saying my custom AK is ready......

Nice groups, you haven't handloaded it either.

I put timney in a savage axis, felt like a good trigger upgrade. Did feel a bit pricey for what was in the box though.

I get the impression @Native Hunter is just pretty dang good at shooting small.

I have a timney single stage (I think the same one @Native Hunter mentioned) in my more varmint oriented AR and a larue MBT 2 stage in my 14.5" SHTF AR. I used to be more happy with the timney, it doens't feel as smooth as it once did. It doesn't feel like a good bolt gun single stage trigger but closer in that direction for someone who wants that in an AR. I think the Larue MBT 2 stage is kind of the top dog when it comes to quality for the $ based on reviews and research. I'd buy another larue if getting another AR.

I decided to try some 60 grain bullets in it. This is 5 shots at 100 yds with Black Hills ammo. The first 4 were barely over 1/2 inch. The chronograph showed that the average velocity from the 16 inch barrel was 2,822 fps.
IMG_3832.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_3832.jpeg
    IMG_3832.jpeg
    261.2 KB · Views: 8
I decided this gun needed a 4x12 scope so today I put one on it. After sighting in with the cheap stuff I shot a group with the Barnes 55 grain. I’m going to just keep shooting the hard factory trigger for right now. It doesn’t seem to be bothering me much.
IMG_3835.jpeg

^ Good gun and groups for a gun like that. I have two AR's and both shoot well too......tho one is a heavy Colt H-Bar for PD shooting. I once said I could compete at benchrest shoots with it. Amazing to me how these guns shoot so well.

^ Good gun and groups for a gun like that. I have two AR's and both shoot well too......tho one is a heavy Colt H-Bar for PD shooting. I once said I could compete at benchrest shoots with it. Amazing to me how these guns shoot so well.
My 300 mag shoots extremely tight too, but the 223 is more fun to shoot....😧