All Things Habitat - Lets talk.....

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wall

Well , at conservative experience thus far of $2,000,000 a mile looks like about 9 miles covered.{ That over the easiest portion of the border for building a wall and not even to spec }Under Bush, if memory serves , they built about 600 miles+. Only 1400 miles to go. Not sure that cost covers loss to landowners or not which should be calculated in.

To repeat, I am 100% for border security and immigration control. Being a business guy I believe the $25Billion plus { Ever seen a govt estimate come in low? } could be spent more effectively. Who on here has seen what the terrain along the Rio Grande looks like in Texas?

This is when wealth is made, when markets go down. Anyone that thinks smart investors are not snapping up beaten down shares. Major $$$ was made in 08/09 when markets took a beating.

One example--Boeing stock was $28 back then. It is $303 today.

This is when wealth is made, when markets go down. Anyone that thinks smart investors are not snapping up beaten down shares. Major $$$ was made in 08/09 when markets took a beating.

So true, anyone with the ability to do so should max out their IRA/401k in January. Enjoy the ride back up.

Do you really think back in 08/09 people thought that I need to invest in airplanes ... after they were used to drop the twin towers & the Pentagon?

Do you really think back in 08/09 people thought that I need to invest in airplanes ... after they were used to drop the twin towers & the Pentagon?

I don’t follow you??

So true, anyone with the ability to do so should max out their IRA/401k in January. Enjoy the ride back up.
I don't think it's a ride up already in January... I'm no wallstreet expert but in the housing market is starting to smell allot like it did in 07' things are almost to easy right now that it's kinda scary, especially since history always repeats itself.
One thing I remember from 9/11 is the smartest man I've ever known (my boss at the time) sold off everything he could sell fast and bought stocks like crazy. Then on 09' he actually bought his farm back for roughly half what he had sold it for. He was never a rich man, never seen him in pants without holes but his kids where given some gigantic inheritance when he passed a few years ago.
Back to the wall. What happens with all the interest made on that money in the mean time? If they don't raise enough (which I hope they do so that I don't need to contribute)- and refund everyone's money. Who keeps interest made? This guy could be a real genius......

It was more like 2010 and after, but yes.

I like real estate more than the stock market because rental properties pay income, and rent tends to follow inflation. I made about 30% annually on my investments at that time, and I still make about 20% now. Prices are higher now than in 2010, but nowhere near what they were in 2007. The problem now is lack of "inventory."

The stock market is great if you know what you are doing or want to preserve wealth, but it can be tricky, and I would never rely too heavily on it.

I would gladly pay more taxes for the wall and more/better border security.

Just a thought on the market/investment topic. Warren Buffet has been quoted many times as saying, "Be fearful when others are greedy, and greedy when others are fearful." In other words - buy when people panic / share prices get low, and sell when people are buying everything in sight / prices are highest.

My wife and I loaded up in the '87 crash when the bottom fell out. Bought fund shares on sale. Dollar-cost average purchasing for 33 years now. Miracle of compounding.

Wall - For the avg. person trying to cross the border, wouldn't barbed / razor wire be easier and cheaper to install and do the job ?? Probably save billions ?? Quicker to string it for sure.

Wall - For the avg. person trying to cross the border, wouldn't barbed / razor wire be easier and cheaper to install and do the job ?? Probably save billions ?? Quicker to string it for sure.
I don't think any physical barrier will stop them unless it's manned. Hell, they are crossing countries, deserts, rivers, and mountains to get here. There is no wall or razor wire fence that will make them turn back... unless there is an armed guard standing there making it very clear they cannot go further.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

This happens about a thousand times a week just between the stretch from Piedras Negras to Nuevo Laredo. They charge newbies $800 each to cross. The 'regulars' cross back and forth as work or holidays require no charge. The ranches on the other side of the river from me are 40,000 acres and 30,000 acres respectively.Heavy brush country. A fence isn't going to stop anyone. Patrolling challenging. However, they do have to get to a public road about 20 miles across the border where they are met and transported. Everyone down there knows that. Could there be a simpler more cost effective solution?

The guy in front is the coyote or guide. Makes daily runs. He's on our side of the highway now because for a short period of time the Mexicans are patrolling the river more intensively. There is a Mexican military outpost about 10 miles from this spot. Everyone on both sides of the river knows what is going on and could stop it today if the will was there.

RCNX0004.JPG

Back to the wall. What happens with all the interest made on that money in the mean time? If they don't raise enough (which I hope they do so that I don't need to contribute)- and refund everyone's money. Who keeps interest made? This guy could be a real genius......

Fund maintenance fees and the fine print will get you every time... Plus there is this now: https://www.gofundme.com/ladders-to-get-over-trump039s-wall

They promised a gofundme tunnel fund too...

The free boat ride around the wall idea will be next, you watch>>>

"For a three hour tour,
A three hour tour.
The weather started getting rough, ..................."

Fund maintenance fees and the fine print will get you every time... Plus there is this now: https://www.gofundme.com/ladders-to-get-over-trump039s-wall

They promised a gofundme tunnel fund too...

The free boat ride around the wall idea will be next, you watch>>>

"For a three hour tour,
A three hour tour.
The weather started getting rough, ..................."
That's hilarious... I hope the wall and ladder are tall. I don't need any that are afraid of heights ;)

I don't think it's a ride up already in January... I'm no wallstreet expert but in the housing market is starting to smell allot like it did in 07' things are almost to easy right now that it's kinda scary, especially since history always repeats itself.
One thing I remember from 9/11 is the smartest man I've ever known (my boss at the time) sold off everything he could sell fast and bought stocks like crazy. Then on 09' he actually bought his farm back for roughly half what he had sold it for. He was never a rich man, never seen him in pants without holes but his kids where given some gigantic inheritance when he passed a few years ago.
I don’t expect it all to come back in January but by maxing out in January you enjoy the whole ride instead of a set amount every month. Timing is everything.

This happens about a thousand times a week just between the stretch from Piedras Negras to Nuevo Laredo. They charge newbies $800 each to cross. The 'regulars' cross back and forth as work or holidays require no charge. The ranches on the other side of the river from me are 40,000 acres and 30,000 acres respectively.Heavy brush country. A fence isn't going to stop anyone. Patrolling challenging. However, they do have to get to a public road about 20 miles across the border where they are met and transported. Everyone down there knows that. Could there be a simpler more cost effective solution?

The guy in front is the coyote or guide. Makes daily runs. He's on our side of the highway now because for a short period of time the Mexicans are patrolling the river more intensively. There is a Mexican military outpost about 10 miles from this spot. Everyone on both sides of the river knows what is going on and could stop it today if the will was there.

View attachment 22092
Sounds like you need a powerline mulcher and some Tordon. Then punch a wall through.

I don't think any physical barrier will stop them unless it's manned. Hell, they are crossing countries, deserts, rivers, and mountains to get here. There is no wall or razor wire fence that will make them turn back... unless there is an armed guard standing there making it very clear they cannot go further.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
I assumed any wall would come with border patrol to watch it. The wall will not stop anything by itself but it will make it much easier on border patrol to protect the border.

Now Trump says he is going to close the southern border if the Dems refuse to fund. It won't stop the illegals, but will certainly cause problems for Pelossi's home state of California.

Getting interesting ... Dems aren't used to someone fighting back.

Hope he doesn’t shut the border while I’m down here