Ruger Precision Rifle Test by NRA

Native Hunter

5 year old buck +
If any of you NRA members get the American Rifleman, look at the test of this rifle in the recent issue.

They shot 3 different factor loads at 100 yards using the same test they usually do - five, 5 shot groups. The average of all groups was around 3/4 of an inch, and the largest 5 shot group fired with any of the three factory loads was 0.9 inches.

Just wondered if anyone had seen this or was interested in it at all. Pretty amazing accuracy for an factory rifle in my opinion.

http://www.ruger.com/micros/rpr/spec-18005.html

Yep,

Outstanding accuracy from a factory gun. The manufacturers seem to have things figured out. Many of the factory guns shoot better than the people shooting them.

Are you thinking about buying one?

Yep,

Outstanding accuracy from a factory gun. The manufacturers seem to have things figured out. Many of the factory guns shoot better than the people shooting them.

Are you thinking about buying one?

I'm seriously considering it. The only thing is that the gun tested came directly from Ruger, so its possible they could have picked a ringer instead of just at random. Yet, I have to believe most would be very accurate.

I don't understand for the life of me why they made the 308 in only a 20 inch barrel and the 6.5 Creedmoor in a 24. I like longer barrels and for me (personally) a 20 is a bare minimum in 308. There seems to be a lot of good loads out there for the 6.5 and I like the ballistics, which are very similar to 308. I just hate getting into another caliber, but if you could get that kind of accuracy with factory loads, there would be no need to ever handload unless you just wanted to save money. Also, Hornady makes the Superformance load in 6.5 Creedmoor in a 129 grain bullet, which should really smoke!

The state troopers would probably show up if someone saw me hunting with that in NY.

I've always had good luck with out of the box accuracy. I bought a DPMS 5.56 a number of years ago. Got it sighted in, and I was reaching prairie dogs at 250 yards with it. Also with target ammo. Same success with my henry .22 and my CVA .50 cal.

Seems many manufacturers are claiming 1" or better accuracy from hunting rifles these days. I like a more traditional firearm for hunting than that shown.

Buy a good rifle, try a few different factory ammos, break in your barrel and clean it properly without damaging it and most of the time you will have great groups out of a mass produced rifle.

That is great accuracy for sure but at 10.60 lbs with out scope it's no hunting rifle. Look's like it belongs on roof top in Fallujah !

Buy a good rifle, try a few different factory ammos, break in your barrel and clean it properly without damaging it and most of the time you will have great groups out of a mass produced rifle.

Very true and plenty good enough for most any deer hunting. I've just always been interested in extremely accurate guns.

Seems many manufacturers are claiming 1" or better accuracy from hunting rifles these days. I like a more traditional firearm for hunting than that shown.

I wondered what you would think of that gun Foggy. I lean toward the more traditional too, but warming up to some or the AR designs. I really like my FNAR 308.

I think that is our age showing, Tom.

I'll bet if I tried one, I would like it, but by old traditional guns work just fine.

I think that is our age showing, Tom.

I'll bet if I tried one, I would like it, but by old traditional guns work just fine.

You have some good points here Art. I have even grown to like old lever-action guns from the 1800's and single-action revolvers over auto-loading guns. Dunno why.....maybe the old simple stuff is just more fun or nostalgic.

^ At some point, you turn into a dinosaur I suppose. The younger guys will laugh at that.....but it will happen to them sooner than they think. ;) I can still remember my father-in-law telling me he was too old to want to learn to operate an electric type-writer - over his old manual. Then he tried mine with auto-corret......and could not go back. o_O

Most of the difference in the gun shown above is simply a cosmetic change. Pistol grip, adjustable but-stock, metal and plastic stock. Big movement required to operate safeties and noisy clicking stock adjustments - yadda yadda.

But the metal and plastic is cold and noisily. How you gonna rest that forearm on a deer blind windowsill and recoil smoothly?.....or hold that gun in a bare hand when its below zero? These weapons almost require leather shooting gloves so you don't tear your flesh. Not a "gentleman's sporting rifle" IMO. Great as a SHTF gun tho.

I wondered what you would think of that gun Foggy. I lean toward the more traditional too, but warming up to some or the AR designs. I really like my FNAR 308.

I've owned a Colt HBAR Elite for over 25 years......so this design / appearance is not new to me. I met Stoner (the designer of the AR platform) at the SHOT show when the civilian market for these guns was materializing. I turned down the opportunity to build cleaning rod guides (bore guides) for this gun at that time. (you might say I made a mistake :D)

Later I made a cleaning rod guide for the AR......and shot my AR extensively......both on the bench and at Prairie Dog shoots. I sold the spit outta those bore guides. ;) I still don't care for the platform.....but understand many do.

I've owned a Colt HBAR Elite for over 25 years......so this design / appearance is not new to me. I met Stoner (the designer of the AR platform) at the SHOT show when the civilian market for these guns was materializing. I turned down the opportunity to build cleaning rod guides (bore guides) for this gun at that time. (you might say I made a mistake :D)

Later I made a cleaning rod guide for the AR......and shot my AR extensively......both on the bench and at Prairie Dog shoots. I sold the spit outta those bore guides. ;) I still don't care for the platform.....but understand many do.

Cool story, and please don't make any more mistakes like that.:D

You have some good points here Art. I have even grown to like old lever-action guns from the 1800's and single-action revolvers over auto-loading guns. Dunno why.....maybe the old simple stuff is just more fun or nostalgic.

^ At some point, you turn into a dinosaur I suppose. The younger guys will laugh at that.....but it will happen to them sooner than they think. ;) I can still remember my father-in-law telling me he was too old to want to learn to operate an electric type-writer - over his old manual. Then he tried mine with auto-corret......and could not go back. o_O
I've got a thing for old weapons too. I had a phase where I was trying to get my hands on old Colt pistols. That never happened due to the fact that anything pre-WWII was pretty darn expensive if it was for sale. I met a guy at a gun show in Duluth that had a 1911 that was one of the first batch ever made. I think it's serial number put it the first year of production.

I've also been looking for an original Colt single action army, but those are also a fist full of gold to take one home. So for now, I've had to get new guns built to old specs from Cimarron. I've got two now, a stainless 5.5" SAA in .45LC, and a 7.5" SAA in black matte also in .45LC. That cartridge doesn't get the fan fare I think it's earned. There's something about a 250 grain flat nosed slug moving slowly. That to me says "stopping power." One of these days I want to get a Henry Big Boy and a mare's leg in .45LC to go with them.

Last edited:
A "precsion" rilfe to me is one that is used for competitive shooting. !' groups in competitive shooting are not gonna compete very well. I've seen numerous PRECISION RIFLES that will shoot groups under 1/4" MOA......and some that will shoot substantially smaller groups. I have a Stolle Panda-action custom gun that can put 5 shots into a group measuring .087" - just a "bug hole". THAT is a precision rifle. I'd have a hard time calling a 1" gun "precession" these days. Just saying.

A "precsion" rilfe to me is one that is used for competitive shooting. !' groups in competitive shooting are not gonna compete very well. I've seen numerous PRECISION RIFLES that will shoot groups under 1/4" MOA......and some that will shoot substantially smaller groups. I have a Stolle Panda-action custom gun that can put 5 shots into a group measuring .087" - just a "bug hole". THAT is a precision rifle. I'd have a hard time calling a 1" gun "precession" these days. Just saying.

I would agree with that. And I would bet that you go to some extreme measures (as most benchrest shooters do) in case prep, weighing and spinning bullets, etc. to get those type groups. The one hole guns also need one hole ammo. It's an interesting science.

I think one would have to agree that "precision" is in the eye of the beholder in some instances. I have the utmost respect for guys that can consistently shoot sub 1" MOA groups, but much of that is the equipment as much as the shooter, now the sub 1/4" MOA guys, that is just insane. One also has to realize that there are a whole group of hunters out there that think hitting a pie tin 10 out of 10 times at 75 yards is pretty precision shooting, in there minds at least. I think these new tighter shooting rifles can only help guys like that to improve their shooting, whether they are purposely trying to improve or not. I do know that Savage is producing some bolt guns with very good off the shelf accuracy these days as well.