MOA Challenge

b116757

5 year old buck +
Guys

Here is a bit of an accuracy challenge it’s more difficult than most folks realize to actually shoot MOA consistently or on average. For those of you that like to shoot try shooting 5 five shot groups on one target at 100 yds it’s been a while since I’ve done this myself but I will include a photo of a 8 five shot group target I shot some time ago with one of my AR-15’s as an example. That particular gun will average .75 MOA if I do my part. That is with hand-loads worked up for that rifle, sandbag rests and that is not a mil spec AR-15.

Attachments

• IMG_0129.jpeg
    IMG_0129.jpeg
    354 KB · Views: 29
Great idea. I was planning to shoot a little this weekend anyway.

Nice shooting.

Another challenge that ties back to a recent thread. Folks that have a rifle/ammo that "shoots sub MOA" should be able to hit a 1" circle on command @ 100 yards right? Try it. Lots of folks measure 3 or 5 shot groups and then say "my rifle shoots XX MOA" usually based on the tighter groups and assumption the larger ones were shooter error. Lots of us then extrapolate that to "well I can shoot 1" @ 100 yards, so I can hit a 5" target @ 500 yards" and the sigs and leupolds and gunwerks of the world will advertise you just need to buy their thing and its easy as turning a turret. Once folks try hitting a 1 MOA target with their "sub MOA" rifles a number of times it paints a picture of how groups are one thing and hitting a target of a given size is another yet.

Last edited:
Nice shooting.

Another challenge that ties back to a recent thread. Folks that have a rifle/ammo that "shoots sub MOA" should be able to hit a 1" circle on command @ 100 yards right? Try it. Lots of folks measure 3 or 5 shot groups and then say "my rifle shoots XX MOA" usually based on the tighter groups and assumption the larger ones were shooter error. Lots of us then extrapolate that to "well I can shoot 1" @ 100 yards, so I can hit a 5" target @ 500 yards" and the sigs and leupolds and gunwerks of the world will advertise you just need to buy their thing and its easy as turning a turret. Once folks try hitting a 1 MOA target with their "sub MOA" rifles a number of times it paints a picture of how groups are one thing and hitting a target of a given size is another yet.
Sometime ago I had acquaintances (hunters) who were big on some custom turret design that they believed gave them the ability to shoot 500 yards and beyond with precision. I asked one what altitude/pressure was it calibrated for, and then explained that if he thinks he is going to pull off that 1,000 yard kill there is a full mil difference between where he is standing and where he plans to hunt.
It seems many rifle/ammo/people combos can produce sub-moa groups, but very few can do so consistently.
I like this guy, he's got some good tips. The best part starts at 2:30, watch those velocities.

Great idea!

we should do a postal match competition……..

show yer groups!

I’m game what range how many shots on target any time constraints like say a month to post them up? Or caliber requirements? Different classes center fire versus rim fire?

If only I could figure out how to finance a 100m shooting tunnel under my pasture.

If only I could figure out how to finance a 100m shooting tunnel under my pasture.
When I was in the biz and putting up a new building.....I considered adding a100 yard underground shooting range as a part of my building. When I considered all the ventilation and other requirements....I soured on that idea pretty quickly. I'm just too frugal. Sure glad I did not spend money on that now. Interests have changed from those times.

I propose free hand class, bench rest class, caliber / cartridge rim fire and center fire , 100 yards.

Oh I’m not serous but it would be a hoot to have one. There was an underground mine of some sort for sale down near Joplin Mo a couple three years ago that in all honesty was going very cheaply for what it was I sort of wish I’d of purchased it now. Not really for a shooting range but….

Well idk about freehand I’d be lucky to hit a paper plate once freehand at 100 yds
Yep.....I think freehand requires too much discipline for this old body. I do appreciate the few folks that can shoot well that way......I just aint one of 'em.

I propose you only have to enter the class you want

Single 5 shot target per class?

Y knot?

I was just going to pull out the 6.5prc I bought my wife last year and see if it makes me as unimpressed as last year. Its a bergara R7 clone, and it shoots just as well as real R7 costing half as much.

Maybe just have one match at a time? Scoped Rimfire Rifle at 50 yards for a starter?? (I said rimfire because my 22 LR gun is in OZ. I do have a 17 HMR here tho.....grin.)