MOA Challenge

Ok

i won’t be home until September 7.

I got a few rimfires!

Well I have got to wait until the daytime high temp drops below Satan is at the door asking to borrow a cup of sugar anyway so that maybe September sometime anyway.

I took the 6.5 prc out yesterday. I tried three new loads that produced something that was not even worth the photo. 3" - 1.5" groups at 100yds. I still feeling inconsistency in my case sizing when I chamber rounds, so that's part of the problem. The only good news is the non-lead barnes did the best, which is what will be used in the field. I am still not hip on a 6.5 for elk. A friend shot one with a 6.5cm last year and was very disappointed in the performance.

This thread made me think of last fall when I was checking our deer rifles. My son has a 30-06 that my dad gave him, and I handload for it. It’s now a spare rifle, because we both shoot 300 mags. I shot the 06 one shot at 200 and just put it back in the case. See below. That’s a full throttle load with a 150 grain Hornady SST bullet

I’m going to shoot that gun again in a few weeks. Will be interesting to see what happens.

IMG_2120.jpeg

I should have shot a bit this weekend it was somewhat cooler but I was sprayed Johnson grass and brush before I managed to tear the wires out of the PTO solenoid. After that I called my boys to the new farm and we tore half of the roof tin off one of the barns that’s getting a new roof this fall. The wind had already removed about 15% of the tin for us.

Getting ready for my Moose hunt. Sighted in my 300 WIN MAG at 100yards with 180 grain bullet. The last 3 circled were after I adjusted after the first couple of shots. Was off a shooting bag.

1693846691905.png

Last edited:
This thread made me think of last fall when I was checking our deer rifles. My son has a 30-06 that my dad gave him, and I handload for it. It’s now a spare rifle, because we both shoot 300 mags. I shot the 06 one shot at 200 and just put it back in the case. See below. That’s a full throttle load with a 150 grain Hornady SST bullet

I’m going to shoot that gun again in a few weeks. Will be interesting to see what happens.

View attachment 56462

Looks like you're between scope clicks on zeroing. Just have to remember to hold one half of a 1/4 MOA click low haha.

Well I finally did a bit of shooting today may play around some more but so far I really like the Norma Tac-22 ammo. I’ve tried 8 different ammo’s out of two different guns 50 yds from a bench 5 round groups. I will likely be buying more of the Norma Tac-22 ammo looks like good stuff.

Magnum Research 10/22 clone

Remington Golden bullet value pack 1.27”
Winchester 333 pack 36 gr 2.64”
Federal Champion 325 round blue box 2.30”
Winchester Super X 40gr 2.17”
Federal Auto Match brown box 40gr 1.46”
Aguila Super Extra 40gr 1.22”
Federal Auto Match Target Grade 40gr 1.05”
Norma Tac-22 .58”

Ruger M77 target model

Remington Golden bullet value pack 2.33”
Winchester 333 pack 36 gr 1.72”
Federal Champion 325 round blue box .74”
Winchester Super X 40gr 1.26”
Federal Auto Match brown box 40gr 1.19”
Aguila Super Extra 40gr 1.66”
Federal Auto Match Target Grade 40gr 1.25”
Norma Tac-22 .88”

Attachments

• IMG_0236.jpeg
    IMG_0236.jpeg
    287.4 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_0235.jpeg
    IMG_0235.jpeg
    244.8 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
Shot a savage 1899 TD in 300 savage. 168 grain nosler combined technology’s

A .308 BLR take down. 165 swift sciroccos

note the group the BLR shot before I moved the scope!

100 yards to a piss poor rest on the back of a flat bed.

two inch groups of two shots.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    315.5 KB · Views: 15
Shot a savage 1899 TD in 300 savage. 168 grain nosler combined technology’s

A .308 BLR take down. 165 swift sciroccos

note the group the BLR shot before I moved the scope!

100 yards to a piss poor rest on the back of a flat bed.

two inch groups of two shots.
My brother used a model 99 Savage as his hunting gun growing up he loved that thing. I believe he still has it in his safe but it doesn't see to much inclement weather in a deer stand any more.

My brother used a model 99 Savage as his hunting gun growing up he loved that thing. I believe he still has it in his safe but it doesn't see to much inclement weather in a deer stand any more.
I had a savage 99 in 250 Savage. Was just a beautiful gun. Sold it many years ago in a weak moment. Always regretted that sale. It was best as an antelope gun I suppose.

Then I got another Savage 99 from my BIL whom took it in place of cash on a past due debt. I paid him a fair price for it. It too is a very nice gun....and it's in 308 Winchester. Perfect for my needs. I put a scope on it and it is a real shooter. Will group at about .5". The only bad thing is the trigger is a bit crunchy....so you really need to focus on shooting it. Not many smiths are willing (or qualified IMO) to do a trigger job on these great guns.....or I would have it done by now.

I may have to take that gun hunting this year. I sure love the looks, feel and ability of those well made, classic guns. It just fits my body.

This 1899 is my go to rat dog take down.

I had the barrel cut down and target crowned, thinking about getting a front sight put back on her.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    425.7 KB · Views: 12
This 1899 is my go to rat dog take down.

I had the barrel cut down and target crowned, thinking about getting a front sight put back on her.
I had no idea they ever made that style rifle in a takedown that is a very cool old rifle. I best not mention that to my brother he will be down that rabbit hole.

I can sell him one.

you could give it to him for Christmas!

No thanks but that is cool old rifle

I had a savage 99 in 250 Savage. Was just a beautiful gun. Sold it many years ago in a weak moment. Always regretted that sale. It was best as an antelope gun I suppose.

Then I got another Savage 99 from my BIL whom took it in place of cash on a past due debt. I paid him a fair price for it. It too is a very nice gun....and it's in 308 Winchester. Perfect for my needs. I put a scope on it and it is a real shooter. Will group at about .5". The only bad thing is the trigger is a bit crunchy....so you really need to focus on shooting it. Not many smiths are willing (or qualified IMO) to do a trigger job on these great guns.....or I would have it done by now.

I may have to take that gun hunting this year. I sure love the looks, feel and ability of those well made, classic guns. It just fits my body.
I agree I have owned several 1899/99s they all shoot well.

The actions are not as strong, so reloading is a challenge,

I think the barrels were made very well.

The triggers can be dodgy.

There is a gun smith i follow on another forum that does very cool work on some of these old lever guns, ruger #1's, etc if anyone ever had a one off project request he'd be a good guy to talk to.

There is a gun smith i follow on another forum that does very cool work on some of these old lever guns, ruger #1's, etc if anyone ever had a one off project request he'd be a good guy to talk to.

Where is he located (cannot tell from website).